What's new

The Bloody Boar Brush!

Hello B&B! My name is Mike and this is my first post outside of the "hall of fame". I recently purchased an Omega boar brush to add to my collection and couldn't be more excited to start breaking it in!

While led doing the routine dish soap, lather, let sit routine to eliminate the smell I noticed something strange. BLOOD on some of the tips! Now I understand where these brushes come from and how they are produced, yet it is still a bit unsettling. Have any fellow shavers ever come across this? If so, how should I go about removing the dried blood?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 436
It would not bother me, but if it is just one or two bristles, you can cut off those tips. Chances are that it will wear off over time anyway.

Thanks for the recommendation. If you don't think it would hurt I suppose I could do that. Hate to take a scissors to a brand new brush though.

As somebody that has butchered my own hogs since I was in my teens I promise a little pigs blood hasn't killed me yet.

Blood should come out with a little hot soapy water. Are you sure it's blood? Iron smell? It should be sanitized so there should be absolutely zero blood on it.

Haha it's hard to tell if it smells like blood, I mean it smells like a new boar brush. I'll just look at it as a bonus. I'll let you guys know if I die.

Well I guess it's a red mystery substance, the way it is dried on still looks like a thin layer of blood, has anyone else ever seen red tips on a boar brush?

I'd still try to get rid of the red tips. Even though it's probably not blood, it still *reminds* me of blood.

I also don't believe this is blood for some of the reasons mentioned above, color would not stay this red. I have seen a random red tip on one of my brushes, it hasn't changed in weeks of using it, I believe it is just a natural color anomaly from the pig.

Not sure how good my picture is but after careful examination on my 1250 I found the 'bloody' hair. After further consideration I am thinking an accidental misplaced drop of dye rather than somehing natural. It is really red.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 238
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 240
I would say dye, colorant, some kind of filament or thread or maybe even glue. Can you scrape it off the strand of hair?

I had a Kent boar that looked similar but the mark wasn't as large but it tuned out to be paint as it 'chipped off' when I kept playing with it. Though some of it died a tiny section of the strand of bristle it was on. Is that dark spot in the middle raised or is raised when you run your finger along the strand.. it could be paint. (i mention because the Kent had no red on the brush itself, it just was there)... but like the others say, the bristles are sterilized before its used by the makers.

Top Bottom