What's new

I'm happy with my Thater. Do I need a Simpson?

Hello all.....I am content with my Thater brushes. I have to thank members of this forum for allowing me to discover Thater brushes.

Anyway....I have 2 Thater brushes (4125/2 & 4292/4) and I could be content using nothing but them. But I have heard so many glowing reviews of the Simpson Chubby brush...so I am considering the Simpson Chubby 2 in Super Badger.

Am I missing something if I just stick with the Thaters....or will the Simpson give me a different experience?

I am a face latherer with both creams & soaps.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I too like you own several Thater brushes, and I own several Simpson of which I own the Chubby 2 super & best.

Although Thater are looking brushes I own, they are so very different to Simpson Chubby 2 whichever hair grade you choose, Chubby 2 is very densely packed with great backbone (ideal for face lathers) but is no lather hog. Bare in mind the Chubby 2 has a 28mm knot.......

At present the "Best" hair grade cannot be bettered, you will be rewarded with a great shave.............

Charles U.K

The Simpsons will surely be different. The various characteristics of hair type, knot density, loft, and handle will make for a different although not necessarily better or as enjoyable a brush to shave with. Simpsons brushes are very nice. Whether or not you find them as pleasurable as your Thäter brushes is something you will only find out by trying a Simpsons.

I will follow this thread. I have one Thater, a 4376/3 Silver Tip, and love it. Since getting that brush it has been a higher priority to explore some of the other bristle materials such as boar and horse. I am looking presently into synthetics. Should there or will there be a Simpsons in the future? This thread may help me decide!

Hello all.....I am content with my Thater brushes. I have to thank members of this forum for allowing me to discover Thater brushes.

Anyway....I have 2 Thater brushes (4125/2 & 4292/4) and I could be content using nothing but them. But I have heard so many glowing reviews of the Simpson Chubby brush...so I am considering the Simpson Chubby 2 in Super Badger.

Am I missing something if I just stick with the Thaters....or will the Simpson give me a different experience?

I am a face latherer with both creams & soaps.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

you didn't say what hair you have in your thaters. Ifvthey're both 3 bands then I would suggest getting a 2 band thater ... a neasr perfect brush for me.

Interesting post. I too have a Thater (3 band ST), as well as a Shavemac (2 band regular ST), and have wondered about that Chubby in Super as well. I had 3 different Simpsons in best and sold them (D3, Col X2L, and Berkley) because they weren't better for me and they just took up space. The price on the Chubby is a major consideration - will be interested to hear opinions on this question.

I have the Thater 4125/1 in three and two band and the Chubby 2 in super. The Simpson is iconic for a reason, it is a great brush. However, I very much prefer the Thaters.

Edit: The Simpson will provide a different experience. A better experience for you? Maybe.

Last edited:
forgot to mention both my Thaters are 2 bands.

Interesting to read "thatonesmine" recommends best badger for the chubby. I have read similar posts....indicating that "best" badger gives you the full experience of the chubby 2 with a significant cost savings over the "super".

And he's a U.K. gent who owns both....

It is hard for me to tell a very noticeable difference in the hair grade between my Chubby Best and Emperor Super. The quality is so very good on both. It reminds me in a way of trying to select high end speakers for a sound system. So many sound so good in the display room.

I kept the Thaters and sold the Simpsons, others will probably do just the opposite, it remains very difficult to advice in such matters.

Personally I would pick a Rooney or M&F 2XL over a chubby.

If you just want density as not interested in handle style, then shavemac d01 3 band is amazing. It's priced well and the knot can be set at what ever loft you desire.

All of the above are better priced and better finished IMO.

If you want to try a Simpson Chubby 2, I'd definitely go for the 2-band (should give you a nice comparison to the Thater) or the Manchurian.

Personally I feel Simpson's Super hair is their worst deal, as Best is usually pretty much as good as Super, but considerably cheaper. To spend "Super money", I'd definitely go with 2-Band or Manchurian, depending on your personal preferences.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have some work to do...I guess the only way to really do this right is to get a Simpson, Rooney & and an M&F to compare. But where to get a a Rooney Heritage & M&F? They seem to be near unobtanium status.....

I use a Theater 4125 Size 5 Bulb that I love,I own a Chubby 3 super badger but the one I go most of the time is a Rooney stubby3.Has great back bone very little scritch & soft tips.The Roonies are also more consistant than the Simpsons at least in my observation.If you get 2 brushes from Simpson both the same model chances are they won't feel the same. Please don't get me wrong I love my Simpson brushes & I will be purchasing more down the road but the Rooney's are a better buy at less money.You want something a little different ?Try a Manchurian knot by Simpson or Wiborg.

This is just my opion & not a nock on Simpson.

Last edited:
The answer is yes, you do need to check out a Simpson. You'll probably end up selling it, but you must satisfy the curiosity.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have some work to do...I guess the only way to really do this right is to get a Simpson, Rooney & and an M&F to compare. But where to get a a Rooney Heritage & M&F? They seem to be near unobtanium status.....

Rooney Heritage are pretty much unavailable, except for BST and occasional old stock. A M&F will be easier (although not as much as you'd hope) to obtain, you need to email Lee Sabini, which is the gentleman that was also behind Rooney until recently.

Regarding Simpson brushes, and as I said earlier, I'd recommend trying a 2-Band or Manchurian. These can also only be bought directly through Simpsons, and only a few models are available at a time.

Feel free to ask any other questions!

I kept the Thaters and sold the Simpsons, others will probably do just the opposite, it remains very difficult to advice in such matters.

Best advice in the thread. I concur (kept Thater/sold Simpson) but the only way for you to know if to try one. I agree using Best over Super for your badger choice.

Top Bottom