What's new

What would you like to see here?

Gentlemen, I'm coming to you for content ideas for this forum. What would you like to see done here to make the Skincare forum more enjoyable? Honestly, i've got a mental block when it comes for ways to make this more interactive/enjoyable/educational.

Seriously, ANY ideas you have, throw them out!

It is a little quiet around these parts isn't it?

The only thing I can think of is a passaround box of some sort? Whether it's pomades, hair tonics, body soap..

Hmm. It's the only forum that is rather clinical. Acne, hair loss, body odor, etc. -- none of these topics have the inherent fun/pleasure factor that wet shaving seems to project. I mean how proud of yourself can you feel for slapping on some deodorant?

Also, and I am guessing about this, I think there is a huge tranche of men who just shave and leave it at that. There are probably lots of guys like myself who do not a thing to their hair except wash it and cut it.

I just discovered this forum myself even though I have been a member since 2008. I think the things that are and can be discussed here are an important part of the complete package. Yes, this board is geared toward shaving but grooming is also important to the man who wants to be thought of as a gentleman. The way you present yourself from top to bottom affects how you are perceived by others and is also important to your success in business and in life! Some guys don't think of it at all and others think about it but don't know where to go to provide the necessary information about how to take care of their bodies and their appearance. This should be the goal of this forum to be a place where we can come and discuss these kind of issues. I think the main thing is to open this up to everyone and see what they have to say as you have started with this post. Also, make it a place where guys can feel comfortable bringing up issues that may seem personal to some but can be discussed here and mutual help and assistance can be provided. I know what I have said is rather general but I will take a look around and see what I can come up with. I know when I was 18 I was looking for direction in learning how to take care of myself and present myself and now that I'm 58 I still have issues in that same area. I look forward to posting here and hope that others will follow!

I think encouraging our vendors and hobbyists to post more insight like David's above would be great. It would be a great way to educate and also worth their effort by creating exposure for their business/hobby. Contests and giveaways would be great also, not only by the vendors/hobbyists, but included in the many packages assembled during the B&B Fundraisers and Auctions.

Including a front page article link to one of said above posts would encourage participation.

Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Interestingly enough my last online order was primarily items in this category. 4 Tabac Luxury Bath Soaps, Tabac Deo Stick, Acca Kappa Toothbrush, 2 tubes of Couto toothpaste. Starting to really enjoy rounding out my grooming den so to speak. I visit this section of the forum and get great ideas but rarely post.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Jason, in the last two years there has been a growing interest into traditional (oil based) and new (water based) hair pomades. It's what a larger and larger number of barbershop use now, what most people prefer after a good haircut and what they use to style their hair at home. I'd like to see a Hair Pomade sub-forum.

I know when I was 18 I was looking for direction in learning how to take care of myself and present myself and now that I'm 58 I still have issues in that same area. I look forward to posting here and hope that others will follow!
Same here. My dad was well groomed but all he told me was 'keep your nails clean and trimmed'. He buffed mine once when I was 8, because we were going to a wedding. I never saw him doing anything besides shave. He was bald, so no hair products, and he never used a moisturizer or lotion.

I think encouraging our vendors and hobbyists to post more insight like David's above would be great. It would be a great way to educate and also worth their effort by creating exposure for their business/hobby. Contests and giveaways would be great also, not only by the vendors/hobbyists, but included in the many packages assembled during the B&B Fundraisers and Auctions.

Including a front page article link to one of said above posts would encourage participation.
I'm working on something...maybe a few things. Vendors have to be very careful when posting in the main forums to avoid making it it look like they are advertising, but I do enjoy seeing them come in and explain what certain ingredients are for and why they prefer to use/not use them

Interestingly enough my last online order was primarily items in this category. 4 Tabac Luxury Bath Soaps, Tabac Deo Stick, Acca Kappa Toothbrush, 2 tubes of Couto toothpaste. Starting to really enjoy rounding out my grooming den so to speak. I visit this section of the forum and get great ideas but rarely post.
Be careful with those fancy toothpastes. Not all of them have fluoride. If they don't, they're still fine to use, but alternate in a fluoride based paste as well.

