What's new

Damaskeene razor angle

Does anybody else shaving with a 1912 Damaskeene feel that it leaves behind shaving cream? I've experience this with open combs, but my damaskeene is a closed comb. Does this mean that perhaps I'm not using the right angle (although my audio feedback is right on point and it certainly mows down several days of growth)?

I seem to consistently get smooth shaves on certain areas of my face, but rarely get a BBS in others. Guess that all comes down to my technique.

Another question: how do you guys feel about two WTG passes, potentially followed by an XTG to reduce irritation? I usually do a WTG, semi XTG and an ATG (I don't follow the general guidelines because I know my beard pattern pretty well and understand where I can get away with cutting corners, so to speak - pun intended)

Thanks, gents.

My Damaskeenes (including an open comb model) do not leave behind shaving cream. My guess would be that you are indeed not using the correct angle, possibly using too steep an angle. The cap should almost be against your face.

Too steep an angle means that you are scraping the whiskers off rather than slicing them off. SE blades are really sharp so this actually works, just less efficiently and with more irritation. It makes noise, too.

I start with the cap against my face and raise it up just until I can feel the blade, and I get the audio feedback.

As for passes, WGT, XTG, etc., whatever works best for you.

--Bob

Top Bottom