What's new

Question for Astra SP/SS Users

This has likely been discussed, but I couldn't find a thread; so, here I go.

I've been using Astra SP blades in my Techs (my only razors these days). I saw Astra SS blades and would really like to read other Astra users observations of the SP compared with the SS. Is the SS as smooth or smoother; as sharp or sharper. And I'm curious to know how many shaves you guys get from an SS blade. I am appreciative of your observations. Thank you, gentlemen.

I find them to be similar. Perhaps the ss feels a bit sharper but both are smooth. The ss lasts about 1 or 2 shaves longer than the sp.

^ Thanks. Similar but a bit sharper is interesting. I usually use an SP for three shaves. I'm going to have to try Astra Superior Stainless blades. The price is reasonable, about $13/100 on Amazon with free shipping. Thanks for responding.

I get closer and smoother shaves with the SS versus the SP. It seems to me that whatever razor I use an SP in, I get stubble returning after a few hours.

Last edited:
I tried the SS only once. I love the SP - it's my favourite blade. But I didn't think the SS was good enough.

I rather shave with the ss than sp. The ss is sharper and smoother on my face, also lasts 5 shaves vs 3 from the sp for me.

I use Astra SP blades in my Tech. I also use them in both of my EJ's as well. I'm very satisfied with they're degree of sharpness. I recently bought another box of 100-count box Astra's on Amazon for $12.00. That brings the number of Astra blades in my inventory to 185 or so. So far my Astra's are my primary blade.

The SP has worked better for me than the SS, but a lot of the "sharper" blades were causing me some irritation. With a new razor, blade tests have started over, so hopefully the SS fares better for me the second time around.

To DEGuy and anyone else interested, a seller on eBay has them for cheaper if you were looking to try them.

50 @ $5.58 Free ship
100 @ $11.18 Free ship

I like both blades, but I find Astra SPs to be a bit more forgiving. So I tend to use SPs on weekday mornings, and on weekends--when I have time to be more careful--I use Astra SS.

But, as I said, they're both great blades. SPs are a bit cheaper too.

I prefer the SS. The SPs are sharp for sure, but they irritate my face no matter what razor I use. The SS feels just as sharp, but are definitely smoother for me.

^ Thanks. Similar but a bit sharper is interesting. I usually use an SP for three shaves. I'm going to have to try Astra Superior Stainless blades. The price is reasonable, about $13/100 on Amazon with free shipping. Thanks for responding.

If Toothpick has the Stainless in stock in the "Blade exchange" you could swap two SP for two SS.

I like both blades, but I find Astra SPs to be a bit more forgiving. So I tend to use SPs on weekday mornings, and on weekends--when I have time to be more careful--I use Astra SS.

But, as I said, they're both great blades. SPs are a bit cheaper too.

This is my experience as well. Astra SP is a forgiving blade, but sufficiently sharp and smooth for me.

Hi Roger: I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Astra SS when you get it.

WARHAWK

Mel, if you want to try some Astra SS blades, PM your address to me and I'll send some to you. I've got 100 coming in this week, and I'd be happy to send some to you, my friend.

--Roger

If Toothpick has the Stainless in stock in the "Blade exchange" you could swap two SP for two SS.

Thanks for the referral. I quickly placed an order for delivery this week. You know, it's a wet-shaver's thing. I appreciate your suggestion. Thank you.

I use Astra SP blades in my Tech. I also use them in both of my EJ's as well. I'm very satisfied with they're degree of sharpness. I recently bought another box of 100-count box Astra's on Amazon for $12.00. That brings the number of Astra blades in my inventory to 185 or so. So far my Astra's are my primary blade.

The SP is a fine blade. Thus far, it's the only blade I've liked in my Techs. I'll see how the SS fares. I'll have my order later this week.

Top Bottom