What's new

Does your Semogue 830 look as wild is mine?

It surely doesn't look like this: WCS Semogue 830 ..:confused1 (nor did it look exactly like that the minute I received it, though)

It isn't really a problem, the brush lathers fantastically and feels very nice on the face at ~20 lathers with it now. Just isn't too much of a looker, lol.

How I have cared for the brush:
  • Brush was broken using this method: B&B - How to Break in a Shaving Brush
  • I shake out as much water as possible after I shave and let it air out the rest of the way
  • It has always dried standing as you see in the picture

So have I caused it, or do Semogue 830s just do that?

Last edited:
I've found that Semogues, in general, do that. I have a SOC and 620 and both look similar. It's nothing to worry about.

That's how mine looks too. I have started setting it in an empty toilet-paper roll to dry after each use, and that straightens it up a little. I don't care much how it looks, but I do want to use all the bristles, so it's better to have them standing a little straighter.

That is how they look, and one of the reasons I don't like them. But that is personal :001_smile

I still maintain that a brush with a Semogue handle and an Omega loft would be an ideal match. Best of both companies!

Mine looks just like that and it's a lather machine. I can easily get three good passes from it. Then I squeeze the lather out of the bristles for a fourth touch up pass

mswofford

Rest in Peace
If you are concerned about splay you can buy some girl's hair ties. You need a brush stand so that after using and rinsing your brush, you put on a suitably sized hair tie and hang the brush in the stand. Remove the hair tie when the outside bristles are dry.

Here's what my Semogue 1250 looked like after 4 weeks.

$SNV35495.jpg

Well I don't have one of those brushes but I must say that my bristle brush also displays a boorish appearance. However it's kisses are refined, gentle and....oh, elegant. Looks ain't nothin'. Actions is everthang.

My SOC looks a little like that but what I do is to use a brush stand where the top part of the stand compresses the knot, rather than hang by part of the handle. That minimizes the spread of the outer bristles but still allows it to dry completely.

That's the characteristic splay Semogue boars are known for. This is the splay on my favorite Semogue, with a 25mm knot (26mm at the top of the handle) set at a loft of only 50mm:

$20140830_173816.jpg

Top Bottom