What's new

BBS Shave On The Neck?

I've been using a straight razor for a few months now and think I'm proficient enough because I've been cutting myself even less than I ever did with my old Fusion cartridges. I have no problem getting BBS on the face, but on the neck is still extremely difficult and I seem to feel micro-stubble no matter what. On the extremely few occasions when I was able to get BBS on the neck, it took WAY too much longer than it should have — most people would have been able to go get a car wash, oil change, grab breakfast and come back home before I finished shaving.

Are there any techniques I could use to get BBS on the neck more easily and quickly? I haven't been able to find any videos specifically about that, so no reference to look at. Should I just go buy a safety razor because this is all a waste of time? I sure hope not. Please help...:w00t:

The challenge I have on my neck is that the darned razor is too long, given the surfaces to be shaved and the hair growth patterns. No matter how or where I shave, some part of the plane being shaved is not going to be hit properly. This isn't a problem with the smaller DEs and Carts. So I had to break down those shaving surfaces into smaller sections and figure out the best way to shave them. They tend to be between the ligaments or tendons or whatever they are and my adam's apple. Stretching, super close shave angles, and learning to use the rounded heel of the razor were key.

And still there is no BBS guarantee. But I'm more interested in the journey still (I keep telling myself). BBS consistency will come. Eventually.

I hope.

I cannot shave my neck ATG without irritation, for me it is a sensitive area. However, two (and a half) consecutive WTG passes do the work just fine. Not exact BBS, but pretty close to it without irritation.

Don't stress it, it took me many months more than you've been using the straights for before I managed to nail down the angles and passes/techniques for BBS on my neck, due to the horizontal growth pattern I have. I still don't often nail the BBS on my neck, and I don't stress for one with the rare exception of special occasions. As was stated, some have great luck with smiling blades since they give that scything type action on the stubble without having to do a different stroke, and others pick up shorter length blades to make the angles easier to attack. Still others just don't worry about it, and if needed still hit that spot with a DE for a final pass if they really desire the BBS.

I cannot shave my neck ATG without irritation, for me it is a sensitive area. However, two (and a half) consecutive WTG passes do the work just fine. Not exact BBS, but pretty close to it without irritation.

No reason for irritation. Are you sure about the edge?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Chasing BBS is probably the easier way to razor burn or nicks (or worse). My scruff grows back pretty quickly, so even if I hit BBS, I have to shave again the next day.

I remember someone posting something like this a few years ago....
Only you and SWMBO will know if you have gotten a BBS,
but everyone across the room will know if you have razor burn.

I have a pretty simple neck, but I hit a BBS shave with no irritation for the first time this morning.

I used Proraso pre/post before the last pass, had a super slick lather and had an angle that was so shallow that I almost felt the whole blade against my skin.

I was really careful to only shave lathered skin, and I also used a scything motion on the trickier spots. I had to blade buff close to the chin. During the whole time I used practically no pressure and went with short and slow strokes.

I know I just said all basic stuff, but angle, pressure, only to shave lathered skin and to go slow - it really can't be stressed enough!

I told myself these things repeatedly during the shave, because I felt how I started to cheat. But keep at it and be disciplined! :)

It wasn't done by me, I let a pro from a shaving discussion board finish it. I fiddle around with it but am not good at honing and stuff, so better get it done by those who are. :)

Are you doing the underhand upstroke on your neck for second pass.

Is that when you hold the razor with the handle pointing downward and the blade at an upward angle, stroking away from the face? Yes, I have done that, but only a few times (that I can remember), so definitely haven't gotten the hang of that particular stroke yet. Does it make a difference for you?

Sorry, I got lost. I mistakenly thought I was asking the OP. Anyway, if either of you are stropping on leather without pastes, then the problem is probably not an overcooked edge. Maybe work a bit more on the strop. Are you HHT? Irritation is either usually an edge or as suggested above a pressure problem. Or, maybe a too many strokes without cream. But a good edge with proper and repeated prep should not deliver irritation.

Top Bottom