What's new

Started a journey back in time

Well...I did it.

I shelved my Mach3 and loaded up a Schick I2 HydroMagic I just got from eBay.

I've been using my M3 for about 15 years (!), and before that a Schick injector. I've been "wet shaving" forever (except for a brief dalliance with electrics that we won't talk about...), and recently upgraded my badger brush and joined B&B...life is good!

I noticed a definite improvement in my M3 shaves thanks to the brush, new soap, and better technique -- resulting in better lather.

So...I decided to I wanted to use a "real blade" (SR and DE users can scoff...I know, I know...) and go back to the injector that I grew up with.

I showered, wet the beard, loaded the I2 and...

Not what I expected. I was very tentative (I could actually see the blade, for crying out loud!). And -- after several (3-4) passes, not BBS, probably a DFS. And there was [gasp] blood! And I mean to tell you the AS splash was stunning!:w00t:

My analysis (probably obvious to y'all, but I need to expound...please excuse me): I really need to be aware of the blade angle...I think the trick is to essentially lock my wrist. With the M3 I could ignore the blade angle...the !@#$%^ razor figured it out for me. Not any more...

Since I shaved for many, many years with an injector and canned goo and did OK, I believe I'll eventually figure this out and be happy with it. Need to break current bad habits...and re-acquire old ones...then correct them.:bored:

A question for other recovering cart users: should I (1) quit the M3 cold turkey in favor of the injector or (2) alternate them and eventually phase out the vile cart razor? I'm afraid if I don't just toss the M3 and tough it out, I won't develop the "muscle memory" necessary to control the blade angle...alternating would make that a much longer (but perhaps less severe) trip.

Feedback appreciated...thanks!

My muscle memory of using a Fatboy for twenty years, decades ago, returned as soon as I hooked up with another one this year. I was surprised. I still had to work on my technique, prep as well, as things have changed. Except for my razor and my right arm, I guess. I looked at my Mach 3 on the shelf, wondering if I should try it again, just to compare. Now, 8 months in, never; I'll stick to DE.

Welcome back! No reason to scoff at an injector - they get a lot of love on B&B.

I wouldn't throw away the M3 yet, but I wouldn't use it. Sometimes if you can't get a few hairs without causing carnage with your "new" routine, a cartridge can be helpful. Also, if you're just learning it and need to travel, it might be worth taking the cartridge on the road. Neither of these scenarios sound like they would apply to you, since you already know what you're doing, just need to get in the hang of it again. I haven't touched my Fusion or Braun since starting DE.

Welcome back! No reason to scoff at an injector - they get a lot of love on B&B.

I wouldn't throw away the M3 yet, but I wouldn't use it. Sometimes if you can't get a few hairs without causing carnage with your "new" routine, a cartridge can be helpful. Also, if you're just learning it and need to travel, it might be worth taking the cartridge on the road. Neither of these scenarios sound like they would apply to you, since you already know what you're doing, just need to get in the hang of it again. I haven't touched my Fusion or Braun since starting DE.

Not scoffing at all...I believe it's a fine razor. I'm just suffering from operator error...need some more shave time.

I actually have 2 M3's...one for travel. I think I'll bestow my beloved with one of them...better that than to the landfill -- or a cigar box in the basement.

Check your blade to make sure it didn't get buggered when you injected it. Especially if you loaded it into an empty razor. If injected into an empty razor (one that doesn't already have a blade in it), the blade can drag the edge across the blade stops and ruin it. Watch the blade when you inject it--it should go in well away from the blade stops, then when you pull the key out, the head should close on the blade and push it against the stops--not across them.

Well...I did it.

Since I shaved for many, many years with an injector and canned goo and did OK, I believe I'll eventually figure this out and be happy with it. Need to break current bad habits...and re-acquire old ones...then correct them.:bored:

A question for other recovering cart users: should I (1) quit the M3 cold turkey in favor of the injector or (2) alternate them and eventually phase out the vile cart razor? I'm afraid if I don't just toss the M3 and tough it out, I won't develop the "muscle memory" necessary to control the blade angle...alternating would make that a much longer (but perhaps less severe) trip.

