What's new

DE vs Injector

A couple of months ago I got my first injector razor, a Schick E Type. Since then, my DEs have sat, unused. So sad. Today, I pulled out my Gillette Tech to take it for a spin.

My injectors have given me the best shaves I've ever had, in my life. Near BBS every time. 10+ hours later, still a DFS. Today, I got a DFS shave from my Tech.

Now, here's what I noticed. I shave much quicker with the Tech, I think that's partly to the larger blade, and the 2 sided blade. I didn't have to rinse as often. Also, the shave was much smoother, possibly to more blade/razor combinations available, and being able to find the perfect set up.

With the injectors, there are only 2 modern blade options. Both work well, very sharp, but I get some tugging and pulling on my beard while using them. Not enough to stop using them, especially considering how good of a shave I get from them.

They say that the Schick E is very aggressive, but I think it's just very efficient. I felt like several DEs are more aggressive, and the E irritates me less than my Tech, but shaves better.

If you haven't tried an injector, I would highly recommend trying one. As always, YMMV.

If I may add, I do share a similar experience with the schick injector. However that was with the first blade I used. Thereafter the results have been rather inconsistent. I have seen similar views expressed on this forum before. I too used a schick type e with original schick blades. Some attribute the inconsistency due to the method of loading the blade into the injector. I used the injector for about a month amd enjoyed its relative quick use as opposed to a de razor. I gave the injector a small break and used a fatboy I have not looked back since....

If I may add, I do share a similar experience with the schick injector. However that was with the first blade I used. Thereafter the results have been rather inconsistent. I have seen similar views expressed on this forum before. I too used a schick type e with original schick blades. Some attribute the inconsistency due to the method of loading the blade into the injector. I used the injector for about a month amd enjoyed its relative quick use as opposed to a de razor. I gave the injector a small break and used a fatboy I have not looked back since....

Those inconsistencies are mitigated when you use a razor with the hydro magic lever.

My experience was similar. I got some great shaves from my injectors but I could never seem to get them consistently enough to stay with it, so I went back to my DEs.

I guess that's the beauty of wet shaving...there's something for everyone! For me, I don't see me going back to my DEs anytime soon. I now have 3 injectors: an E2, a G1 and an I1.

So far the only Schicks I have used are a C type repeater, which was a pretty decent shave, and one of those injectors with the tensioned head and cream plastic handle. (sorry I don't know what that type is called) Both times I used what were supposedly "Personna" blades that came in a little white injector in a white box. Nowhere on the packaging does it say Personna. The second shave with injector razor was awful. I'm going to go ahead and say that I got a bad blade or that the blades I purchased are not shave quality they appear to be marketed for lab use by what the box says. Never the less that shave I had to stop after 4 strokes and grab one of my Gillettes to finish it off.
$IMG_1628.jpg

I'm super interested in acquiring a Schick injector. But admittedly, I know very little about them, see that there are tons of various model types, and don't really know where to begin to find one? If anyone can point me in a direction where I could purchase one - and preferably recommend a model type, I'd be immensely appreciative. Thanks.

I just got an I1 this week as my first injector. Everything I read said the earlier models (type E) are more aggressive than later models. I didn't want to start with something that might gouge my cheek, so the relatively mild I1 seemed like a good starting point. Very nice BBS shave and I plan to use it for several days to get a consistent feel for it.

I got mine by posting a WTB over on the B/S/T board. I had more than one PM offer, so I'm sure some of those fine gentleman would be happy to sell to another B&Ber.

I'm super interested in acquiring a Schick injector. But admittedly, I know very little about them, see that there are tons of various model types, and don't really know where to begin to find one? If anyone can point me in a direction where I could purchase one - and preferably recommend a model type, I'd be immensely appreciative. Thanks.

Check out this page:
http://www.renaldo.us/SchickRazors.php

Most people agree that older ones are more aggressive than later ones. Plenty of E, G and I types available for around $20.

So far the only Schicks I have used are a C type repeater, which was a pretty decent shave, and one of those injectors with the tensioned head and cream plastic handle. (sorry I don't know what that type is called) Both times I used what were supposedly "Personna" blades that came in a little white injector in a white box. Nowhere on the packaging does it say Personna. The second shave with injector razor was awful. I'm going to go ahead and say that I got a bad blade or that the blades I purchased are not shave quality they appear to be marketed for lab use by what the box says. Never the less that shave I had to stop after 4 strokes and grab one of my Gillettes to finish it off.
View attachment 486962

From what I've been told, these are rebranded Personnas. I have these as well as the Chinese Schicks. I don't feel much difference between them, although I think the Schicks give me a slightly better shave.

Very inconsistent shaves with modern injector blades, enough so that I stopped using injectors altogether. Pity, I really liked them.

Both the Chinese Schick blades and the Personnas are excellent. Personna makes all current blades that are not specifically branded as Schicks. I personally prefer the Chicks because their injector magazines are miles better than the Personna magazines. You can also find many types of NOS blades on the auction sites. They range from OK to superb, but they generally cost much more than the new ones. Don't be surprised at the number of shaves you can get with an Injector blade. I have gotten 25 very good shaves with a Chick, and several gents report 30 or more shaves with one. That generally makes the per shave cost less than most DE blades.

I get my best shaves from Schick Injectors. I do fairly well with DE's and use carts when I travel. I reach for my Schick injectors most of the time. My sights are on the Cobra.

The great majority that are available are very, VERY similar in appearance and end results: they are the Es, Gs, and Is. While the fact that they give great results is commendable, the specific characteristic that I regard as seriously favorable is the simplicity of use, the great feeling that you are getting fastastic shaves with almost no effort, it's as if you are cheating when compared to the effort required for the same results from a DE.

I received a Golden 500 injector yesterday as part of a PIF. After watching youtube to figure out how to load the thing I was off to the races this morning. It took a second to get used to the different angle (it's quite a bit different than a DE). However, I got a very nice shave with zero irritation. I'm definitely a fan and will probably be reaching for it for awhile.

Top Bottom