What's new

RESULTS - Study on Lather Preferences and Shaving Experience

In honor my of 2,000[SUP]th[/SUP] post, I thought I’d better make it a good one! So here goes!
:001_smile

The study is officially over! In case you missed it, I recently set up a thread to collect information on lathering preference combined with shaving experience. Now that we have received a large number of responses, I am now very excited to share the results with all of you! Results are here:

# Years Wet Shaving:
2 or less49%
2-1025%
10-2511%
25+15%

Not surprising. Clearly the number of wet shavers is growing rapidly… I think we all have felt this in many ways over recent years.

Lathering Method:

$chart 1.png

Our study shows that nearly 2/3 of B&B members prefer to face lather, while only 1/3 prefer to bowl lather (see % above bars). It’s interesting to see that this trend holds relatively constant across experience levels (look at the % listed in each section of the bars). I always have thought in the back of my mind that shavers with more experience tend to face lather more than newer members. Based on these results, it seems like that is actually not strongly the case. Also of note: no members who had been shaving for more than 10 years liked to face and bowl lather equally. Clearly a preference for face or bowl lathering tends to develop over time.

Product Preference:

$chart 2.png

Interestingly, soaps have somewhat of a cult-like following, with 68% of B&B members preferring this form of product. Very surprisingly, we see virtually no difference in preference between the option of “creams only” or “creams and soaps equally” (see % above bars). This is not what I expected… it seems as though there is strong loyalty for soaps among B&B members, but cream users are less likely to strongly prefer one product over the other. Again, these trends are relatively consistent between each experience level. But if anything, in the higher experience levels, we see that people are more likely to prefer soaps and creams equally than just creams alone! All together, this gives us an interesting indication that soap performance might indeed exceed the performance of creams.

Method and Product Preference:

$chart 3.png

What’s most interesting to me in this chart is that lathering method is split equally within cream users, however the very strong majority of soap users prefer to face lather. Combo product users don’t seem to have nearly as strong preferences. This is an interesting result… it suggests that perhaps creams are equally effective when bowl or face lathered, but that soaps work much more effectively when used for face lathering (instead of bowl lathering).

Takeaways:
Overall, I’ve found this study to be very interesting. I hope you have too! It’s clear that we have a strong preference at B&B for face lathering with soaps, and that this trend holds true across experience levels. Is this because the soap and face lathering combo provides the best comfort and/or performance? Or is there some other reason behind this trend? I don’t know, but I’d certainly love to hear your thoughts!

I hope you’ve found this study enjoyable. It’s certainly got me thinking… hopefully the same holds true for you.

- Badger Bill

Wow.... Very interesting study indeed.
Is this because the soap and face lathering combo provides the best comfort and/or performance?
Could it be because AFAIK there are more soaps in the market than creams?? And again from what I've read here it could be due to the fact that some soaps (Tobs, Cella,Tabac) are considered by many the top products for lather.

Interesting study and a great breakdown. I'm in the face lather with soaps category which evolved over time from the bowl lather with creams. It's actually my favorite part of the shave and I spend extra time there every day. Feels great, really preps my facial hair and I have complete control over the lather.

Thank You for the interesting study Bill, After over 50 years the face lather with hard soap and brush has been like a comforting morning massage before starting my day.
Denis

That really is interesting. I'm pretty new, less than three months, and I'm currently a soap user. I haven't decided between bowl and face lathering. I started out face lathering, and recently started trying bowl lathering. I've come to see advantages to both, but haven't picked one. I think face lathering is a little harder to get right. The first time I did it I didn't use enough water and the soap dried up and started flaking off before I finished my first pass. But I think it is probably much better prep when it's done right, which means it probably leads to a better shave. I think that is reflected in your study. If face lathering is more challenging, but yields a better result, it makes sense that more experienced shavers prefer it, while newer shavers either bowl lather (possibly because they've given up on face lathering) or only sometimes face lather (possibly because they still haven't mastered it).

Of course that is purely speculation and is based only on my own experience and opinion. The study itself does not really imply that at all, it just kinda maybe coincides with my opinion.

Neat results. I fall into the less than 2yrs category. I've only used soaps, never any cream and don't really have any desire to, although I wouldn't snob my nose at the thought. Face vs bowl depends primarily on the brush that I desire to use on any given day, although even when bowl lathering I will fine tune the lather once I apply it to the face.

@Countrydirt - Sometimes I will bowl lather just to use my G12 scuttle. It really is a beauty!

Interesting study and a great breakdown. I'm in the face lather with soaps category which evolved over time from the bowl lather with creams. It's actually my favorite part of the shave and I spend extra time there every day. Feels great, really preps my facial hair and I have complete control over the lather.

Thank You for the interesting study Bill, After over 50 years the face lather with hard soap and brush has been like a comforting morning massage before starting my day.

even when bowl lathering I will fine tune the lather once I apply it to the face.

Noticing some common themes here? I think there's a lot of truth to this. I've been thinking a lot about why you can better adjust the lather consistency while face lathering, and it's making me think that the answer is simple… because you can feel it on your face, perhaps? While bowl lathering everything is done purely by vision, alone. I think it makes a lot of sense why this would make it harder to generate lather of a perfect (or near perfect) consistency.

Thanks for gathering, Bill. Very nice study!

Thanks James!!

Thanks for taking the time to do this study. Of course, the results will have no effect on how I lather, but it is interesting to know how others do it and how it correlates with their experience, etc. Good work.

Thanks for putting this together Bill, very interesting.

I started off bowl lathering with cream, but have progressed to face lathering with soap. I find I get a slicker lather with soap, and lathering on my face lets me feel when it's ready rather than trying to judge by sight, although I do look for a gloss in the lather. I also enjoy the feel of face lathering, especially with my big Omega and MWF.

That's a very interesting study Bill.

Thanks for taking the time to do this systematically and sharing the results.

Wow.... Very interesting study indeed.

Could it be because AFAIK there are more soaps in the market than creams?? And again from what I've read here it could be due to the fact that some soaps (Tobs, Cella,Tabac) are considered by many the top products for lather.

Seems possible. My guess would be that the number of fantastic artisan soaps have also skyrocketed in recent history, while, to my knowledge, creams have stayed pretty much stagnant with the more mass-produced standbys, producing more loyalty to the soaps.

Sweet! Nice work.

One question. How many participated?

Found the poll thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ather-Preferences-based-on-Shaving-Experience

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! I don't recall off-hand exactly how many people participated, but when you take into account duplicate postings or replies in the thread, I think the actual total number was somewhere around 85… so definitely a reasonably large sample… I was quite pleased with how it turned out. Very interestingly (and this is a great thing, actually), I came across a simpler poll on B&B that asked the single question of Bowl vs. Face lather, and it was created within a week or two of this study. Our percentages from the two studies were nearly identical. So that gave me some good confidence that our sample size here was large enough to make these results very meaningful.

Top Bottom