What's new

TOBS Avocado - Great performance but the smell isn't for me!

I didn't care for the Avocado at all and ended up giving it to a friend. My favourite TOBS are Jermyn St, Eton College and Mr Taylor.

Cheers, George

I thought the same thing it's my least favorite TOBS cream out of all 14 scents i've tried.

The scent when lathered just like old wet grass or something. I think it smells a little better before it's lathered.

Like the original poster, I ordered some cream samples from Maggard, and TOBS Avocado was my least favorite. It is the only cream I have tried so far with a smell that I flat out do not like. It's like an old woman's skin cream! I decided that I would give it a try this morning, however, and I was thoroughly impressed with its performance. Of the 20 or so wet shaves I have had so far, this cream gave me my first shave with absolutely no irritation. My alum block usually tells me where I've irritated my skin, but today there was no sting anywhere. Everything about the shave, except for the smell, was great. So with that being said, I'm a little conflicted.

I don't know why I bougt TOBS lavender. There's nothing about the scent I like.

I tend to dislike lavender in general, so that's one that I would avoid to begin with, but what is it that you dislike about the TOBS lavender? Did they formulate the fragrance poorly, or do you just not like lavender?

The scent of the St. James is really, really nice. Got a tub from my mother-in-law for XMAS. Unfortunately I have to wait until XMAS to use it.

I love the scent. It's my favorite TOBS scent by far. I had a sampler and the only other sent I really liked of theirs was Jermyn Street and Mr. Taylors.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I feel I am growing away from the ToBS avocado, as well. I wish it smelled more truly like an avocado, but there is a strong floral component that I did not expect. It doesn't smell bad, mind you, but it was not what I was expecting or hoping for.

It is a fantastic cream, though. I doubt I will get rid of it, but the past few days have found me drawing back from it and reaching for other scents. I might see about trading it for some grapefruit (or just picking some of it up). I do like citrus, especially grapefruit, and intense does not turn me off.

TL

I didn't care for the Avocado at all and ended up giving it to a friend. My favourite TOBS are Jermyn St, Eton College and Mr Taylor.

Cheers, George

Lucky friend! I do agree with you on Eton & Mr. Taylor being great, but Avocado is still one that makes me go "wow" when I use it. To round out the list, I also have Shaving Shop :)

I really enjoy the TOBS avacado. I don't prefer heavily fragranced products, and that's why this one appeals to me. I find the scent light, and it doesn't linger on my face. And because it's not strong, I find it goes well with my choice of ASB. If I don't buy another after my current tub is done, it's only because I want to explore more variety, but I'd recommend this one for people who don't like perfumed types of products.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I tell you what. I went and picked up my tub of Avocado the very morning after my last post in this thread. I liked it. I liked it more than I had in the beginning and much more than the time before. Hell if I know what clicked, but I enjoyed every whiff during a quite luxurious shave.

I doubt I will go it very often, but I'm quite comfortable with it in my den, and I know that it's there when I want it.

TL

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I really enjoy the TOBS avacado. I don't prefer heavily fragranced products, and that's why this one appeals to me. I find the scent light, and it doesn't linger on my face. And because it's not strong, I find it goes well with my choice of ASB. If I don't buy another after my current tub is done, it's only because I want to explore more variety, but I'd recommend this one for people who don't like perfumed types of products.

+1 On the light scent. Not my favorite scent but still a top cream performer.

My experience with the avocado was the exact same as the OP's. Love at first smell, not so much after using it. Agree entirely that the performance is at the top of TOBS offerings. Wish I liked it more. Eton College is my #1....I'll open it sometimes during the day just to smell it.

Top Bottom