What's new

Might make the switch to soaps

When I first stared shaving, creams were the only way to go. I tried Mike's unscented soap this morning, using Marco's method with a VdH boar brush, and had a great shave. I didn't even need to use a pre-shave oil! Nothing better than face lathering too! I think I might be buying a lot of soaps now...yikes.

Great shave though, has anyone else come to the conclusion that soaps rock?

Yes ! This one is great and many others ...Barrister and Mann, Tiki, Stirling, Queen's Charlotte....etc are excellent tallow based soaps

Yes! I used creams almost exclusively for my first six months or so...but I have since eliminated every one through pif, sale or trade. Okay, I may have a tube of Proraso around somewhere for old time's sake. I found true joy when I switched to face lathering with high quality tallow based soaps.

You gotta use soaps! If you don't, you will cut yourself out of many, many opportunities for exploration.

I love hard soaps, used them for 50 years, even in the Dark Years of blue Bics and Mach 3s. But this year, I have discovered creams. Now I am about 50-50, with many of the Italian creams I use almost solid enough to be soaps, like Cella. Bliss.

I stared out only using creams. The idea of soaps intimidated me. This year I took the plunge and tried some soaps and now my soaps outnumber my creams. I don't know why, but I get more enjoyment from soaps then creams. It only gets frustrating when you start to discover all of these amazing artisan soaps and know you will probably never finish a puck because of all the choices.

Why "switch"? Use both! I wouldn't be without either.

In the end, for me, if it's a scent I want (or think I want) then I'll take it however it comes.

But
Soaps are better. :biggrin:

I think soaps appeal to the hobbyist nature while creams appeal to the desire for luxury/pampering. I can enjoy both depending on the mood, but I tend more toward soaps. Don't get me wrong though, the results of lathering with a soap are just as luxurious as with a cream, but you have to put in the work to solve the puzzle to get there.

I tried creams - I just didn't take to them. I guess I am exclusively a soap person. But that's just me.
Also not sure of the difference between the shelf life of cream vs. soaps. I would think that soaps would outlast creams by a good margin.

I'm going the other way. I've had a lot of soap (well, I still do) and am finding that after 2 years, I like creams and croaps better. I think it's because I don't have a lot of time in the morning and the creams seem to whip up better. Maybe it's also because I can work my way through a cream faster and get to a new one quicker.

Like so many on this blog, I started out using creams. In the last year I gradually switched to soaps. No creams for me now. Creams are predictable and easy to use. They don't require much skill or thought. What a bore! On the other hand there is a huge world of soaps to explore each with a slightly different personality. Every time I think that I have found "THE ONE" to form a lasting relationship with, another one comes along that is better still.

Maggard is my new main squeeze. You owe it to yourself to try it. It is a shockingly good soap.

Top Bottom