What's new

Am I among very few who don't like MWF soap?

I guess I shouldn't say I don't like it. It was a very glide-y shave. But with the razor-blade combo I was using it was a bit too close for comfort. I was a bit put off by the strong Ivory like soap smell compared to the cream I normally use. I also found that it was way more slippery, and I was constantly having to rinse my hands so it didn't feel like I was going to lose my grip on my Merkur. I had been really looking forward to it. Had just gotten a nice ceramic, handmade apothecary style shaving bowl...it seemed so appropriate to go with the MWF. I haven't used it again since that first try. I know many DE shavers live and die by MWF. Anyone else have a different experience with it?

I find it to be very slick (extremely so) but it takes forever to load and the lather is always quick to collapse. But once I accepted that it still shaved very well despite having a horrid looking lather, it grew on me.

I get a good shave out of it, but it's nowhere near the top of my shave soap collection overall.

I have not tried it yet. Some people get a bit stumped trying to lather it. Mantic59 has a video on tips on how to lather it properly. Perhaps it is worth a look. Good Luck!

Out of the couple months I had it, I only got one great shave out of it. MWF and Tabac are polarizing soaps, you either love them or hate them, and it seems that lovers of one don't like the other. For me, MWF is too temperamental and tricky. People love it, and others don't. That's just the way it is. There are folks who don't like MWF, so welcome to the fold!

The lather aside, I couldn't get past the scent. I found it artificially sweet like a cheap, store-bought soap. In defense of MWF, I am a bit of a nut about soap scents. In fact, my favorite "scent" is unscented soap. Hmmm......The smell of saponified tallow.:lol:

I am in the I like the FAT not so much the Tabac camp (scent wise).
I like the scent - smells clean. I don't find it over-powering
That said, yes I was very close to getting rid of the FAT over a year ago as I struggled with getting the famed lather that many other do. I was a bowl latherer. Then I read that this soap for many performs better when face lathering so I tried.
Well two things happened...
1. Yes it did work much better going to the face - I finally got the type of lather that others talk about
2. I became an overall face latherer and my bowls see very limited action.
I will also agree that this is a slick soap (a good thing) but I do notice that it will build a film on my razor and brush handles faster than other soaps. No big deal - just something to be mindful of when rinsing out the brush to take a bit of extra time.

I love the smell of it, but I don't like the soap overall. Its the only soap out of about 15+ I have that I cant produce a stable lather. Ive tried the different methods and tried grating it, with poor results.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It depends on your water mainly. MWF is sensitive (very I should say) if you have hard water. If you have softer water, it's not too bad. When you have hard water, there's a thin line between a very good and very bad lather.

Not my favorite, but a good solid soap nonetheless, as Luc said very water dependent...a royal PIA to get right under hard water doable but not worth the effort imo. If you live in a hard water area try some distilled water, night and day difference.

Tried it for months and finally got rid of it. Soaps shouldn't be temperamental. They should just work. It's not a spouse, it's a soap.

I did like the scent though and their ceramic holder is great. Gave that to my daughter.

If you find the scent objectionable blend it with a scented soap or cream you do enjoy. Try rubbing a shave stick on your face before you load your brush with MWF then build your lather with the combo. MWF is a mild scent and easily masked by any other scented soap or cream.

Try putting some towels around your sink and keeping your hands dry :001_smile

You will find that dry hands are part of an enjoyable shave once you drop your brush or razor a few times :yesnod:

It is also a lot easier to stretch your skin with dry hands

I put 3 around my sink and one on the towel bar so I always have a dry towel within easy reach.

proxy.php

I haven't tried the shaving soap, but I used a cake of MWF bath soap in the shower. It's effective, lasts pretty well and rinses off clean. BUT IT SMELLS LIKE A LAMB CHOP!! No kidding. Roast meat is fine for dinner but in the shower it's a turn-off.

Suggestion... I use my MWF in my Surabachi . I like the puck dry and only slice off small pieces as I need them. The slices are pressed into the bottom of the Surabachi and I use the wet brush to make the later with. The Surabachi makes the process a lot easier.

I just learned that Portland's water is soft. I had no idea one way or the other. I had no difficult creating a huge amount of lather with not much work.
It depends on your water mainly. MWF is sensitive (very I should say) if you have hard water. If you have softer water, it's not too bad. When you have hard water, there's a thin line between a very good and very bad lather.

I may have to give the added scent thing a try. With all the towels and razor blades Dexter setting up his kill room came to mind.
If you find the scent objectionable blend it with a scented soap or cream you do enjoy. Try rubbing a shave stick on your face before you load your brush with MWF then build your lather with the combo. MWF is a mild scent and easily masked by any other scented soap or cream.

Try putting some towels around your sink and keeping your hands dry :001_smile

You will find that dry hands are part of an enjoyable shave once you drop your brush or razor a few times :yesnod:

It is also a lot easier to stretch your skin with dry hands

I put 3 around my sink and one on the towel bar so I always have a dry towel within easy reach.

proxy.php

Top Bottom