What's new

Enameled cast iron Casserole

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Are your next door neighbors even aware of the excellent cooking going on in your house? I would be glad to bring the beers and/or Sangria(it's summer in NZ).

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I think the cooking odours are a bit of a give away. :laugh:
A Sangria sounds nice right now. It hit 30C / 86F today. Not up to your Texas heat but hot enough for me.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
You have really put the shallow enamel coated pan to good use. Now I want one. I'm thinking beef stroganoff or paella.
I want to make a paella as well with plenty of fresh sea food. :thumbup: Beef Stroganoff sounds good to.
Don't you have a enamel fry pan? Does it have a lid? If not you can buy a lid or just use tin foil.

Last edited:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Ok, now it's time to clean these suckers. Vinegar mixed with baking soda does nothing....next.

That's why you buy Staub.... They're black inside. :wink2:

proxy.php

Actually, I have couple of Staub & a couple of Le Creuset. So far the Le Creuset hasn't been too bad for staining, though it does have some. A Lodge dutch oven that I had got stained up much quicker. I figure it just proves they are well used and loved. :lol:

Though if someone has a good answer to your question, I'm interested, as long as it doesn't do more harm than good.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Ok, now it's time to clean these suckers. Vinegar mixed with baking soda does nothing....next.

How bad is it. Did you burn something?

you could try Hydrogen Peroxide & baking soda method. Don't ask how I know.
Add about 1/2 inch of Hydrogen Peroxide to the pot. Add about 1-2 tsp of baking soda.
Heat until it starts to bubble up. It needs the heat to start the reaction. Simmer about 10 mins..and brush with a green scrub brush. Repeat as needed.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Add about 1/2 inch of Hydrogen Peroxide to the pot. Add about 1-2 tsp of baking soda.
Heat until it starts to bubble up. It needs the heat to start the reaction. Simmer about 10 mins..and brush with a green scrub brush. Repeat as needed.

It's not bad. There are light stains that I want to get rid of.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Staub is also my recommendation, it's black inside and it easy to clean. Soak for 10-15 minutes and everything comes off. I have a LeChasseur and it's not as good. LeChasseur stains and I can't get rid of those stains.

When the big Staub is on special, I'm buying one to replace my Chasseur.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Hey Chris, just read back through some of this thread. This is a dang good thread. It's about the pots but more importantly how the food is cooked in them.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Hey Chris, just read back through some of this thread. This is a dang good thread. It's about the pots but more importantly how the food is cooked in them.
Yeah I just scrolled through again. Now I want some Carne Guisada. Winter is knocking on my door, so the pots will be seeing some action again very soon.

i just read this thread from front to back. It is spring, but I going to use my Kitchen Aid pot to cook a pork loin with vegetables. We do not have room for a slow cooker in our small condo, but the enameled cast iron will more than do the job.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I had to get some meat to cook in the pot. This should see me through the winter and some.
My intention is to slice about half into steaks and grind the rest. I feel the urge to make some Carne Guisada or a chilli this weekend.
The steaks can either be cooked as is, diced or ground if I need more. Did I miss something?

$20160421_163126.jpg

A great tasting pork loin roast today with potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic. I seared the meat in the pot and sauted the onions and garlic with the browned bits in the bottom of the pot, added the potatoes, carrots and the pork roast for an hour and delicious.

proxy.php

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I feel the urge to make some Carne Guisada or a chilli this weekend.
The steaks can either be cooked as is, diced or ground if I need more. Did I miss something?

Yes Sir, can't go wrong with either one...Picadillo for me on Friday. The rain won't stop here, so the smoker may have to wait.

$Muddy Boots.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
A great tasting pork loin roast today with potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic. I seared the meat in the pot and sauted the onions and garlic with the browned bits in the bottom of the pot, added the potatoes, carrots and the pork roast for an hour and delicious.

That's exactly how to use a pot like that. Looking good:thumbup1:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.

I just used some "glass cook top cleaner" on one of my Le Creuset dutch ovens and it cleaned all the stains out with very little effort. It left the inside nice, shiny, and looking like new inside. :thumbup1:

proxy.php

I'll put that on my shopping list.

What I use to clean

The downside to using an enameled cast-iron Dutch oven so much is staining its light-colored enamel interior. Here's how to bleach it back to its original color.

We are very fond (no pun intended) of Le Creuset enameled cast-iron Dutch ovens; the 12 or so we have in the test kitchen get a lot of use. The downside to these workhorses is that their light-colored enamel interiors become discolored and stained with use.

We took a couple of stained pots from the kitchen and filled them with Le Creuset's recommended stain-removal solution of 1 teaspoon of bleach per 1 pint of water. The pots were slightly improved but still far from their original hue. We then tried a much stronger solution (which was OK'd by the manufacturer) of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. After standing overnight, a lightly stained pot was just as good as new, but a heavily stained one required an additional night of soaking before it, too, was looking natty.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What I use to clean

The downside to using an enameled cast-iron Dutch oven so much is staining its light-colored enamel interior. Here's how to bleach it back to its original color.

We are very fond (no pun intended) of Le Creuset enameled cast-iron Dutch ovens; the 12 or so we have in the test kitchen get a lot of use. The downside to these workhorses is that their light-colored enamel interiors become discolored and stained with use.

We took a couple of stained pots from the kitchen and filled them with Le Creuset's recommended stain-removal solution of 1 teaspoon of bleach per 1 pint of water. The pots were slightly improved but still far from their original hue. We then tried a much stronger solution (which was OK'd by the manufacturer) of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. After standing overnight, a lightly stained pot was just as good as new, but a heavily stained one required an additional night of soaking before it, too, was looking natty.

[MENTION=109818]eustace28[/MENTION]

Welcome to the Mess Hall and thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

Top Bottom