What's new

Two shaving upper lip questions

So I use a safety razor, shave with the grain once and then against the grain. I get a clean shave but there is always one area, alway stye same area, where i get a small nick. Not even an outright bleed, just see a bit of red. Any tips on this?

And also, even when i get a smooth shave and i can't feel any stubble at all, the skin of my upper lip still looks a little dark. Any tips on how to remove this?

As for your first question, the upper lip is a tricky spot. Be careful that your blade angle is staying consistent as you shave that area. Maybe try shorter strokes. And to answer your second question, the shadow likely has to do with the shade of your facial hair. If this is the case, there really isn't anything you can do.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Unfortunately, Dennard is right about the beard shadow. Some gents are just cursed with fair skin and dark beards. About the only solution in such cases is the use of cosmetics.

On your lip, you might try two XTG passes, in opposite directions, instead of, or in addition to your ATG pass. Also, try a little skin stretching. That generally helps me on my upper lip.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The beard is heaviest on the chin and upper lip area; We just have to do the best we can. It's sometimes tempting to just grow a moustache and goatee and avoid the hassle.:w00t::laugh:

+1 on the above.

The upper lip is a tricky spot for a lot of the gents here. Try different approaches and you will find what works for you. Personally, I do as xxvaleria suggested and go XTG on my lip, with a slight ATG curl to get under my nose.

You may always have shadow stubble and it is nothing to be concerned about. Even if I get BBS, I still have the shadow stubble. It is what it is.

I also go once WTG and touch-ups ATG. Stretching the skin will help an dpossibly less pressure. Sounds like you're getting weepers, which come from too much pressure.

So I use a safety razor, shave with the grain once and then against the grain. I get a clean shave but there is always one area, alway stye same area, where i get a small nick. Not even an outright bleed, just see a bit of red. Any tips on this?

And also, even when i get a smooth shave and i can't feel any stubble at all, the skin of my upper lip still looks a little dark. Any tips on how to remove this?
So what advise did you take. ..besides Mike:laugh:

The second I turned 17 and was in college (50 years ago!), I grew my mustache out, and I've never shaved it off. Before that, I just could never get a good shave on my upper lip.

I was blond, now white-haired, so beard/stubble pretty much invisible then and now.

As for your first question, the upper lip is a tricky spot. Be careful that your blade angle is staying consistent as you shave that area. Maybe try shorter strokes. And to answer your second question, the shadow likely has to do with the shade of your facial hair. If this is the case, there really isn't anything you can do.
+1 Welcome!

Top Bottom