What's new

Bitters

So, I'm really looking at getting some bitters on my next visit to the liquor store. Just curious what everyone's favorites are. Also, how do you like to use them? I was thinking of just using a dash in a couple fingers of neat whiskey to see what the differences are. Am I asking for trouble there?

I have a bottle of grapefruit bitters that makes an AMAZING gin & tonic. Three shakes in a G&T and it has depth that can't be beat.

Regarding your idea, give it a try. Even if you are asking for trouble it's only for one glass...

Angostura Bitters in a G&T as mentioned above really adds to the drink IMHO. I also use them in Manhattans. Good for cooking too; adds flavor to gravies, marinades, etc.

A dash of Angostura is essential for a Bloody Mary (in addition to Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, lime juice and Tabasco of course)

There is a fairly obscure drink called "pink gin". A good bit of Angostura Bitters and Gin. Swirl the butters in an old fashioned glass to coat, then pour out the excess. Add the gun (usually Plymouth). A staple of the Royal Navy when bitters were a tonic. I'm sure this would be tasty with all kinds of other bitters.

Last edited:
Angostura is a staple, must have. Peychaud's are must for Sazerac, and I like them as a slightly more mellow alternative. I may actually try it in gin as suggested by Edcculus. Grapefruit bitters sound phenomenal, I'll have to try to track that down.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I have the Angostura, but partial to orange bitters, the bottle of Regan's will probably outlast me though for all that either is used.

I also have some different flavored bitters made my Fee Brothers. Walnut, plum and peach. I've also tried their orange and celery. The celery bitters are awesome in a bloody mary. My favorite use for the orange bitters is actually just to put a few dashes in some carbonated water. The walnut and plum are really good in a bourbon and soda.

Angostura Bitters can be drunk straight in small quantity. After a hearty meal sometimes it's the only thing that will suffice. It's kind of like jagermeister or Kräuter Schnaps in that few people drink it this way.

One of my favorite cocktails -- it deserves to be better known -- is the Seelbach, named for the Louisville hotel of that name. It was lost for decades and rediscovered. Bourbon, Cointreau or triple sec -- with two kinds of bitters: angostura and Peychaud's. It makes a difference. Topped off with sparkling wine and a twist of orange zest.

Angostura is my typical go to.

Fee Brothers Whisky Barrel Bitters are warmer than Agostura - more cinnamon & spice

My liquor store sometimes carries a sampler by "The Bitter Truth" of 20 ml bottles: Old Time Aromatic Bitters - Celery Bitters - Orange Bitters - Jerry Thomas' Cocktail Bitters - Creole Bitters.
The Creole bitters have a bit of heat -- interesting and very good in a manhattan. Celery are good in a Martini or Gin and Tonic.

Wasn't impressed with Regans Orange Bitters -- very light, gets lost in anything stronger than water.

really want to try [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bittermens Xocoltl Mole Bitters, but haven't acquired a bottle yet.[/FONT]

I have only used Angostura in Old Fashioneds, but this thread makes me want to try it in other things, especially gravy or BBQ sauce...

A dash of Angostura is essential for a Bloody Mary (in addition to Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, lime juice and Tabasco of course)

Oh yeah definitely doing Bloody Marys this weekend now!

Angostura also makes a good orange bitters. I like Dram Citrus Medica as well. If you are going to be in Europe pick up Mozart chocolate bitters. Bitter End makes Mole Bitters (spicy chocolate). Bob's Grapefruit is great in gin based drinks.

If you are in NYC check out The Meadow. They have the biggest sellection of anyone in NY and they put out testers.

Try Fee celery bitters in your Bloody Mary/ Caesar and rhubarb bitters in your Old Fashioned.

+1 on the rhubarb in an Old Fashioned
For me my most used is Fee orange, it works well in so many drinks both alcoholic or not.

Made Bloody Marys with bitters today. Drinking one now actually. Dunno if it was the bitters or what but these are my best batch yet, and I thought they were already pretty good!

Angostura (or Fee's whiskey barrel) AND Fee's Orange (Angostura Orange if you can find it) completely make a Negroni.

A few dashes of Angostura in soda really helps an upset stomach. (hangover remedy)

Top Bottom