What's new

Straights- Round 2- A much better experience!

Hey guys,

I'm on my second round with straights after a disastrous, blood-filled, face-shredding first round that ended with me selling my gear off and going back to DE's. This can't be the first time this has happened. I'm definitely going to make it over the newbie-hump this time and have success. I'm having some nice shaves and slowing things down and really concentrating on technique. As a 2-year DE shaver I've got the wet-shaving basics down and also know what a decent/good shave feels like. I've watched lots of videos and read lots of posts about the straight razor shave. I've got some good vintage straights that I've had experienced folks hone and pleased with results.

I guess one of the points of this post is don't give up. The learning curve is steep, but can be overcome. It just takes time, experience, and concentration on technique. I'm finding that I'm altering my grip/blade angle/ technique according to results now. I'm able to adjust the grip/razor placement and achieve a much better result. There's been very little bloodshed and the razor burn is diminishing with each shave. It's very satisfying to start to make my way up the hump. I'm nowhere near the top, or over it. But I'm having pretty decent results. I'm also able to determine spots that are apt to cut(cheeks) if you don't have good placement of the blade.

I had 3 nice vintage razors honed by Rickboone and enjoying the edges he put on the blades. I also have a kamisori that is currently off to get honed by Bayamontate. I have proper equipment to keep a good edge in between honing. So, overall, a much better experience this round with straights. The kamisori is moving along nicely, but needed some sharpening as it wasn't where it needs to be. Especially for a new razor.

All I can say is keep at it, stay diligent with your reading and videos, practice, and listen to those experienced on this forum.

Cheers,

Dan

You have a plan: Once all the pieces come together your shaving experiences will be awesome; Just shave away the cream. It doesn't take a lot of pressure on the blade.

One thing though: Never let your guard down.

Its when things were going very well and easy that I cut myself the worst! lol

Right on, man! Your experience is mirroring my own. I put my straight aside in frustration two years ago and came back to it this summer. With practice and patience things are so much better now.

It's great to hear another success story. Shave on!

One thing though: Never let your guard down.

Its when things were going very well and easy that I cut myself the worst! lol
+1
I haven't had any serious cut so far *knock on wood* but I was having a great shave this morning and thought all was going well, lost focus and nicked my chin again.

Great encouragement, and good on you for getting back on the horse. Enjoy Baya's edge; he's magic with a kami. Did you ask him to mute the tips? Might be something to consider, since they can be bloodsuckers . . . .

So I am also a newb to straights, but I have been teaching people new skills my entire adult life, thus far what I am going to say has seerved me well in learning to use my straight razor.

"Never move faster or harder than your skills allow and never let your pride guide you". Start slow and do what you can comfortably, then move on, build on your successes, but never allow yourself to become complacent.

Never be to proud to switch to your go to your normal razor while you are learning, that is what safety nets were made for.

In the process I believe that you will find, as I have, a huge enjoyment of the journey to learning to shave with the straight razor.

And I bet you see far less blood, 2 months here and only a couple weepers along with some OMG shaves. I hope this helps in some small way.

Tim

An update:
Still working on proper technique, blade angle, stretching, etc. But overall, it's going really well. I'm getting good results of shaves and it's moving in the right direction.

My shave this morning was somewhat groundbreaking as I went WTG, XTG, and ATG and no nicks, slight burn, but not bad. But in the end it was a really nice shave and my face is extremely smooth. Maybe smoother than a DE ever was. Especially on my cheeks, sideburns, and goatee area. This is groundbreaking as I'm feeling like I was when I started DE shaving-looking forward to the next shave almost immediately. What's better is I'm learning what works, what doesn't, grips for different angles of my face and how to avoid bloodshed. Much less fear of cutting myself and lots more confidence. The great shaves are a great by-product of returning to straights, but learning and applying what I learn is something that we all enjoy.

Thanks to everyone that has offered advice, assistance, knowledge, and anything else.

Remember it takes a village.....

Cheers and happy shaves!

Dan

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
When you get it "dialed in", I think you will find a good straight shave as smooth as it gets.

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom