What's new

Best high end brush company?

There really are no high end brush companies besides plisson and I've never even used their brushes besides the synthetic.

Personally, I think the key thing to understand for someone trying to find their ideal or "best" brush is that it's perfectly plausible to buy the same model brush from the same manufacturer 10 times and have 10 unique knots and experiences. Thater seems to be most consistent, but other brands can and do surpass them - however I think most don't on a regular basis. You'll have to buy and sell many brushes to understand what is good and to realize what you have is good. From my experience it seems that M&F and Simpson are capable of delivering the top top end of brush, but unfortunately each individual order doesn't guarantee you anything.

@August West

Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger
Mushroom mushroom . . .

Personally, I think the key thing to understand for someone trying to find their ideal or "best" brush is that it's perfectly plausible to buy the same model brush from the same manufacturer 10 times and have 10 unique knots and experiences. Thater seems to be most consistent, but other brands can and do surpass them - however I think most don't on a regular basis. You'll have to buy and sell many brushes to understand what is good and to realize what you have is good. From my experience it seems that M&F and Simpson are capable of delivering the top top end of brush, but unfortunately each individual order doesn't guarantee you anything.

I've only owned one Thäter but had three on loan (all 3 band). I don't find them as consistent as the Shavemacs of which I own four and have experience of another 7. For me the Shavemacs are extremely consistent for the last five years at least.

I've owned Simpson, Rooney, Shavemac, Semogue, and Omega (multiples of each), and for my money, Shavemac is first with Rooney being second.

At the peak of my SBAD, I had multiple brushes in several size and spec ranges that were duplicates of each other. When I finally came to my senses and sold off most of my brushes, I kept only the best one (in my opinion) in each range. In almost every case, the one I kept was the Simpson.

I've only recently accepted the hit and miss quality of the best hair from Simpsons - in my very good Chubby2. I do have the LE M6 in Manchurian too, though. Of course that one has a one off knot and Simpsons won't be making many LE brushes further on they say.

Last edited:
Top Bottom