What's new

One ring to rule them all

I have a few items that have made themselves irreplaceable, but the unfortunate combination of unmedicated ADD and a destructive nature mean that few things can last very long. However, there are a few "Stand-alones".
Razor: MD "Chimaera" shavette. I made it myself, from parts of other razors and a little elbow grease. It's the only razor I ever use, and I've modified it to use either DE or injector blades.
Aftershave: AV Ice Blue. Why mess with perfection?
Knife: An uglier-than-sin shamshir/cleaver my grandfather made from a leaf spring. This knife is at least 60 years old, and hasn't needed any more than a few swings on a steel since the edge was set. Sharp enough to slice tomatoes nice and pretty, hefty enough to split a pig femur like a stale pretzel.
Shoes: Custom Bates tactical boots. Double-stitching on the heel and toe, composite toe caps, side zipper, vented uppers. The only shoes that have lasted more than a year with me. I just try not to think of the things I have cleaned off of them. I think that's what make them hold such a nice shine, though.
Liquor: Wild Turkey 101. I keep trying other things, and I keep coming back to "The Bird".
Pipe: My unnamed meerschaum calabash. It's huge, and it's tricky to run a cleaner through, but it's still the jewel of my collection.
Gun: Savage .17 HMR bolt-action rifle. Heavily modified, both before and after I bought it. Adjustable dual-stage match trigger, variable-magnification Barska scope, black walnut thumbhole stock (all bought with it), integrated telescoping bipod, and 10-round extended magazine (my additions). If ever a firearm could be called sexy, this is my Betty Page. Tiny round, but very flat trajectory. Fits my "one shot, one kill" style of hunting.
Instrument: "Roxanne", my beat-up flea market trumpet. I don't even know who made it, and it sounds a bit like an asthmatic parrot, but we've been through some crazy adventures. After a hard shift, nothing cheers me up more than playing a little mariachi.
Miscellaneous: Kindle Touch (newsprint version). I could lose my phone, my laptop, my X-box, maybe even my car without being too upset. But losing my personal library would be a heavy blow.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I'm still thinking about mine. Here is what I have so far.

Watch- Omega SMP
Knife- EDC, a Case baby butter bean. For a bigger one I can't decide. Maybe my damascus Mcusta.
Pen- Nakaya for the desk, and either a Parker 51 or 61 to carry.
Camera- In the film days it was a Leica M. Nothing digital can be expected to last, so they don't count.
Kitchen knives- I have a small and large hand made Japanese knife, which should outlive me.
Sunglasses- Persol 714
Razor- ??? Maybe a Gillette rocket HD, and I can't choose a straight just yet.

I tend to do research and buy the best rather than buy something decent and upgrade later. Some of the notables:

drum set - Canopus drums with hand hammered Bosporus cymbals (jazz player)

Snowboard - K2 Slayblade for my big feet.

Grill/smoker - Kamado Joe. They sell for $850, but when u figure that it's an all in one cooker that will last a lifetime and not rust out, it's a pretty great bargain. Delicious food obv.

Minimal shave setup: iKon Slant with UFO Kaiser Short & Morris & Forndran "Chief"

Don't limit it to shaving stuff. Pens, watches, cars, knives... whatever you like, tell us your selection of the best of the best. The stuff you use, because you only want the one.

Well I think for watches it's a bit of an unfair question. I consider myself a collector and have a little over 40 watches, but only like 4 or 5 I wear regularly. I just got a new 1968 Bulova Accutron Spaceview that I wear daily just because it has quickly become my favorite watch, but really it depends on what else I'm wearing that day. Photo is of the Spaceview I mentioned. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408574947.623324.jpg

Well I think for watches it's a bit of an unfair question. I consider myself a collector and have a little over 40 watches, but only like 4 or 5 I wear regularly. I just got a new 1968 Bulova Accutron Spaceview that I wear daily just because it has quickly become my favorite watch, but really it depends on what else I'm wearing that day. Photo is of the Spaceview I mentioned. View attachment 486008

My Dad really liked his Accutron. He did find out that if he didn't let it lie flat, may have the wrong orientation, when it was off his wrist accuracy suffered big time.