Jason, in the last two years there has been a growing interest into traditional (oil based) and new (water based) hair pomades. It's what a larger and larger number of barbershop use now, what most people prefer after a good haircut and what they use to style their hair at home. I'd like to see a Hair Pomade sub-forum.
Marco, thank you for chiming in. I've fallen victim to the above. Got a haircut, she put in this 'stuff', and I loved how it looked. So I bought a $20 jar of goo. That stuff is IMPOSSIBLE to get out! Perhaps I can go through the forum and find all the reviews of pomades and organize them, and if there is enough need for a subforum we can have it created.

I visit this forum several times a day, but don't post too often. Probably because I only really use one deodorant for a few months at a time, one bar of soap for about a month at a time, on face soap for about a month at a time, and about 2-3 pommades for several months at a time. Compare this to the 4 brushes, 10+ aftershaves, 15+ blades and 20+ soaps/creams that I use for shaving. Maybe because once I find a soap/deodorant that works, I'm not really interested in spending $8-$15 to find out if it works (and if it doesn't I'm going to smell all day and then just have to chuck it). Maybe some kind of soap or deodorant group buy might be of interest? Or something where we all contribute to the purchase of a bunch of different soaps and they all get split up into samples and divided up amongst those who contributed? Then we can all post reviews in a thread? This could probably also work for pommades using the little containers like QCS uses for their samples. Anyway, just some thoughts, but I will definitely try to post more to try to keep this forum more active. Thank you Jason for all of your efforts!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, thank you for chiming in. I've fallen victim to the above. Got a haircut, she put in this 'stuff', and I loved how it looked. So I bought a $20 jar of goo. That stuff is IMPOSSIBLE to get out! Perhaps I can go through the forum and find all the reviews of pomades and organize them, and if there is enough need for a subforum we can have it created.

Jason, it's exactly what happened to me too when one month ago I decided to change hairstyle, moving from a simple Flattop (that I had been wearing for years) to a traditional Executive Contour inspired by the great style of the 1930's. My Master Barber, Eliseo here in Rome, used some Suavecito Firme for the first time and I loved it immediately. Now I think I'm starting to hair some serious PAD (Pomade Acquisition Disorder) and it seems that I'm not alone here...

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Deodorant can be fun...

$MOGZj.jpg

Gotta say this is one of my favorite forums. As I'm follically challenged, not that into things like pomade!!!!. I did just buy some Marvis toothpaste on account of this forum.

I have focused much more on this aspect of grooming than shaving over the last year or so as well.

We take so much of the "basic" stuff for granted, when there are better ways and products available to do it. Pomades? Absolutely. Alternatives to P&G or Unilever soaps/toothpastes/deodorants? Yes, sir. From my own experience of trial and error, dandruff shampoos that work and don't leave your hair plastered to your head like you were doused in Pennzoil.

I like the thought of this. I have wanted to try a pomade for a while but just havn't branched out and bought a product as there seems so many different varieties. It seems to becoming more fashionable these day though so I have seen more info on them recently.
I confess that I do mainly shave and not bother about much else but the older I get the more I feel I should look slightly more reasonable, my hair gradualy gets shorter each year from being a mass of curls.
I have branched out to brylcreem this week, thats a step in that direction, a sub-forum for pomade would be helpful.

What would make this forum more "enjoyable?" Less threads about underarm pimples and blackheads, for a start. Kind of gross. I don't need to know this stuff; I guess that when people talk freely about a topic like shaving, they feel that they can happily discuss any other bodily function with impunity. Not true.

I like the policy that every post must be able to be read by your granny or your kids without blenching; I wish the same courtesy could be extended to those of us who just don't want to read about pit zits. Ever.

I agree with a post above that "deodorant can be fun"

I've jumped ship from the traditional grocery store/pharmacy brands to more boutique kinds. I've been purchasing deo's that will last for very long amounts of time. For example, I bought some Trumper deodorant back in May and I'm not even 1/3 through the stick... My projection is it will last me over a year. It's saved me cash right out of the gates. It's also paraben free, aluminum free and has an incredible scent that lasts me all day. Don't get me wrong, I'm not promoting my favourite "this and that"... The real question is, why aren't ingredients in deodorant or other personal care products as important to some as the ingredients in which we consume for our daily meals? Maybe a sub forum promoting healthier products using natural ingredients with less harsh chemicals might be a worthwhile page to visit. I'd go.

Top Bottom