What's new

Catchiest Guitar Riffs

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

For a whole generation, "ding-a-ding-dung-ding-dung-ding-dung-dunngg" said a whole lot about the backwoods, the people who lived there, and our perceptions of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I am not really sure what a riff is. Whatever that extended thing Hendrix did in five parts on what sounds like five different guitars (there is a You Tube video where he plays it live on one guitar) on Watchtower seems pretty good.

Sweet Child of Mine seems more like a true riff as in repetitive sequence of notes played over and over.

Scar Tissue by the Chili Peppers.

I know the last two are within that 100 riffs video.

Queen had many, but for some reason the guitar riffs on the Radio Gaga b-side I Go Crazy get me every time.

Metallica - Whiplash, Master of Puppets, Am I Evil
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast, still rarely bettered

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly left field this but what about the 'third man' played by Anton Karas. Once inside your head it'll be the for a few hours at least. Just catchy.

Thanks, The Third Man theme is indeed running in my head. The Band did a version on Moondog Matinee that's a welcome surprise every time it pops up on my "shuffle".
As for a straight guitar riff that's timeless, pretty much the entire Chuck Berry catalogue fits the bill. You hear the opening chord of any Chuck tune, you know who it is.
Update: Rick Derringer was on Showbiz Kids? You learn something new everyday! Can't You Hear Me Knockin' has one of the best smack-you-in-the-head and pay attention, dummy, opening ever.

Last edited:
When I was living in London for a number of years, I recall visiting an rock instrument shop in Denmark Street in the West-End (Denmark Street is famous for the number of stores selling instruments and other businesses associated with popular music).
On the wall above rows and rows of electric guitars for sale was a large sign which clearly stated "Anyone heard playing the opening bars of Smoke on the Water will be asked to leave the premises". :lol:
I couldn't agree more!

Hmmm, Johnny Zoom. Forgot about him, but I was more an east coast aficionado. Ramones, Modern Lovers, Forgotten Rebels, Teenage Head. The west coast...X, Black Flag, Skinny Puppy, Day Glo Abortions...meh, not so much. I did like the Go Go's. This east vs west bias continues today as my youngest son (happy 21'st birthday, boy) is a Red Hot Chili Peppers fan and I'm a Beastie Boys boy.

Wonderful Thread!! Thank you Very Much.....

Don't have much to add, At the moment...:thumbup1:...Just enjoying reading B&Bers favs.....

For some reason Chuck Berry-style riffs always sound cooler when played by Billy Zoom.

Well all Chuck's children are out there playing his licks........

:thumbup:

Top Bottom