What's new

*Pics* My collection of NEWS

I've been trying to collect (by this weekend I will have six), and I thought I had a problem. Turns out, I fit right in!!!:thumbup1:

Nice herd, and more pictures!

Pics of the Deluxe please..

$deluxe (2).jpg
$deluxe (3).jpg

Last edited:
You also have there at least 2 RFBs, if my eyes didn't fail me. One is obviously the #77, and is that a #88 (same as #77 but different case) next to the English Flat Bottom in the bakelite case, 6th picture?

Also, what's the razor in the case right bellow? The one with a Tech Handle? If the handle came originally with that head, most likely another RFB, since only these came with that handle style.
Oh and btw ... New Improved don't count, they're not NEWs! :tongue_sm:lol:
My pics are all screwed up, and I'm at work so I can't tell which is 6th.

The tech is a new thin handle I got. I know I have at least 2 of the English Flats...

And you're saying my New Improved doesn't count towards the 17mm comb? Another thing I must acquire? Heh...

I will take a look at the pic you provided later this evening after work.

My pics are all screwed up, and I'm at work so I can't tell which is 6th.

The tech is a new thin handle I got. I know I have at least 2 of the English Flats...

And you're saying my New Improved doesn't count towards the 17mm comb? Another thing I must acquire? Heh...

I will take a look at the pic you provided later this evening after work.

Then it's probably a Flat Bottom with that thin handle. Awesome shavers too.

No, the New Improved are not the same thing as the NEW DeLuxe 17mm, they are not even NEWs ... :tongue_sm

The two Deluxe I have are 17mm, and I am not planning to get a 15mm, as most people say the 15mm version offers a slightly uncomfortable shave due to blade chattering, so I'm not even bothering. If anything, I'll get one more 17mm Deluxe.

Great looking collection Matt. :thumbup1:

Edgar, remember the previous discussion?

See middle handle. Squared off shoulder, and a completely different grip pattern.

That is what Gillette called the "husky" handle. Show at the bottom of this ad. It came in a Flat shoulder-less version and a Rounded shoulder version.
I'm not sure if it only shipped with New DeLuxe heads, but I have a couple regular US Long Comb heads that came with the husky handles.

Closeup from the ad. Image from Mr. Razor.

$Capture.JPG

Here is my New handle picture for reference. This does not show the British New handles, which are a whole different animal. I can also post a comparison image of those if you like.

Here are some of the various handles that came with New and New DeLuxe heads.
proxy.php

From the left:
Ball End, Husky Bar flat shoulder, Husky Bar rounded shoulder, Common bar, Norfolk bar, Thin Long bar, Thin bar, Fat Tech, Thin Tech, Tuckaway.

Last edited:

That is what Gillette called the "husky" handle. Show at the bottom of this ad. It came in a Flat shoulder-less version and a Rounded shoulder version.
I'm not sure if it only shipped with New DeLuxe heads. But I have seen a couple regular US Long Comb heads with the husky handle.

View attachment 502366

Here is my New handle picture for reference. This does not show the British New handles, which are a whole different animal. I can also post a comparison image of those if you like.

From the left:
Ball End, Husky Bar flat shoulder, Husky Bar rounded shoulder, Common bar, Norfolk bar, Thin Long bar, Thin bar, Fat Tech, Thin Tech, Tuckaway.

Excellent info, Chris!

What do you think about the different pattern? Do you also think it was caused by buffing too much (or whatever they did before replating) or do you have another theory?

To my eye knurling looks like it was over buffed. The metal on that part of the tube is pretty thin. But it also possible that the knurling tool was worn or not square to the tube when the handle was made.

The bottom of the base plate may measure 17mm, but the head is not the same and the shave doesn't feel the same either, IMO.

New Improved:

View attachment 502335

NEW DeLuxe

View attachment 502337

+1 Shave is way different, I think Im going to try the NEW SC again soon, but for my newbie strokes, the deluxe head was easier to use.

Then again, I dont own a new improved and my comparison was based on a razor you guys werent even talking about...carry on gentlemen. Ill go back to spectating.. :thumbup:

Last edited:

I'm not sure if it only shipped with New DeLuxe heads, but I have a couple regular US Long Comb heads that came with the husky handles.

View attachment 502366

proxy.php

From the left:
Thanks for weighing in.

I too thought it was a flat husky at first, but the way the knurling spirals is what still has me curious. I would think if it was polished/etc down, that the original squarish (for lack of a better term) pattern knurling would be visible, albeit reduced in profile. I might try a jewelers loupe next time I unpack.

But back to that pic (which I have saved long ago with all the handle/comb variants)....isn't that tuckaway handle the same as the one with the improved?

Are those your pics with the grid background? I found that to be most helpful when comparing the NEW varieties....though I'm still a little confused. My Norfolks both came in a tuckaway...which is what the decorative handle is called...which may or may not sport a Improved/Deluxe head???

And if I take the Improved comb, place a NEW cap on it (from a SC/LC/etc), then won't it be the same thing as a 17mm Deluxe? Or no? Cuz it would sure as heck be easier to toss on a couple of NEW caps than find a 17mm with one already on (though Edgar promised me he would pick me up a spare after he gets his THIRD 17mm :tongue_sm).

Last edited:
Matt, the heads are not the same, as mentioned above.

Plus the blade alignment system is not the same either, you can't use a cap of a NEW on a New Improved, the same way you can't use a NI cap on a NEW, they are not interchangeable.

The New Improved has studs and the NEW has alignment bars, two totally different and incompatible blade alignment systems.

EDIT: The only cap that would likely fit the New Improved (and vice versa) is this one, the English Round Pin NEW:

$CAM01260.jpg

Last edited:
The New Improved has studs....
Ahhh....dangit...I had myself fooled up until the studs came in to play. No wonder that can't be called NEWs.

I wonder what the dollar/mm ratio is going to be for me to acquire that correct comb. Grrrr...

Yes, the grid images are mine. I find the grid helps with measurements and scale as each square is one inch.

The tuckaway handle came with both New Improved and New DeLuxe heads.
But as Edgar stated they are two different families of razors. They just happen to share that handle. Perhaps Gillette had the tuckaway handles left over when they released the New DeLuxe?

Last edited:
Top Bottom