What's new

Should I buy a Muhle R41?

I'm currently using a Parker Deluxe safety razor and I'm not very happy with it. It's really hard to get the right angle, and when you do, it doesn't feel like the blade is close enough to the skin to get a close shave. If I take a steeper angle, it scrapes over the skin and causes irritation. So I started looking into OC razors and this one seems highly praised. But possibly dangerous.

I feel like I've really stepped up my game as a shaver and I need a razor that preforms well, but I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew with an R41. Does anyone use one regularly? Is it as scary as people make it out to be?

There's only one way to find out.

No it's not terribly scary, but like a lot of things out there it must be used correctly and not carelessly or complacently.

Try remove the base plate of your Parker and add about ten shims to keep the blade from flexing, and don't put the base plate back in. This is an easy way to establish if more aggressive is the way to go. If you feel it shows promise, go get an R41.

Last edited:
I think an R41 is something everyone should try once. I'm not sure how much experience you have under your belt but I held off on buying one until my 8th month in. I'm glad I did. Using an R41 in the beginning was pretty rough but eventually got easier. It's now reserved for tackling an extended day's growth

I used a 34C in the beginning well as an R89. The angles were very easy to find on each of those. If you're looking for something with a bit more bite, I'd suggest either a Gillette NEW or the Razorock SLAB. They feel more aggressive to me than the standard razor but are considerably smoother than the R41.

I don't really want to buy a lot of razors. I have SSAD without a doubt, but I just want to find one razor that works and stick with it. The problem is, I need a a better one than I've got, and I need it soon, because I'm really frustrated with it. Would an EJ DE89 really be enough of an advancement over what I already use?

I don't really want to buy a lot of razors. I have SSAD without a doubt, but I just want to find one razor that works and stick with it. The problem is, I need a a better one than I've got, and I need it soon, because I'm really frustrated with it. Would an EJ DE89 really be enough of an advancement over what I already use?

The 89 should be shimmable, but check into that first. Some razors don't really change even if you add a lot of shims. And some change a lot.

While the EJ razors are great, they are still on the mild side. If you want only one razor, you could do no better than finding a vintage Gillette New.

While the EJ razors are great, they are still on the mild side. If you want only one razor, you could do no better than finding a vintage Gillette New.
I thought they would be ridiculously expensive and hard to find, but I just googled it, and it seems one can be had for under 75 bucks. Maybe I will look into that.

The heads of Mühle R41 and Jaws are my favorites.

R41 is not the typical open comb. Actually it is even some kind of hybrid.
Pros:
- A very close shave.
- It is not picky with the angle. No other razor has as wide range of working angles.
- A very good precision has been used in manufacturing. Loading and aligning the blade is very easy.
- If you have the right blade and right preparation, you get a good shave without irritation
Cons:
- Of all razors I have had, no razor is as picky with the choice of blade as this one. Wrong blade will lead to irritation
- The shave is not feeling smooth while shaving, only the result is smooth and without irritation. It feels a bit like you are near to tear up your face, even though it does not happen.

Jaws is a cheap Indian open comb
Pros:
- A typical open comb in the little bit more aggressive range
- It gives a very effortless shave. I have used no other razor shaving so without effort as this one.
- Once you learn to use it, it is a very smooth shaver, even with Feather.
Cons:
- Several Jaws/Pearl/Cadet razors have the blade aligning pins slightly offset to one side making one side slightly more aggressive than the other. While many receive perfect ones, you have to be prepared to receive a slightly faulty one.
- You have to work a bit with aligning the blade

With both of these razors I get very good shaves. The latest week I have however slightly more often used the Jaws head as I want to enjoy the shaving itself a bit more rather than just the result.

Jaws could be bought for as little as $15 and comes with a good handle. You could buy even 3-4 Jaws for the price of one R41, so it is a very cheap razor, but still very nice. You could ask a well reputed vendor to open a Jaws/Pearl/Cadet/HTGM box and verify if the blade alignment pins are in the middle before they send it to you.

Personally I like both of R41 and Jaws better than Gillette NEW as it is easier to get the blade to reach to the skin in difficult sections under my sharp jaw bone. The shave is simply a lot easier and effortless in that way.

Last edited:

Nope. It would not.

Take the plunge! The R41 was my second razor. I have by no means mastered it and the learning curve has been steep, but I am getting better each day and it gives the closest best shaves I've ever had. I shave everyday (except Sunday) with it and with good technique it delivers excellent results. I'll second the importance of blade selection. I've been through about 8 different blades with it and some blades just don't work well with this razor on my face. If you don't like it, you can easily offload it here in the market pretty quickly.

I bought a R41 after 3 months in. It wasn't my 2nd razor, more like my 6th. It quickly became the only razor I use. If your technique is good and you are careful it is a wonderful razor. I tried a RR jaws, new open comb and a Red tip Gillette before the R41. There is just something about the design and feel of the R41 that fits me and I don't have any desire to use another razor. Good luck in your search.

I tried R41 after about 4-5 weeks of wet shaving and haven't looked back.
I sold the other razors I'd bought to try (two Merkurs - 180 and Slant).
I've been using only the R41 for 6 months.
Unless I'm some sort of innate supershavemaster, which is hardly likely, I really don't understand the fuss.
It's a very efficient razor and therefore needs some care. This takes a little getting used to.
But so does riding a bike.

For the price of taking your family to eat pizza you can satisfy your curiousity.

And if you don't like it you can recoup the biggest part of your investment easily on the BST.

The longer I have mine the less I shave with anything else.

It is not the most comfortable shave...the NEW holds that distinction.

But it is the closest, most irritation free shave I can get.

I don't consider the Muhle R41 to be the second razor to buy.

Too much too soon.

I (humbly) have to disagree with your statement. It was my second razor purchase and it's been my daily shaver ever since. It was an incredibly good choice for me. There is only one way to find out what is right for a person.

Top Bottom