What's new

I have a FEW Gillette NEW questions

Over time I've been lucky enough to obtain the following Gillette NEWs (from right to left in the pic below): a Made in USA Common Bar handle NEW, a 2-piece RFB Made in England NEW, a 3-piece RFB Made in England NEW and a FB Made in England NEW w/ the French Import stamp Importé D'Angleterre. All are very fine shavers and I've enjoyed using all of them, yet one of them really stands out from the others and I'm wondering why.

First I should say I've been using my Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid exclusively for the last 7 years and got the 3 British NEWs to compare to the Hybrid as they have very similar baseplates. You know, just one of those goofy thoughts that finally comes to light. Anyway, the British FB NEW with the French Import stamp Importé D'Angleterre shaves much more like my Tech/NEW Hybrid than like a NEW and I can't for the life of me figure out why?

Is it because most if not all NEWs were really designed with a thicker razor blade? Does it have to do with manufacturing dates, with later models being more mild? (Forgive me I'm just guessing here.) Or maybe because the base plate + cap of the NEW with the French Import stamp more closely resembles a Tech? Has anyone compiled measurements of blade gap/exposure etc of various Gillette razors?

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

:sailor:

IMG_1922.jpg

Brian, I am by no means an expert like some of the other brothers, but I have a similar set of NEWs and Tech FB like you - except for the Hybrid (I could say obviously, but you have one, so maybe not so obvious to you :lol1:). What I have found is that the NEW shaves just a notch different than my NEW Flat Bottom. The reason I believe is that with the RFB, FB and Hybrid (which are basically all the same design except for the safety bar or the open comb of the baseplate) have a truly flat bed on the baseplate compared to the NEW which is ever so slightly curved. That changes the angle of attack or the exposure of the blade. So yes they are similar, but not the same in terms of baseplate.

Based on your photo I would say this holds true for the FB on the far left and the US NEW on the far right. The middle ones wil give yet another experience as they have more weight on the head. But the feeling should be more similar to the NEW than the FB - although I cannot yet account for that myself. I am getting a RFB for my birthday :thumbup1: - and that's not yet 👎

I would say your Hybrid falls completely out of tune with these - need my address? :devil:

Enjoy your very fine collection!

Guido.

Has anyone compiled measurements of blade gap/exposure etc of various Gillette razors?
'Fraid not :crying:, but I found it interesting that our taste seems to be at opposite poles.

My favorite open comb razor is my three piece NEW RFB, with my NEW FB in second place.

My favorite SB razor is my Flat Bottom Tech, with my Tech/NEW Hybrid in fourth place (after my Wolfman WR2-SB 1.25 and my [Chinese] 2020 Gillette Tech [sold with Super Gillette Blue Blades*]).

Gillette-Super-Stainless_2020-06-26.jpg

BTW, I use custom handles on all my razors.

You probably didn't want to know all that... but I couldn't resist replying. :blushing:

'Fraid not :crying:, but I found it interesting that our taste seems to be at opposite poles.

My favorite open comb razor is my three piece NEW RFB, with my NEW FB in second place.

My favorite SB razor is my Flat Bottom Tech, with my Tech/NEW Hybrid in fourth place (after my Wolfman WR2-SB 1.25 and my [Chinese] 2020 Gillette Tech [sold with Super Gillette Blue Blades*]).

View attachment 1650891

BTW, I use custom handles on all my razors.

You probably didn't want to know all that... but I couldn't resist replying. :blushing:
No you make a valid point because I sometimes wonder how my Tech/NEW Hybrid would fare up against some of the modern razor offerings, but that's a rabbit hole I've chosen to avoid as it's just too deep a shaft. Besides, using the same razor/brush/soap every day for 7 years straight has never left me wanting to replace anything.

That is, until now... maybe.

Well, if you stick around I just may PIF you one...

Very kind Brian and I respectfully state that another brother might be very happy with that one. I have seen the one I am getting - it’s already in the house - but I have to wait to July. That’s all, I have enough razors to keep me busy until then!

Speaking of razors and collections, do you have your stable complete with a NEW Short Comb as well? I have heard the SC is smoother. My New Improved at least is.

Cheers,

Guido

Has anyone compiled measurements of blade gap/exposure etc of various Gillette razors?

You might want to check this post:

Guido

Top Bottom