What's new

What are three must try pipe tobacco?

Dunhill early morning
Frog Morton cellar
mac baren mature virginia (you should really try a mature virginia even if it's our of a jar

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Carter Hall
Frog Morton Cellar
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

In addition, I would add Dunhill My Mixture 965 and Nightcap as you will hear these referenced to frequently.

For someone just starting out I'd go with the easy to source, not to expensive, and time tested baccies: Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh. These tobaccos are forgiving in regards to packing errors, burn cool, and have that nice burley flavor. My personal preference is Carter Hall.

I have also very much enjoyed Peter Stockkobye's Luxury Navy Rolls, which are very cool looking tobacco coins.

A mild Latakia blend would also be nice as it'll let you know whether Latakia tobacco is your "thing". Ones I've found on the milder side GLP Chelsea Morning, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, Frog Morton.

Have fun and enjoy.

Order placed at 4noggins for:

Carter Hall
Frog Morton Cellar
Escudo
Dunhill Nightcap

It was difficult to choose due to so many great choices.

Thanks everyone I appreciate your recommendations! Now the waiting begins.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
5 Brothers
Samuel Gawith Brown Rope #4
Samuel Gawith XX Twist

Oh, wait... those are three to avoid. :lol:

I like Boswell Christmas Cookie, Carter Hall, Frog Morton.

Carter Hall
Frog Morton Cellar
Escudo
Dunhill Nightcap

Quick warning. Nightcap tends to have a little more Vitamin-N than the others on your list.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
5 Brothers
Samuel Gawith Brown Rope #4
Samuel Gawith XX Twist

Oh, wait... those are three to avoid. :lol:

I like Boswell Christmas Cookie, Carter Hall, Frog Morton.

Hey...I just finished off some G.L. Pease Jackknife earlier today! Let's respect the Vitamin N. :w00t:

Need to revisit my stash of 5 Brothers...and maybe some 1792...and some Irish Flake.

Just got a couple of tins of Irish Oak and a tin of Escudo in today. The Irish Oak is about to get fired up in about 10 minutes.

The date of manufacture on the Escudo is 9-13-13. I think I'll wait until its birthday Saturday to open it. :a50:

Looks like you got a good selection there Mike Wood!

Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. Ennerdale Flake
Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. Kendal Flake
Samuel Gawith Grousemoor

I call it the Lakeland Trinity

Carter Hall
Frog Morton Cellar
Escudo
Dunhill Nightcap

You have some very excellent blends headed your way. Carter Hall is arguably the best OTC blend, FMC is a huge favorite among many a pipe smoker, Escudo is pretty much king of the VaPers and Nightcap...well I'll let you figure that one on your own :001_smile (Be sure to eat a full meal before that one)

You have some very excellent blends headed your way. Carter Hall is arguably the best OTC blend, FMC is a huge favorite among many a pipe smoker, Escudo is pretty much king of the VaPers and Nightcap...well I'll let you figure that one on your own :001_smile (Be sure to eat a full meal before that one)

I usually smoke at night and after dinner. I plan to try the blends in the following order:

Frog Morton Cellar
Escudo
Nightcap
Carter Hall

I usually smoke at night and after dinner. I plan to try the blends in the following order:

Frog Morton Cellar
Escudo
Nightcap
Carter Hall

It would be safe to say that those are a good start. The cool thing is, there are so many that the adventure will continue for a very long time!

Enjoy and happy puffing!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If you don't have any around the house, pick up some mason jars to store the tobacco in once they are opened. The 8oz jars are the perfect size for 2 ounces or 50 grams of tobacco.

Also, I hope you have a easier time opening those round flat tins than our illustrious steward did his first time.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Good point, Derrick. How to open a vacuum sealed tin is not discussed as much as how to cellar the tobacco. A couple of points:

Carter Hall: just open the pack. :001_smile

Frog Morton: just peal back the lid like opening a can of sardines.

Escudo and Nightcap: Take something flat, I like to use the end of a flat screwdriver, insert the tip under the lid at one of the "slots" in the bottom part of the tin under the lid, then just twist the screwdriver, not prying upward, until you hear the vacuum release. If you pry upward you may bend the lid. Then just twist the lid off, load your pipe, and cellar the rest in a mason jar. I label my jars with the contents and date that I cellared them, written on a piece of tape or address label.

A rectangle tin is opened in much the same way: just twist the flat object under the lid 'til you hear the vacuum release, then pull the lid off with your fingers.

If you try to open a vacuum sealed tin with just your bare hands you'd better have the strength of King Kong.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would advise trying the Nightcap last after you've gotten a good hold on the others. Also, for any tobacco you try at the beginning of your journey that may not sit well or appeal to your current tastes, jar it and try it again at a much later date. You may be surprised at how your tastes/tolerances will change over time.

Top Bottom