What's new

How rare is it?

At the moment, I am currently searching for a Gillette Aristocrat (British version) that I want to purchase; however it seems rather difficult to find.

How rare is it with the case?

Last edited:
Depends a lot on which model you're looking for ... there's many different British Aristocrats.
The most common probably are the #66 ... the #15, #16, and the #21 are not so common for example.

Or versions of these in other plating or traveler cases aren't very common either ... the #19, #3 ... etc...

Others will know more about these.

I am aware that there were different variations of this kind; however, I would be interested in a common one.

There's not only one kind ... you haven't even specified if you want OC or SB ..

A common one would be the #66. They're not terribly common, but they pop up quite frequently on eBay.

Depends a lot on which model you're looking for ... there's many different British Aristocrats.
The most common probably are the #66 ... the #15, #16, and the #21 are not so common for example.

Or versions of these in other plating or traveler cases aren't very common either ... the #19, #3 ... etc...

Others will know more about these.

This right here is why we love you Edgar! Of course, just one of many reasons. But you sure are knowledgeable and I for 1 know I appreciate it a lot. :thumbup1:

Welcome to B&B SI197981

Sorry. I am not an expert on the history of safety razors and models, but I would be interested in SB.

The #66 is a SB ... most people prefer the #16, but then again those definitely are less common than the #66, more expensive too.

This right here is why we love you Edgar! Of course, just one of many reasons. But you sure are knowledgeable and I for 1 know I appreciate it a lot. [emoji106]1:

Welcome to B&B SI197981
Nah ... the experts are guys like Porter for example. Wish I had 1/4 of his knowledge about razors.

A Gillete #66 would probably be the easiest to find as mentioned already. The hardest one to find at a decent price is the elusive #15 open comb, took me almost a year to find one at under 200 bucks as most go for $300 and over on the bay.

Okay. That is understandable. Thank you for that information. I may consider to search for a number 66. My reason for this search is because I love the design of the handle. That makes me appreciate safety razors for what they are.

I would not consider myself as a "collector;" however, at this time, I own three safety razors from Gillette. I would like to include one more to make the number even, since I cannot tolerate odd numbers. Sorry, but I am strange in that way. That is how I have always been.

You're welcome, but I'm sure others will provide their opinion too.

I'm on Tapa, didn't realize you are new to the site, welcome to B&B!

Yes, I am fairly new to Badger and Blade. I established an account nearly one year ago. Unlike most members here, I am not necessarily a die-hard fan of shaving and everything else related to that, so I am not active. Even so, I enjoy to shave the old fashioned way, since I have been doing this for slightly over a year. I use safety razors, of course, and I do not look back at disposable razors. A great decision I made.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also say the #66 is your best bet. Just set up a search on Ebay and snag one. They come up at least a few times per month. They are not as common as say a Tech or New but they can be obtained. The other ones mentioned (15,16, 21, etc) are much more difficult to acquire and typically 3 times as much.

I just want to apologize for the "want to buy" post I made here. Since I am still new to this website, I am not fully aware of all of the rules.

Sorry for the trouble. That was not my original intention.

I would also say the #66 is your best bet. Just set up a search on Ebay and snag one. They come up at least a few times per month. They are not as common as say a Tech or New but they can be obtained. The other ones mentioned (15,16, 21, etc) are much more difficult to acquire and typically 3 times as much.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a number 66 on EBay. Thank you for the advice.

Hello and welcome to B&B. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

I'm not sure how to calculate rarity. Clearly, there were fewer higher end models made and sold. Be patient and diligent in your search. Half of the reward and satisfaction comes when you land the single piece that you seek.

Top Bottom