What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat

Love the jar, but not the soap. I've used it three times and now it just sits. Just a matter of taste as there are many here who think its the best.

Love the jar, but not the soap. I've used it three times and now it just sits. Just a matter of taste as there are many here who think its the best.
I love the soap. In fact, it is the only soap that I use year-round, Tabac being my choice for winter.

As for the jar, its classy and pretty to look at sittting on my counter, but too fragile and awkward to hold for practical use. I worry about breaking it every time (knock on wood,) and the puck has never settled in to place in the bowl. Every time I use it, it rotates around and around when I swirl my brush on top. I sometimes have to hold it in place with my thumb in order to get the brush fully loaded.

When I need a replacement of MWF, I will probably get the Kent version in the wooden bowl. Its a lot cheaper, and that wooden bowl should be easier to handle.

But since MWF is so dense and hard-milled, it may be a couple of years before I run out. I may not wait that long until its completely gone, I might replace it next year.

I love the soap. In fact, it is the only soap that I use year-round, Tabac being my choice for winter.

As for the jar, its classy and pretty to look at sittting on my counter, but too fragile and awkward to hold for practical use. I worry about breaking it every time (knock on wood,) and the puck has never settled in to place in the bowl. Every time I use it, it rotates around and around when I swirl my brush on top. I sometimes have to hold it in place with my thumb in order to get the brush fully loaded.

When I need a replacement of MWF, I will probably get the Kent version in the wooden bowl. Its a lot cheaper, and that wooden bowl should be easier to handle.

But since MWF is so dense and hard-milled, it may be a couple of years before I run out. I may not wait that long until its completely gone, I might replace it next year.

I've read a couple times on here about people soaking the puck overnight and it will expand to the edges, consequently no longer spinning.

I have mainly been using creams for DE shaving, but once I switched to SR shaving they didn't quite do it for me. They would always seem to dry out to quickly. I picked up some MFW and Wow what a difference. It definitely provided a slicker feel then creams which greatly improved my SR shave. I'm fairly new to SR shaving, but with MWF I got my first good BBS shave. I'm a believer.

I have a huge problem with wool fat. Now I have an entire closet of soaps and creams I dont use after I started using MWF....

I worry about breaking it every time (knock on wood,) and the puck has never settled in to place in the bowl. Every time I use it, it rotates around and around when I swirl my brush on top. I sometimes have to hold it in place with my thumb in order to get the brush fully loaded.
:eek2:: It should stick on itself...

I have a huge problem with wool fat. Now I have an entire closet of soaps and creams I dont use after I started using MWF....
+1: So good on my skin... :drool:

I have the ceramic dish but I don't use it. I put mwf in a mug which is easier to load in my opinion

I use MWF and admire it; good soap. That said, B&M is:

Softer soap; lathers much easier (for me)
Comes in a variety of scents, all great
Has (for many of them) corresponding AS for the soap, equally wonderful
Cheaper

I've read a couple times on here about people soaking the puck overnight and it will expand to the edges, consequently no longer spinning.
I've done this. There's still a 1/4" gap all around. I just filled it up with distilled water and I'll let it sit for another day or two and see if it will expand any more.

My MWF lay dormant for about 4 years and it was totally dried out. It developed a few deep cracks around the edges. When I soaked it a couple months ago, the puck swelled up enough for the cracks to disappear, but not enough to reach the edges of the ceramic dish.

This is what a 4-year old puck of MWF looks like as it gets rehydrated, each frame was shot about 1 hour apart:

proxy.php

I've been using it off and on since February. I haven't let it completely dry out in all that time. The cracks are all gone now, but it still doesn't reach the edge of the dish. I'll see if some more intensive soak-therapy over the next couple of days might fix it once and for all.

I just purchased a new puck and placed it in the ceramic dish. I covered the entire puck in hot water and let it soak until I finished my shower. Upon preparing to shave, I poured the water out of the dish, took my Duke 2 (fairly dry) and swirled away. The water glues the puck to the bottom of the ceramic dish and it will stay there until the puck is worn away. It's that simple.

@dpm802
This is how my MWF (new bought puck) looks after several weeks of use. No soaking, grating or other funny staff!

$DdsG4IT.jpg

I just checked on the puck which has been submerged in distilled water for the last 24 hours. It hasn't increased in diameter enough to reach the edges of the bowl, so I did the next best thing. I used my thumbs to mold it against the side of the bowl, and scooped out a little from the middle of the puck to pack around the edges.

I can still move the puck around if I force it with my hand, but after a little drying out it should be sufficiently stuck to the bowl so it doesn't move when I put the brush to it. I HOPE. If this fails, I will try grating some of it back into the bowl and see if that helps it stick. If that still doesn't work, I'll probably just chuck it and get a new puck and wooden bowl with the Kent logo.

Actually guys, I think they did some minor changes. I'm using my recently bought puck, and this is not the same soap I've used three years ago. New puck is much easier to leather, at least for me.

Top Bottom