My Dad really liked his Accutron. He did find out that if he didn't let it lie flat, may have the wrong orientation, when it was off his wrist accuracy suffered big time.

I haven't noticed that, but I've only had it about a month. Maybe it happens when the battery starts dying?

I haven't noticed that, but I've only had it about a month. Maybe it happens when the battery starts dying?

The watch keeps time via a tuning fork like device. When it stays in a specific position/orientation the vibrations/sec goes out of wack.

When you wear it, the watch's orientation continually changes. Everything evens out... When off the wrist it's orientation is static. If the watch is in the wrong orientation the minute frequency error and the resulting time error keeps compounding. The jeweler who sold my Dad the watch called the Bulova and they provided this explanation. They also told my Dad how the watch should be laid out when it wasn't on his wrist. I wish I could remember what they said.

I'm aware of the tuning fork device, I've been looking for the watch for 3 years before I finally found the right one and bought it. But it's cool to know that even such minute changes in orientation can affect the accuracy.

I'm aware of the tuning fork device, I've been looking for the watch for 3 years before I finally found the right one and bought it. But it's cool to know that even such minute changes in orientation can affect the accuracy.

That's a very cool watch. My Dad gave a similar one to my little brother and the Tissot automatic that came before it to me.

Camera: Sony RX100 MK I
Watch: CITIZEN CTQ57-0955 Chronomaster, "The Citizen"
Pocket AM/FM/Weather radio: C.Crane CC Pocket

This is a bit of a challenging question. Although I don't consider myself a collector of most items I like, I do appreciate variety. I'm the kind of guy that has multiple journals going at the same time, each with a specific purpose.

Anywho, I am a guy who enjoys his firearms and the one rifle that I have never considered replacing is my M1A. It's accurate, sturdy, and capable of filling multiple roles. The same goes for my 1911.

For the most part though, I see items as having a specific purpose and I like to be able to tailor what I am utilizing for specific tasks and switch them out depending on what I want to accomplish. Most things do not fit every occasion or situation. Some come close but there is always somewhere that an item can and will fall short. Whether or not we encounter them is a different discussion.

I have a few items that have made themselves irreplaceable, but the unfortunate combination of unmedicated ADD and a destructive nature mean that few things can last very long. However, there are a few "Stand-alones".
Razor: MD "Chimaera" shavette. I made it myself, from parts of other razors and a little elbow grease. It's the only razor I ever use, and I've modified it to use either DE or injector blades.
Aftershave: AV Ice Blue. Why mess with perfection?
Knife: An uglier-than-sin shamshir/cleaver my grandfather made from a leaf spring. This knife is at least 60 years old, and hasn't needed any more than a few swings on a steel since the edge was set. Sharp enough to slice tomatoes nice and pretty, hefty enough to split a pig femur like a stale pretzel.
Shoes: Custom Bates tactical boots. Double-stitching on the heel and toe, composite toe caps, side zipper, vented uppers. The only shoes that have lasted more than a year with me. I just try not to think of the things I have cleaned off of them. I think that's what make them hold such a nice shine, though.
Liquor: Wild Turkey 101. I keep trying other things, and I keep coming back to "The Bird".
Pipe: My unnamed meerschaum calabash. It's huge, and it's tricky to run a cleaner through, but it's still the jewel of my collection.
Gun: Savage .17 HMR bolt-action rifle. Heavily modified, both before and after I bought it. Adjustable dual-stage match trigger, variable-magnification Barska scope, black walnut thumbhole stock (all bought with it), integrated telescoping bipod, and 10-round extended magazine (my additions). If ever a firearm could be called sexy, this is my Betty Page. Tiny round, but very flat trajectory. Fits my "one shot, one kill" style of hunting.
Instrument: "Roxanne", my beat-up flea market trumpet. I don't even know who made it, and it sounds a bit like an asthmatic parrot, but we've been through some crazy adventures. After a hard shift, nothing cheers me up more than playing a little mariachi.
Miscellaneous: Kindle Touch (newsprint version). I could lose my phone, my laptop, my X-box, maybe even my car without being too upset. But losing my personal library would be a heavy blow.

Great post! What's a leaf spring?

Legion

Staff member
Great post! What's a leaf spring?

A leaf spring is the type of flat suspension spring made from strips of spring steel on old cars, trucks, buses, etc. They could be taken out and forged into all sorts of things, and many thought that they make great blades, because the constant flexing of the steel somehow aligned the steel molecules. Regardless, with good heat treating many good blades have been made from leaf springs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_spring

Last edited:
I have been called a hoarder by people I know, and I do tend to collect stuff whether it is razors, cufflinks or watches.
I have also been shopping cheap stuff for a long time, thinking I saved money. Lately I have found the joy of buying quality stuff rather than multiple cheapos. So my kitchen knifes are Victorinox chefs knives, wich perform great, my daily beater is a Certina ds.
When it comes to shaving gear though, I am still buying everything I can find at a decent price. Waiting for a redtip and an Omega brush as wd speak.

StAndre

I'm afraid I am a dyed-in-the-wool collector, at least when it comes to B&B-related vices. Soaps, brushes, straights, AS, pipes, tobacco, whiskey (and whisky), pens, inks, etc., etc.

Although I certainly have several pairs of shoes & boots, about a year ago I decided to make the investment in Iron Rangers, which are now about the only boots I wear when I'm not in uniform.

I also applied the "buy once, cry once" philosophy when I bought my motorcycle. I had a beater bike in my younger days, but when the time came to buy one again, I bought what I have always wanted - a Heritage Softail - and all the chrome I could find.

We were in Berea Kentucky one time and walked into GASTINEAU STUDIO. There were some Pewter looking cups there, and I asked the price. The woman behind the counter motioned to the man standing a little to the side and he came over and began explaining how he made them out of lead free pewter. I said well that's nice, but how much are they? He replied "Forty Five Dollars." I thought that was ridiculous. I can buy a cup at Walmart for 25 cents or whatever, why would I spend 45 dollars on one? He asked if I wanted to watch him make one, and I did. I bought the cup.

It is kept beside our kitchen sink and I use it every day, mainly with water for my meds. Unless we have a fire it will last a lifetime and then be handed down for thousands of years. Every time I use it I will think about how ridiculously expensive it was and the fact that most people would never recognize it as anything special.

$cup top.jpg$cup bottom.jpg

A leaf spring is the type of flat suspension spring made from strips of spring steel on old cars, trucks, buses, etc. They could be taken out and forged into all sorts of things, and many thought that they make great blades, because the constant flexing of the steel somehow aligned the steel molecules. Regardless, with good heat treating many good blades have been made from leaf springs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_spring

Thanks!

I have many razors but if I had to pick just one it would be a Merkur Slant with the Gillette Slim in a very close second.

I'm big into cars and have a modest collection, if I had to trim it down to one play car it would be the 97 Dodge Viper, I hope to have that still around 30+ years from now

For my tool collection.....nope they all are necessary I don't care if I have doubles or triples...its a sickness I know :)

Over the last couple of years I have had a bit of an epiphany. I have WAY too much stuff.

I have stuff I like, and spares of that stuff, and back-ups for the spares.

Sometimes I'll buy one thing, skimp on the cost, then replace it later with the model up. Then replace that one with the one I should have bought in the first place. So now I have three things, and I only need one.

So...

What is your "one and only". I'm not talking to you collectors. You guys who need to have a "rotation". I'm talking to the minimalists. The guys who only need one "whatever", and will buy the best, and buy it once.

Don't limit it to shaving stuff. Pens, watches, cars, knives... whatever you like, tell us your selection of the best of the best. The stuff you use, because you only want the one.

Moving to Germany a few years ago was the thing that really turned my mentality from being a "collector of things" to a "buy one and get it done."

Going from living in a 5300 sq ft home to an 800 sq ft space forces you to cull the unnecessary from your life. When you have absolutely no room to acquire/collect/store stuff, you tend to make really wise choices about what is necessary and what is not.

While I'm not this extreme, this is an example of what some people are doing: http://bemorewithless.com/my-100-thing-challenge/

Top Bottom