What's new

One ring to rule them all

Legion

Staff member
Over the last couple of years I have had a bit of an epiphany. I have WAY too much stuff.

I have stuff I like, and spares of that stuff, and back-ups for the spares.

Sometimes I'll buy one thing, skimp on the cost, then replace it later with the model up. Then replace that one with the one I should have bought in the first place. So now I have three things, and I only need one.

So...

What is your "one and only". I'm not talking to you collectors. You guys who need to have a "rotation". I'm talking to the minimalists. The guys who only need one "whatever", and will buy the best, and buy it once.

Don't limit it to shaving stuff. Pens, watches, cars, knives... whatever you like, tell us your selection of the best of the best. The stuff you use, because you only want the one.

My 1940's Super Speed - It's not high end at all, but it gives me the best shave of the 20 DE's and 6 SE's that I own. Isn't the purpose of a razor, to give a close comfortable shave?

I'm also a minimalist and only buy good quality stuff and few items. I never go for the super luxury either.

I love my VG10 steel eden knives (one parring knife, one bread and one 8inch chef)
My lamy safari FP (once again not luxury and very functional)
I will soon replace my teflon for cast iron and get aluminum pans instead of stainless. Once again, I will go for the bare minimum in terms of quantity.
I have a north face winter coat.

If you want to be minimalist, you also have to go for multi purpose items and avoid overly specialized items, especially in the kitchen. (juicer, zester, tajine, fondue set you only use once a year)

I also have a rule that I can't buy more clothes if I don't give away (or throw if too damaged) one piece of clothing in exchange. Clutter happens so fast!

I have one kayak, a Hobie Revolution. It's great on lakes and the ocean. Since I don't do moving water it's the perfect boat for me.

My Selmer Reference 36 Tenor Saxophone.

The ultimate Bb experience.

proxy.php

Last edited:
In thinking about this, I'm embarrassed to find I've overloaded on most things. In one area, however, I got just one and it was the best: hunting dog.

Although she had to retire last fall after 13 years, my chocolate lab was easily the most expensive component of my hunting gear. I knew I'd only be able to have one and so I went to one of the best kennels in America (which fortunately was only about 25 minutes from my house) and waited to get the pup I wanted and then, once I owned her, did not stint on the training. As a result, I've had the undiluted and rare pleasure of having owned a truly wonderful, special hunting dog at least once in my life. To say I owned her, however, is misleading; we were really partners in the field. Granted, she had a few bad habits but I forgive those as quickly as, I hope, she forgives my bad shooting. She found way more birds than I ever shot so I'm in no position to judge.

And because this thread is useless without pics:

This was taken in a duck blind when she was about 4. She loved duck hunting, but was a better upland dog. Too much energy to be happy sitting in a blind.
$image.jpg

Here she is napping with her cousin (my brother's dog) who she helped train. They're bestest friends.

$image.jpg

Forgive the unavoidable crotch shot, but this is her telling me that according to her stomach clock (way, way more precise than any atomic one) it is 18 seconds past suppertime. It's also how she tells me her ears need scratching or she needs to go outside. Mostly though, it's about food.
$image.jpg

Unlike everything else I own, this one cannot be replaced.

I never found the appeal of buying lots of brushes. Maybe because they are the more expensive part of the shaving "hobby".

I'm actually completely minimalist on all my shaving now. I've had the same C&E Best Badger brush for 8 years. Its the first badger brush I bought to replace the Proraso Boar brush that I got at Target when they still carried Proraso products in 2006. Same for the Slant I use every day. I just buy a new puck of soap when one runs out. Nothing fancy, usually just a glycerin based one I can pick up locally and lasts a few months.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My wallet. It's at least 10 years old, and in amazing condition. I have no desire to purchase another one.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
$IMG_2330.jpg

It's a USA Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro. Not the top of the line custom, but it is beautiful and plays well. Rock on.

A 1974 Browning BT-99 Trap gun. 32" barrel, beavertail forearm.

That's the only trap gun for me. I love every inch of it and that's the one gun that made me a Browning man for life.

I could only wish to be in such a position. My late wife was real big on buying the good, then the better, and then the best of everything.

A 1974 Browning BT-99 Trap gun. 32" barrel, beavertail forearm.

That's the only trap gun for me. I love every inch of it and that's the one gun that made me a Browning man for life.

A family friend had one of those. Great gun.

(But I shoot a Beretta...sorry.)

Remington 870 shotgun with the black synthetic shurshot stock- Does everything I need it to and more!

My Conn Strobotuner-the most awesomely accurate tuner I have ever used and I don't even know how old it is!

Omega Professional boar brush- The only brush I have ever needed! Love it and its an amazing value for $9!

If I think of more I will add them haha I am a collector by nature but there are certain things that I find I only need one.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Wife.

I'm also a minimalist and only buy good quality stuff and few items. I never go for the super luxury either.

I also have a rule that I can't buy more clothes if I don't give away (or throw if too damaged) one piece of clothing in exchange. Clutter happens so fast!

... I'm toying with a 2-for-1 rule, that I can't get a new thing unless I wear out two old ones.

"Buy cheap, buy twice"

I have to tell myself this when I deciding on what to buy. Some times I ignore it and end up having to rebuy the more expensive one. When buying tools never buy cheap, they always brake.
Cars! I have bought a few cheap cars as I didnt have enough cash at the time, my first car springs to mind. I paid just about the same out in repairs as I did to buy it till it got written off as a van drove into the back of me.
Next month I am going to have to buy a laptop for college but its going to kill me not the buy the one with the biggest discount.

My Conn 8B trumpet, circa 1970, is still my favorite horn. I've been playing it for 44 years and have never wanted a different horn.

One wife. :) Not looking for an upgrade.

A few others:
- my Bose Soundlink Mini speaker - I use it everywhere, for my computer, in the kitchen when I do dishes, out on the deck...
- moving to cast iron for my frying pans
- I use one whittling knive nearly exclusively along with a pocketknife for travel whittling

Legion

Staff member
... I'm toying with a 2-for-1 rule, that I can't get a new thing unless I wear out two old ones.

I'm doing something similar. I just ordered a fancy fountain pen I have been hankering for, and will hopefully be my #1 pen. Rather than just buying it outright I told myself I needed to sell off some excess stuff, and was only allowed to make the order when my Paypal account had enough in it to cover the purchase. This way I get to minimise and refine what I own at the same time.

Top Bottom