What's new

F2 or Finest, that is the Question

Which tgn knot has softer tips, Finest or F2

• Finest

• Finest F2

Results are only viewable after voting.
All, I'm looking to have a custom brush made by Mr. Rudy Vey.

I was looking to use TGN's Finest F2 knot as it is listed as having the softer tips of the two finest knots. However, I just came across the below thread and am now second guessing myself. If I go with the regular finest knot, Rudy can make the brush right away. I'll have to wait a couple weeks if I keep with my original idea and go with an F2.

So I pose the following question, in your experience which knot had the softest tips?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/384751-TGN-Finest-F2-Not-What-I-Expected/page2

No experience with the F2 but the regular finest is always a highly recommended knot and seems to have a really consistent quality in which everyone generally has great experiences. The other knots seem to be hit or miss.

All, I'm looking to have a custom brush made by Mr. Rudy Vey.

I was looking to use TGN's Finest F2 knot as it is listed as having the softer tips of the two finest knots. However, I just came across the below thread and am now second guessing myself. If I go with the regular finest knot, Rudy can make the brush right away. I'll have to wait a couple weeks if I keep with my original idea and go with an F2.

So I pose the following question, in your experience which knot had the softest tips?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/384751-TGN-Finest-F2-Not-What-I-Expected/page2

In a blind shave test, I don't think you would be able to tell the difference, particularly after each has been used a few times. The Finest knots offered by TGN are the best knots for the money in all of shavedom in my opinion. If I were you, I'd go with the regular 2 band Finest.

I love my finest fans. Two 22mm and a 24mm fan have had gel tips that I've owned. Another 24mm fan had silky soft tips and a 24mm bulb had very soft tips.

After what I've read regarding face feel and density of the F2 I haven't felt compelled to try it. I recently did purchase a WSP 24mm "Best" knot. While the tips clump they don't curl in the same gel tipped manner as the TGN for a velvet like face feel. The backbone can be pillowy at 50mm. At its sale price it was a great purchase.

Well, you guys convinced me. Maybe after next year I'll try an F2 and update this thread with a detailed comparison. For now: $Soonnnnnn.gif

Last edited:
I received a brush with a TGN 22mm finest bulb last week and have been enjoying it. Very nice face feel and it holds up to soaps with no problems. I would definitely buy one again and will be looking into the finest fan for a restore I have to do.

Get the 2F...i have one 22 mm at the base but the hair tuff above the plug was 24 mm ...maybe my best hand made brush... i self re-knot an old Vulfix Grosvenor 404 shaving brush, the loft was set at 47 mm. Great backbone, gel like tips, triple milled soap killer.

I have experimented with a number of TGN knots. Recently I can into an F2. While it may have softer tips, the knot I have also has a noticeable scritch that is not present in the Finest knots I have.

I have concluded that I will not deliberately acquire any additional F2 knots, but will continue preferring the Finest.

Top Bottom