What's new

Coffee Storage

This is a question about fresh roasted coffee in the bag. I understand that once opened the coffee should be stored in a cool dark place in an airtight container. Even at that, it should be consumed within a couple weeks.

I just received an order of beans today from Nathan's. Roasted date of 9/21/14. I won't be able to enjoy these until 9/30/14 due to travel (not an option to bring along). Would I be better off leaving them in the bag they came in (unopened) until then or opening them and putting them into my Airscape container?

$20140924_152712.jpg$20140924_153146.jpg

Assuming that is a paper bag and not some fancy foil lined bag with an air escape valve, I would transfer the fresh roast to your Airscape container to reduce exposure.

Would it be better to leave it in the bag if it was a lined bag with an air escape valve?

Would it be better to leave it in the bag if it was a lined bag with an air escape valve?

In that case I don't think it matters, as both storage methods should keep the oxygen out and reduce the flavor degradation. But on some consumer-satisfaction/branding/emotional level I would prefer to keep the beans in their original bag until the point of first brewing.

Thanks all. I just bought the Airscape so this is the maiden voyage. The disk inside pushes down to the level of the coffee beans
and compresses the air out. Then the sealed cap goes in place on top of the canister. Hoping it does the job. Anyone with experience with this container?

Yes, I have the large one and I love it! You will have no issues with it. If my Airscape is in use and I pick up another roast that I want to save for a while, I have had good luck vacuum sealing the beans using my FoodSaver.

Top Bottom