What's new

It's been a while since we talked about Oud oil

So, I now have a free sample to choose and have no idea what to choose. In his email, Taha tells me that he's working on two new Thai (Cambodian) oud oils. The problem I'm running into here, is that I have zero idea how these different juices will present on the skin. I like fragrances that are heavy, woody, spicy with a little sweetness even. I'm reading the descriptions on Agar Aura and think I've settled on ZBH Oud for my next sample to purchase, but I also get a freebie...that's what I'm having difficulty deciding. I'm leaning to M1 Oud, due to the chocolate notes many have described.

Any suggestions? Cantik Candan? It has a LOT of great reviews, but I'm looking for some feedback from our resident B&B "oud gents" :001_smile

What I really, really want to try is the attar Cuir et Bois, it sounds sooooo good, but he's sold out of it. Does he ever "remake" a sold out juice?

Last edited:
The problem is that the Sweet Siam is so much less expensive than the other oud attars. Unless he suggested you try one of the more expensive ones, I would go with M1 just because that's a polite thing to do. He's a reasonable and generous person, it's only fair to return the manners. We are gentlemen, after all!

And no, he can't go back and remake anything. All ouds have unique odor profiles due to the distillation process among other things. Sometimes he will go back to the idea behind something and "recreate' but it's always different. Cuir et Bois, for example, is very similar to Cuir Oud, which he made two years ago.

Last edited:
The problem is that the Sweet Siam is so much less expensive than the other oud attars. Unless he suggested you try one of the more expensive ones, I would go with M1 just because that's a polite thing to do. He's a reasonable and generous person, it's only fair to return the manners. We are gentlemen, after all!

And no, he can't go back and remake anything. All ouds have unique odor profiles due to the distillation process among other things. Sometimes he will go back to the idea behind something and "recreate' but it's always different. Cuir et Bois, for example, is very similar to Cuir Oud, which he made two years ago.

Oh noooo, I'd certainly not hit him for just a free sample. I'll order several and then take the less expensive as the "free" sample. He is indeed a very generous person, and I'll not be one that takes advantage of this fact.

Well after watching this tread for a few day's, I decided to take the plunge.I just ordered 3 samples from agaraura,M1,Hindi Brut,and Cantik Candan.I really wanted to try the attars but Taha is out of stock for now.

Well after watching this tread for a few day's, I decided to take the plunge.I just ordered 3 samples from agaraura,M1,Hindi Brut,and Cantik Candan.I really wanted to try the attars but Taha is out of stock for now.

Yeah, I wanted to try some of the attars as well, but I can wait. Taha told me that he was working on some new distillations. I'm very excited to try my samples (picked up a few others), but at these prices...part of me hopes that I dislike it! :lol:

The samples just seem to multiply.
Here's the samples I have. Used wisely a sample is enough to last a good while.
They don't look like much but as has been said, a little swipe is enough to last hours and hours (and hours).

$MAXTAB - WIN_20140914_065357.jpg

My samples are due to arrive tomorrow,needless to say, I can't wait.Very fast shipping from agaraura,faster than some items shipped from here in the states.

I've been interested in trying Oud for ages, and think I'll get some from the Agar Aura site after such strong recommendations.

Be interested to hear how you get on with them (as a fellow Oud virgin) when they arrive tomorrow.

I will be happy too,just keep in mind I don't have a educated nose.I'll be following Taha's recommendation and go thru the attars first.Then I'll hit the pure oud oils with the mildest up to what Taha calls the beast,that's Hindi Brut.

First up is Java,a concentrated Attar Oil.Very woody almost pine-like and smoky at first,then it settles down and a earthy patchouli imerges.At times I catch some vetiver,oud,and sandalwood.I'm at 3 hours in and Java smells like I imagine a jungle or even a forrest would smell like after a rain.So far I am very impressed and I can't wait to try the next attar tomorrow.

Last edited:
Oh man, I just ordered 2 more Agar Aura samples from a kind soul (enabler :lol:). Part of me really hopes that I hate this stuff, because it's not inexpensive.

Well thanks to this thread I've just dived in and ordered 2 pure Ouds. Went for the Cantik Candan and the ZBT, and Taha got in touch and is also sending the 2 new Attars; Java and Agar Attar.

Have to say this guy really knows the importance of good communication. Has been a pleasure to exchange emails with him, and can't wait to try these oils :)

Well thanks to this thread I've just dived in and ordered 2 pure Ouds. Went for the Cantik Candan and the ZBT, and Taha got in touch and is also sending the 2 new Attars; Java and Agar Attar.

Have to say this guy really knows the importance of good communication. Has been a pleasure to exchange emails with him, and can't wait to try these oils :)

I sent a note last night telling Taha that my samples still haven't arrived and he responded early this morning. He's a great communicator and an artist with his product.

I sent a note last night telling Taha that my samples still haven't arrived and he responded early this morning. He's a great communicator and an artist with his product.

Those packages are coming from Cambodia now and can come quickly or take an eternity. That's why he's starting using FedEx. It's more expensive but quicker and more reliable. Hang in there!

First up is Java,a concentrated Attar Oil.Very woody almost pine-like and smoky at first,then it settles down and a earthy patchouli imerges.At times I catch some vetiver,oud,and sandalwood.I'm at 3 hours in and Java smells like I imagine a jungle or even a forrest would smell like after a rain.So far I am very impressed and I can't wait to try the next attar tomorrow.

How's the oud, though? I think Taha's really good at making stuff blend together well. I love the idea of smoke and pine but the patchouli scared me. How strong is it? And doesn't the oud come through strong?

Yesterday was Agar Attar,I decided to wait until the next day as with the Java the notes kept changing throughout the day.Agar Attar has many different ouds in it,during the day the notes would change.When I first applied I could tell this had more oud in it than Java,it was also less smoky.I think I could detect some patchouli,some vetiver,maybe some sandalwood as well.The oud itself is up front but not totally in your face.As the day went on,I could catch some smokiness,then some honey,cocoa,a times I caught a vanilla bean.Then towards the end I detected a scent that was familiar to me,but I couldn't place it.

I went up to my music room and picked up my acoustic guitar then it came to me,the wood from my guitar mixed with a rawhide guitar strap,that's what I was smelling.

I also noticed another thing,the scent of both attars were very intoxicating,and the Agar Attar was downright relaxing,I found sniffing my wrist during the day to be very calming.So much so, that down the road I may order some oud chips from Taha to burn as incense.

Welp that's my 2 cents,I am in no way a expert,I hope when the others get their samples,they will post their experience.

The word I use to describe Oud Oil is "Alive".
It moves and grooves. Notes come and go constantly.

My big plan for tonight if the stars are all aligned is to apply some Kaltim Supreme (here's a description, it's out of production now http://agaraura.com/kaltim.html) pop on my headphones and listen to some tunes.

There is nothing better than relaxing with Oud and Pink Floyd.

The oud is there in Java and the patchouli is not the main note it's just there to balance the oud.I think the smokiness is from one of the ouds.

Today I tried Oud M1 and like Marc said Oud Oil is alive,I'm picking up different notes as the day moves on.

Top Bottom