What's new

Had Turtle for the First Time

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
We have snappers in the pond, and those that cross the back yard to get to another pond, but never ate one...yet.

And maybe won't.

Don't even know how to clean one...I've just had frog legs for fresh water stuff...since I was a kid.

When I was in college (about 30 years ago), I studied abroad in Mexico and traveled around the country a bit. I ended up in Isla Mujeres, an island down near Cancun, where there were a few sea turtle farms nearby.

Did you ever take the ferry over to Coz. from Playa?

I've spent many a vacation in Coz., but just did the direct flight connection to CZM instead of the bag drag from Cancun to Playa.

You ATE turtle $Bart-Shaving.jpg?!
oh man I liked that guy.

Attachments

• $turtle.jpg
    $turtle.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
We eat snapping turtle and softshell here in NC quite often. My grandfather would make it in either a milk base like clam chowder, or a tomato base with vegetables in it. Very good stuff. I will say, that if you have a weak, squeamish stomach, don't even try cleaning one. It's the nastiest, stinkiest stuff you'll encounter cleaning an animal. I thought a gut shot deer or hog was bad, but....not even close to an old snapper. YAKKK!!!!

+1.

It's a lot of work and quite gruesome. I leave that to my brother-in-law.

Got to be careful eating turtle. There are some species that eat mushrooms that are poisonous to humans, but not poisonous to turtles. You can guess the rest.

To change the appearance now mick can use a fake handlebar mustache and a big Afro style wig. Otherwise he will have to be always on guard against the curious flesh seeking B&B'ers with chopping knives in their hands Lol (Pun Intended) :chef:

On a serious not I heard that killing of certain species of turtles is prohibited ?

used eat it every summer growing up.we looked for the big ones while we were fishing.soup,fried baked,however you cook it its good.

Top Bottom