What's new

What foods bring up good memories

Kolaches. Homemade ones, not the donut shop ones. Prune filled, Apricot filled, Cottage cheese filled, and Poppyseed. Also , Roleekees(small breaded roll covered in a powered sugar icing, rolled in chopped pecans).
Rabbit and dumpling stew.

Oh, man, now I'm going to have to dig up my grandmother Dvoracek's old recipes.
The kids like it when the wife and I spend the day making Kolaches.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Kolaches. Homemade ones, not the donut shop ones. Prune filled, Apricot filled, Cottage cheese filled, and Poppyseed. Also , Roleekees(small breaded roll covered in a powered sugar icing, rolled in chopped pecans).

This is something I try to pound in my stepdaughter's head- kids like simple things like this, family time. That is why my grandchildren don't want to leave our house

This is one of the things from the restaurant I worked at. I can probably make it in my sleep and crave it now and again.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Fried venison backstrap. I haven't eaten this in a long time. We ate it all the time as a kid because we were always out at the ranch. Dad, granddad and the older fellers who drank, cussed and smoked too much. But, they always cooked the best venison.

The foods that do it for me are typically Fall and Christmastime desserts. My happiest memories are of this time of year, so pecan pie, and anything with cloves or cranberries fill me with joy!

My maternal grandparents would butcher their own beef, and would can the homemade hamburger...these made the best meatballs!

My paternal grandmother made the best apple dumplings and cinnamon rolls!

I dearly miss my grandparents.

+1 Rabbit stew sounds extraordinary.

The weather is getting cooler, and soon it will be time to hunt some rabbits, for this stew.
Hint, hint.

Hmm, I just remembered. There is a family, a block or two away, that raise rabbit, just for food. They have about 30-40 at all times. Now I just need the recipe.
I have not eaten rabbits raised for food before. Only wild rabbit. Is there a big difference in taste?

The domestic ones are less flavorful and fattier. I have to find the dumpling part of the recipe. I haven't made that part in a few years. Lucky you, they aren't the kind you have to roll out, more like drop biscuits you put on top before hammering the bowl in the broiler.

The less flavorful and fattier should not be taken as a knock on domestic rabbits. They are delicious and preferable for most recipes.

I've had this before...it's certainly a confusing delicious sort of a combination of goodness. Southern for sure.
Definitely country... Farm food in Minnesota

When I was a kid, the neighbor made fresh Kolachies, and Montgomery Mn used to have a Kolachie fest every fall.

Fresh bread and pecan coffee cake. Since we all fought over the crusts, Grannie would make "bullets"... some of the loaves were like all crusts

Fresh Lefsa and Swedish meatballs from the Norsk down the street.

Sweet and sour cabbage and side pork.

Homemade tomatoe soup

Homemade sauerkraut and fresh bratwurst.

At butchering time:
Fresh blood sausage

Top Bottom