What's new

Soap or cream.

I wish to announce that I am an official soap vs cream convert. The lather is much more slick and if I dare say CREAMY. Just weird....

Once I learned how to get a good lather from soap, I also converted. I get a thicker, slicker lather with my HTGAM soap than I do with the C.O. Bigelow/Proraso cream. They both have their place, though.

Hi Brian,

Looks like we've been on the forum about the same length of time. I have made some nice lathers from soap, but I still seem to prefer uberlather. I'm not sure yet if it is just because I'm using so much product that I can hardly go wrong :tongue_sm or if I really like it better. Ironically, I have not tried making a lather just from cream yet.

I guess old comfy habits tend stick with me. I been a brush and mug face latherer for a lot of years, guess I learned it from my Dad watching him when I was a youngster, I've tried the creams, gave me a nice lather but I always seem to go back to the old mug. It seems to be comforting to feel my brush wipe up a nice lather on my face.

I used hard soaps for years, with a brush, even when I wasn't using a DE razor. Now that I'm back with DE shaving, I have discovered how much I like creams and croaps as well. As long as I can raise a good lather, I don't care. I bowl-lather exclusively.

I prefer hard soaps and croaps but really like a lot of the croaps and creams as well. It's hard to knock a high quality cream like Musgo but soaps are generally more economical, last forever, and have no issues when traveling by air so it just makes a lot of sense to go with them most of the time.

I prefer hard soaps and croaps but really like a lot of the croaps and creams as well. It's hard to knock a high quality cream like Musgo but soaps are generally more economical, last forever, and have no issues when traveling by air so it just makes a lot of sense to go with them most of the time.

thats a good point David...

I've been exclusively a "soap man" for many years, at one point having nearly 70 in my den. I'm now down to maybe 20 different soaps in my den and have been on a cream kick of late.

Between the limited supply I have, one thing I've noticed is that creams tend to dry out faster than soaps. But for lathering, overall the difference is about the same regardless of brand.

I like both soap and cream. I use boar brushes for soaps; badger or synthetic for cream. I mug/bowl/scuttle and or face lather both as my mood and circumstances allow/dictate. Even with the hard water I have, I find that after the learning curve for almost any new product, I can get a decent comfortable shave -- but then again I recently spent several years self-flagellating myself with an electric shaver...AAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

I use them all soaps, creams, croaps. I never know what I'm going to use until I open the cabinet after a hot shower. I'll go chunks of time where I favor one type of product and I'll go chunks of time where I'll use something different every day. Options are great.

Hi, I also consider better off a puck than a tube, even when the foam be worst sometimes (lack or technic inconsistences).

Top Bottom