What's new

I've been hacked!

Chamm, that sounds like good advice. Seems to me that it can be boiled down into two pieces: 1). Buy a Mac and 2). stay off of obviously fishy websites. Now, excuse me while I leave before the Mac haters roll in :lol:

Hehe... I didn't want to start a holy war. I don't hate Macs. I'm very eclectic in my choice of operating systems. Windows 8.1 is every bit as secure as Mac. I also like Linux or servers. I have firewalls that run on BSD. And I wouldn't want to manage a network with anything other than Active Directory, so there's plenty of love to go around to all OSes.

Hehe... I didn't want to start a holy war. I don't hate Macs. I'm very eclectic in my choice of operating systems. Windows 8.1 is every bit as secure as Mac. I also like Linux or servers. I have firewalls that run on BSD. And I wouldn't want to manage a network with anything other than Active Directory, so there's plenty of love to go around to all OSes.

They all have their pros and cons. You are definitely correct.

I've recently found out that an unauthorized purchase was made using my credit card. :(
I have already presented evidence to my bank showing that it wasn't me who authorized it for them to return the charge, but they said it would take 45 to 180 days! This is such a hassle. Do you have any tips or software you use to prevent hacking? Thanks!

Yeah...I'd dump the bank credit cards. I'll take a discover, cap1, or anything not linked to my bank accounts.

With this kind of thing, you'll want to reduce your risk, so that potential thieves will look elsewhere than your account.

1. Use different passwords on each account, and make them as random and unpredictable as possible.
2. Change your passwords regularly.

Since the purchase was make on your credit card, change the password on the relevant card. If you can't change the password, request a new card.

#1 is solid advice. #2 not so much...its not like rotating a secure password is gona make things any harder. What it does: it makes you forget and have to write it down or other non-secure things. Now if you get a cc stolen then by all means change the password to the account.

1). Buy a Mac and 2). stay off of obviously fishy websites. Now, excuse me while I leave before the Mac haters roll in :lol:
What is obv fishy to me is just a new itunes update to you! :p
Just to do my part trying to kill a rumor...having a mac isnt fool-proof 100% protection against virus or malware.

I'm surprised one mentioned this yet...use two factor authentication if it's offered. For me, one of biggest gripes I have with websites' security is when they make you use security questions and answers. So that means I have to change my security answers too, otherwise hackers might be able to guess them. Two factor authentication seems more effective and less work for me. Hopefully more websites will catch on. It would also be helpfully, from what I've read, if more websites had "https", meaning encryption, but again that's something for admins to do. I think more people need to ask for these things and maybe we'll get faster results. I also read something about Google is considering marking all unencrypted websites as insecure in a future chrome release. Maybe the other browsers will do the same.

This happened to me in Oct with a capone card. CapOne told me they are 95% sure it was a vender I used that got hacked. Im pretty sure it was home depot as I also got a letter from my bank that my debt card was reported as a card that was used by a vendor that got hacked. Well there isnt many places I have used both cards at the same place over the last year or so. Now when it happened Capone sent an email asking me to contact them, once I did the account was shut down and 75%. of the funds were returned in 36 hrs. The other 25% took about 4 days because Capone said they had to wait for it to post before they could stop the transaction. In the end I was very impressed with the service I got.
Good luck with this. It shouldnt be to hard.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It may or may not be a hoax.....but I read yesterday that some hacker kid released something like 13,000 stolen passwords and credit card numbers on the web.

What really made me think was the title "hackers leak thousands of passwords because this is how we live now"
That last part is troubling. "this is how we live now"

Top Bottom