What's new

Edwin Jagger user's opinion.

I'm really impressed with the Look of EJ razors, but i'm concerned about the lack of knurling. Just wondering about other's experiences.

I have the smooth ej 89 off of Amazon. It gets kind of slick just gotta keep the hand dry and there is no problems. Got it this week do its still new to me

You can get knurled & non-slip rubber handled Jaggers with the DE89 head. Edwin Jagger released them a couple of months ago I think.
eg
http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/edwin-jagger-de86rc14-de-safety-razor-rubber-coated-handle/

proxy.php

http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/edwin-jagger-de3d14-safety-razor-diamond-effect-handle/

proxy.php

I currently own the EJ DE89 & DE89L. So far I've not had any problems using either of my two razors. I've never had a difficult time with the grips on either of the two while I was shaving.

I have an EJ8911 and I don't have any problem with it. It doesn't get slicky even covered with lather during the shave. I have a '59 fat boy and it gets much slicky when it's covered with lather. Fatboy has knurlings, but EJ8911 doesn't. I'm not sure why, but I think crome plating helps the grip in a positive way.
$tradycyjna-maszynka-de8911bl-gladka-chrom-edwin-jagger-5-zyletek.jpg

I rub my wet alum block over the fingers of both hands after I have lathered, when I pick up my Fatboy, ready to twist it shut. My fingers never slip on the razor's handle.

I have the Chatsworth Barleycorn,a great piece of equipment,and the patterned handle has no slippage problems.

Attachments

• $ej.jpg
    $ej.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 366
I have 2 edwin jagger de89. Never had any problems with the grip. Intact it gives me a better grip than some of my other razors..
It's an excellent razor! One of my favorites.

I've got the DE89L and have never found gripping it to be a problem.

+1. Also, while as a newbie I gripped my razors quite tightly, I now hold them very lightly. You do t need to death grip a razor. And while I keep trying different razors I keep coming back to my EJ 89. It seems to be perfect for me.

Scott

It's a great razor indeed. I have no problems with slipping. Although I don't seem to have lather problems like some other Gents. I try to keep it on my brush and face. And when all else fails a hand towel is next to my sink. That seems to cure these slippery lathered up hands. LOL

I have the smooth EJ DE89 and haven't had any problems yet. Even if my hands get a little bit wet or soapy I've never felt like I had a poor grip. For what it's worth the lined version is only slightly more and probably provides a better grip surface, or you could spring for the barley. Hope this helps.

I have an EJ DE89 crome, with no knurling, and it doesn't slip at all. The grip on it is amassing for such a smooth surface.

I replaced my EJ DE8911's original smooth handle with a Weber Bulldog handle. My reason is that right hand's middle fingers were broken--sometimes severely--several times in my younger years. The Bulldog's 'grittier' handle makes it easier for me to hold the razor.

I have the EJ DE89L.
No doubt the EJ is an all around great razor, but I really hate the handle it comes with because it has no grip at all. It doesn't help much that i already dropped it once and now it has a small dent on the handle.
I ordered one of the scratch and dent Maggard MR8 Handle and looking forward to try it with the EJ.

Last edited:
I use the DE89L and hate the grip. The slightest bit of soap, even a splash while rinsing, and it's hard to hold on to. I'm always wiping my fingers on a towel.

But I do love the way it shaves.

Top Bottom