Feedback appreciated...thanks!
I used SEs and Injectors my first eight years, + / - , before trying DEs again, and mastered those as well at that point. I held onto an Injector until the Sensors arrived, because I wear a mustache, and the DE was and is, awkward trimming around on my upper lip. I don't think I ever cut myself with a Gem SE. Why not make that your backup choice? When I started, I was fourteen, and at a terrifically clumsy stage.

I'd just shot up eight inches from 5'4" to almost six feet, my hands and feet felt two or three sizes, or more, too big for the rest of me (I only gained about 20 pounds that summer, so from 115 pounds to 135), and DEs were like torture implements in my hands. SEs seemed sent from Heaven by comparison.

Check your blade to make sure it didn't get buggered when you injected it. Especially if you loaded it into an empty razor. If injected into an empty razor (one that doesn't already have a blade in it), the blade can drag the edge across the blade stops and ruin it. Watch the blade when you inject it--it should go in well away from the blade stops, then when you pull the key out, the head should close on the blade and push it against the stops--not across them.

Good tip...thanks! I did check that...carefully watched it load, and it seemed OK. It was a little reluctant to accept the injector key, but it came to me without a blade, and hey...it's about 50 years old...to be expected...? But I'm pretty sure the blade loaded OK...it went in high in the razor, totally clear of the blade stops, once the key was fully inserted. Then I withdrew the key slowly and watched the blade settle gently against the stops. Hopefully, future loadings will be "slick as a Schick" and will be second-nature (to me and the razor).

I'm sure it's me...on the far left of the learning curve. I will persevere...

Last edited:
Welcome! I also just recently tried an injector for the first time. Fortunately for me I have been using DE and SE for about a year and a half prior to this so my technique didn't change so severely as your had to. Stick with it and I know you will be happy very soon.

Welcome! I also just recently tried an injector for the first time. Fortunately for me I have been using DE and SE for about a year and a half prior to this so my technique didn't change so severely as your had to. Stick with it and I know you will be happy very soon.
Thanks for the encouragement! I guess I am little disappointed...because I used injectors for many years (my first "wet shave" well before I knew what that meant) I expected it to be "like riding a bicycle" to go back to it.

I guess the recent years riding a Mach3 really screwed me up. And now I am being punished :blushing:

Oh, well, I'll suck it up, get some sensitive-skin balm to soothe the razor burn, and keep at it.

Thanks for the encouragement! I guess I am little disappointed...because I used injectors for many years (my first "wet shave" well before I knew what that meant) I expected it to be "like riding a bicycle" to go back to it.

I guess the recent years riding a Mach3 really screwed me up. And now I am being punished :blushing:

Oh, well, I'll suck it up, get some sensitive-skin balm to soothe the razor burn, and keep at it.

One other piece of advice, I'm sure you already know this but for me one bad habit I picked up from cart razors was using too much pressure. That was a hard one to fix for me. But the razor burn was gone once I lightened up. That and I stopped trying to go against the grain on my neck. It's just not going to work for me.

One other piece of advice, I'm sure you already know this but for me one bad habit I picked up from cart razors was using too much pressure. That was a hard one to fix for me. But the razor burn was gone once I lightened up. That and I stopped trying to go against the grain on my neck. It's just not going to work for me.
Good advice...thanks!

I'm trying...but the Mach3 virus is still in my system...maybe if I shed enough blood, it will leave me... :bored:

I think the injectors are similar in look/feel to the carts, so it is easy for a newbie (like me) to treat them like a cart. Big mistake! I've done some blood letting on an injector too. I primarily use it for trimming, and, once I learned to treat it with respect, I like it.

I think the injectors are similar in look/feel to the carts, so it is easy for a newbie (like me) to treat them like a cart. Big mistake! I've done some blood letting on an injector too. I primarily use it for trimming, and, once I learned to treat it with respect, I like it.
+1

Top Bottom