What's new

PIF: Erfa East German razor

Here's a fairly pedestrian yet rarely seen DE razor from the former GDR. From Erfa, the company that made some of the first adjustable razors comes this Tech-like razor. A nice example with some slight fading on the head -- as seen. But for those among you still looking to try out a non-Gillette and slightly vintage razor -- here's an easy opportunity.

Qualifications & rules:
  • More than 200 posts (you need to have some shaving experience and insights)
  • Rarely if ever used a non-Gillette or non-Merkur razor (Erfa was apparently competing with the Merkur company)
  • Active service gents get higher preference in the random selection
  • You agree to write a short and critical (honest) review of your experience shaving with this razor
Deadline for posting that you're interested is Thursday night, August 21, 2014

Photos of this interesting aluminum razor:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

You can see that the head is not pristine. Clean but not totally like new.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cool little piece of history.

I would love to be able to review this razor. Have tried a muhle r89 and a ndc superspeed.

Thanks for the chance.

Interesting razor! I'm pretty sure I do not qualify as I own a fair number of vintage non-Gillette razors. But I look forward to the review by the lucky winner!
Thanks for yet another great PIF, Jake.:001_cool:

I am in, I appreciate this opportunity Jake. I only have a Couple non Gillette vintage DE's. A Star, and a Durham, and have not shaved with either.

Calhoun1 is the winner of this PIF. Thanks for participating and we all look forward to the review once he has a chance to try out the razor. There will be another opportunity so no need to feel you lost. Your winning has simply been delayed.

I apologize for taking so long, but I did receive the razor a couple of days ago. I have not yet had a chance to use it due to my work schedule and family commitments, but I promise a shave and review coming sometime in the next week max, if not this weekend!

To tide you over, here are some pictures!
$uploadfromtaptalk1409364522129.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1409364498339.jpg

I finally have 2 shaves with this razor. Rotating shift work and a 19 month old makes changing the routine a little difficult; I didn't want to try this during normal routine and have it tear up my face right before work!

Now onto my review. This is a nice little razor. I have used a muhle r89 and gillette 40s superspeed. So compared to both of those it is a pretty light razor. I am used to the heft of the the R89.

Overall, this is a mild razor. My first shave with it was with a 4 day beard and MdC Fougere. The top cap didn't want to slide across my face, and I chalk that up to the growth, because the second shave was with TOBS lemon line and only 24 hours of growth. The top cap slid just fine with that.

I do find after each shave a couple of spots not as close as I am used to, but is probably just learning the nuances of a new razor.

Once again thanks for the PIF, and I will keep this razor in my rotation.

That's a cool PIF, Jake. You are definitely the master of the obscure and macabre. I always enjoy your posts and learn from them.

Great review. It's an East German razor. Decent construction but not the heavy duty Apollo style. Nor the finesse of the Fasan. But a decent Tech-like pedestrian shaver. Enjoy it.

Top Bottom