What's new

Burning Aftershaves

Wow, you weren't joking on Cat O' Nine Tails! I ordered the Captain's Choice sampler pack, and tried it out today after reading this thread. Amazing burn, and smells good too!

That's the thing with CO9T...it's not just a burn. It's a fantastic face feel, great smell, AND a burn that will stop you in your tracks to wait for face to melt off. A good burn, but not a harsh burn. As someone else said it's an "engineered burn"

That's the thing with CO9T...it's not just a burn. It's a fantastic face feel, great smell, AND a burn that will stop you in your tracks to wait for face to melt off. A good burn, but not a harsh burn. As someone else said it's an "engineered burn"

Sounds terrific.

I got HTGAM's Autumn Factory and am getting quite a burn from it but I don't think it is supposed to hurt...I may be allergic to something in it. I have not tried any of their other aftershaves so I can't verify if the alum or menthol could be causing it. I use alum by itself and have other soaps/aftershaves with menthol but this is worse. I was really hoping it was an issue with my shave yesterday.

It's also nothing like the pleasant warming sensation I get from CC CO9T (as long as my shave was good)

So I also got the HTGAM Autumn Factory. Firstly, it smells like awesome. This is now my go-to scent for October/November. Hands down.

The burn? Almost allergic reaction-ish. Makes CC CO9T feel like you're rubbing a glacier on your face. HTGAM AF has an insane burn. But, much like Ben Gay, it follows up roughly three minutes later with the menthol cooling affect.

I'll deal with three minutes of insanity for the awesome fall scent all day.

Last edited:
I knew Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum would be frequently mentioned in this thread! As luck would have it, my very first bottle of Pinaud VIBR arrived today and I was quite excited to finally try it. Between rushing and talking to my 4 year old daughter, I had a careless and rough shave and was actually apprehensive about using my new VIBR, having heard of its reputation as a scorcher. I came up with the strategy (*cough*chickened-out*cough*) to use Musgo Real AS splash first. Once the Musgo dried, I liberally splashed on the VIBR...and it didn't burn at all!​

i guess this is more a testament of the healing power of Musgo Real, or a tip on how to tame the VIBR beast - sorry for drifting off topic!

What no mention of Osage Rub? Used it this morning and felt like I poured napalm on my face.

Brilliant. That's exactly what I want.
I've just cut out everything that doesn't burn. All balms are gone plus this Biotherm gel afterhsave that is just too weak. All Captain's Choice are in plus Proraso green and Fine American blend. I'll have to find some of this Osage Rub, too.

Has Dominican Bay Rum been completely discontinued? Seems like everywhere indicates SOLD OUT or DISCONTINUED.

Supposedly there was a disease infecting the Bay producing trees. They're going to have to build up enough of a tree population to produce again so I guess if you believe all that it is on hiatus, indefinitely.

Wonderful burn from CC Bay Rum this morning. I just love how for about half a minute it feel like you're in a sulfuric acid rainstorm. The drops are pelting your face and then suddenly the clouds part, the sun comes out, the birds start chirping and you're ready to begin a glorious day.

Florida Water. It can burn like using gasoline as an after shave, after using a cheese grater to shave with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom