What's new

Question for Astra SP/SS Users

I've tried both. Sharpness felt about the same, but the SPs were much smoother for me. I usually tend to get along with Platinum-coated blades better.

I've tried both. Sharpness felt about the same, but the SPs were much smoother for me. I usually tend to get along with Platinum-coated blades better.

I can understand how you feel about the SP; it is a smooth and, added incentive, inexpensive blade. My curiosity is beckoning about the performance and feel of the Astra Superior Stainless blade (I had to write it out, I've a new keyboard that I'm enjoying). I know, too, that a blade's first shave is not always representative of its second and third shaves. I'll comment on the SS after the first, second, and third shave. I usually change my Astra SP blades after my three (smooth) shaves.

Received my Astra Superior Stainless blades today. I've loaded one of my '73 Techs for the 'maiden' shave tomorrow morning. One thing I noticed about the SS blade I unwrapped, it has much less was than the SP. Really of no consequence other than it's easier for me to de-wax the blade before loading, which is what I do with my SPs. The SS blade felt more flexible than the SP, which may be nothing than conjecture on my part; I haven't done a side-by-side comparison of both blades... yet.

I'll comment on the blade after tomorrow morning's (24-hour growth) shave.

$Astra SS Blade.jpg

First two-pass (WTG and a mix of ATG/XTG) shave with Astra SS in a 1973 Gillette Tech

First pass went smoothly and it felt a bit more efficient than my Astra SPs. The pass was clean; no pulling or tugging.

Second pass was more efficient and a bit smoother than as SP. I could feel a bit more sharpness in the SS when compared with an SP. The pass was removed stubble a closer to the skin than an SP, but there was not at all harsh. I had no irritation and no nicks or weepers. I usually get a DFS with Astra SP blades; the Astra SS delivered a near BBS shave, something I wasn't trying to achieve. I did my regular shave, and the SS delivered a better overall shave.

This is shave 1; I'll have to see how the blade and I fare tomorrow morning.

One addition about the feel of the Astra SS blade: when using an SP, I can feel it cleaving stubble; but with the SS, at times I had no sensation that the blade was cutting stubble, it was that efficient this morning. Additional shaves will reveal more about how the Astra SS compares with the SP.

Last edited:
Astra SS Second Shave

My second shave with the Astra SS went the same as shave 1. I haven't felt any harshness per se, but I was able to feel the blade's edges on my skin; perhaps not quite as smooth as the SP, but a bit more efficient. Now I'm not sure the tradeoff is worth making a change from the SP to the SS. I'm going to try an SP shave tomorrow to see if I can feel a difference.

I have both, but while I have over 1000 of the SP, I only have 100 of the SS. I like the SS, but the SP is THE blade for me.

Methinks Astra SPs may be a little smoother as the blades wears on, noticeable in the second day's shave for me. After today's SS shave, I'm likely to stay with my SP blades--which is good, because I have in excess of 500. I think I'll sell the other 99 Astra SS blades along with a Semogue 2000 brush on BST this weekend. I had been using Astra SP blades exclusively, and for good reason: they've worked for me.

One other blade I recently tried, Gillette Silver Blue, delivered a close and smooth shave in my Techs, but not without some irritation/rashing, and the blade degraded a lot after my first day's shave. Although I had no irritation with the SS blade, I find the SP is smoother over the life of the blade, which is three great shaves before replacing with a new SP.

I found the Astra SS not as smooth as the SP. I thought the GSB wasn't as smooth as the Astra SP at first, but now I prefer it. I beleive it's just an improvement in technique for me. Still like the Astra.

Roger, thanks sharing your experience.

Interesting how these things can be such a YMMV thing. I'm a big Astra SP fan, but can't seem to put the GSB blades away these days.
So buttery smooth after my morning shave with the GSBs.

Roger, thanks sharing your experience.

Interesting how these things can be such a YMMV thing. I'm a big Astra SP fan, but can't seem to put the GSB blades away these days.
So buttery smooth after my morning shave with the GSBs.

I felt the same about them after my first shave, although I did have some tugging on my first pass of my first shave; but the subsequent pass was exceptionally smooth. I did feel a bit of irritation on shave #2. And my skin is so sensitive, that I knew one more day with it and I'd be battling a couple days of healing the irritation. But, the blade was buttery smooth on my second passes. The Astra SS performed much like the GSB for me; however, the GSB has a slight 'edge' over the SS blade.

This old guy will stay with SP blades. It's true, everyone has their own experience with blades. My brother loves Feathers; but they do a number on my skin; they shave a tad too sharp and close for me. I hope you continue to enjoy the GSBs. I can understand how one would have difficulty denying such an efficient blade; and it's gentler on one's skin than some other equally efficient blades. Enjoy you new-found blade.

I had a shave with an SP this morning. The difference in how the SS and SP shave is not discernible to me. I thought it was, but after giving myself the same two-pass shave this a.m., no point in switching to the SS. I'll stay with my stash of Astra SP blades.

That concludes this test; now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Thanks Roger for your comparison test. It's always interesting to see if there are differences between two different lines of of a particular brand. Along with the Astra comparison (for me they are very close, but the SP was minutely smoother), the comparison of Super-Max Platinums vs. Super-Max Super Platinums or Lord Platinum vs. Lord Stainless has been far less conclusive.

Thanks Roger for your comparison test. It's always interesting to see if there are differences between two different lines of of a particular brand. Along with the Astra comparison (for me they are very close, but the SP was minutely smoother), the comparison of Super-Max Platinums vs. Super-Max Super Platinums or Lord Platinum vs. Lord Stainless has been far less conclusive.

I, too, felt the difference was minute at best, with the my preference for the SPs smoothness; and the SP feels smooth, perhaps even smoother, after the first shave. Perhaps our faces our doing a little blade honing. The SS certainly shouldn't sell for me than the SPs, which may be the best value in a razor blade.

I went through the Super-Max blade trials for myself. I agree with you, my results were inconclusive. I had gone back-and-forth trying to decide which of Super-Max's blades performed the best, but never found an answer for myself. It seemed as though performance varied for each of the Super-Max blades I was testing. But Astra SPs feel consistent to me. Occasionally I'll get a faulty blade, but it's infrequent. Perhaps, one or two blades at most out of 100.

I also went through the Lord blades' challenge for myself. It got to be confounding for me and I ended the trial by saying enough; again returning to the tried-and-true Astra SP. I should accept being fortunate to have found a blade that I can use day-after-day with no irritation. The same for my razors: Gillette Techs. The one area I still experiment with is brushes. I favor Omega boars; and the longer bristle models, the 10049 and 10083, work best for me. Good backbone but I can 'smush' and 'swirl' the lather from either brush onto my face. But his decision came about only after spending far too much money on other boar and different quality badger brushes. But I have to admit, horse-hair brushes have stimulated my curiosity.

Redrako: It's always interesting to read your commentaries.

I'm with the SP lobby. They have pleased my face without fail, but honestly, I have never had any Gillette blade from the St Petersburg plant disappoint me. The Astra SP just happens to be priced for a lower income market than the US, and I couldn't care less about the language on the wrapper. It's a St Pete blade. That means it is a wonderful blade. I get over a full week of shaves from an SP, but I maintain a goatee, so less whisker cutting is involved. I also keep my neck line clean while shaving though, and cartridge razors die from asphyxiation when you even attempt that trick..

At ten cents per blade, I wouldn't care if an Astra SP wore out in only two shaves (it doesn't though). They are the bargain of the decade. I just hope that Putin doesn't rock the shaving world by blatantly invading Ukraine, and causing importation of Russian made blades to be banned in the west... I don't care which Gillette branded blade you prefer, as most of them are made in St Pete... Putin is dreaming of the old Soviet days, and we will suffer. BUY WHATEVER YOU LIKE WHILE YOU CAN.... It might be years before whatever wounds created in the battle for owning Ukraine territory mess heals....

I like Astra SS and SP's, both good blades. But I switched a while back to Personna Blues as my daily driver. Good blades, great price, I like the packaging, and made in USA.

Top Bottom