What's new

Best high end brush company?

Who do YOU think is the best high end brush company? Simpson, Thater, M&F, Shavemac, Plisson, etc.

All of the big guns in the high end brush market make a quality product.

It is all in the quality of the hair which can vary from batch to batch which leaves it up to the sorter and grader's ability to get the right hair in the right batch so that each batch of brushes has a consistency. Even the best of the best will have slight variations but the better and more qualified the employee(s) that are charged with sorting and grading the better the end product.

All brushes in the high end category are hand made and most of the employees doing the actual knot building are good at what they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot also depends on what the individual user is looking for — luxurious softness, backbone with soft tips, scrubby etc. Some on B&B say Omega or Semogue make the "best" brushes, if they're boar fans.

I think there should be a seperate boar brush forum because I don't want to hear about them anymore! They are 'boar'ing.

Few on this forum seem to be Plisson-philes. Anyway, I don't know the best, but I do know my favorite: M&F.

In all fairness, "best" is so very subjective. My M&F brushes are incredibly consistent, beautiful to look at, and extremely well built. My Rooney Finest brushes are phenomenal latherers. My Simpsons Duke 3 Best is the softest brush I've ever encountered, while the same brush in Manchurian two band has the perfect amount of backbone. My Thäter brushes are by far the most "luxurious" feeling and my Mühle STF could whip up a lather out of distilled water. Depending on my mood, I might reach for any one of them at any time. Which is my favorite? I have no idea.

I am never disappointed with the entertainment value of a thread titled, "What's the best ...."

Best means best for you. The only way to find it is to try it. The most interesting thing I've found out in my years of wet shaving is that every single product (with the possible exception of Casswell Massey soap) is loved by someone.

You might as well casually ask "Which world religion is the correct one?" :lol:

That's easy, it's obviously the Orthodox Church of the Silvertip, but I acknowledge that Conservative Two-Band and Synthetic Reform have some appeal. You just have watch out for the crazies from the Cult of the Tweezerman. :tongue_sm

Who does the best work? From what I've seen, Shavemac. They all have their benefits and drawbacks, though.

Shavemac definitely does top-notch work. My only experience with them, though, is the 2014 B&B LE in D01 two-band. As premium as that knot is, I think I could use it to scrub the black gunk off my grill. :lol: It's not poor quality, just a little bit too scratchy for my current tastes. I'm not letting go of it, though. I've had my tastes change before, and I'm aware that it's a best-of-breed brush. Maybe someday, I'll learn to appreciate a really good scrub!

In all fairness, "best" is so very subjective. My M&F brushes are incredibly consistent, beautiful to look at, and extremely well built. My Rooney Finest brushes are phenomenal latherers. My Simpsons Duke 3 Best is the softest brush I've ever encountered, while the same brush in Manchurian two band has the perfect amount of backbone. My Thäter brushes are by far the most "luxurious" feeling and my Mühle STF could whip up a lather out of distilled water. Depending on my mood, I might reach for any one of them at any time. Which is my favorite? I have no idea.

+1 Very well stated! It really depends on many variables. You are just going to have to try them all in many different brushes to come to a reasonable conclusion. Good luck. :001_smile

hard to say best. i think with all the premium brands its about consistency and trust in the product is quality. No name brushes i have are just as good, but I would never be able to vouch for the next batch or have an entity stand behind the product.

Shavemac definitely does top-notch work. My only experience with them, though, is the 2014 B&B LE in D01 two-band. As premium as that knot is, I think I could use it to scrub the black gunk off my grill. :lol: It's not poor quality, just a little bit too scratchy for my current tastes. I'm not letting go of it, though. I've had my tastes change before, and I'm aware that it's a best-of-breed brush. Maybe someday, I'll learn to appreciate a really good scrub!

Lol, if you ever do get rid of it, sounds like my kind of brush.

Simpson for me. I am sure there are other great brushes out there, but Simpson was my first high end brush and they have my loyalty! :thumbup1:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I think there should be a seperate boar brush forum because I don't want to hear about them anymore! They are 'boar'ing.

Few on this forum seem to be Plisson-philes. Anyway, I don't know the best, but I do know my favorite: M&F.

I hear that the Plissons are floppy pretty often. For the prices of their highest grades it's hard to want to try it if it's going to be floppy. I do wish I could try one out, though.

Top Bottom