What's new

To All Shaving Soap Makers

Today, I got out one of my precious Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soaps with tallow + lanolin and had a glorious shave. This soap has been discontinued and I think it is an opportunity for a soap maker to start making this. Kent might be a potential customer as the company that made MWF made their shaving soap.

I know I would be first in line to buy some.

Unless the soap maker has access to milling equipment or is willing to age their soaps for a VERY long time, probably not gonna happen. Most artisan soaps are soft for a reason. Big factories won't lift a finger until a customer comes knocking either.

Stirling and Areffa soaps are tallow/lanolin based, lather beautifully, smell good and are readily available. Areffa soaps do take longer to be delivered but the company is in Ukraine which right now does have some problems. They are softer than Mitchells but I look at that as a bonus.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Not an extremely hard soap but...

duke-shave-soap-stirling_1080x.jpg

It's always a bummer when our favorite soaps get discontinued, or change formulas. For me it was SRD, one of the best melt & pour soaps with great scents, like Opus X. I had hoped SRD would pass the formula on, but it was not to be.

But then there are some of us who don't see it as an advantage, we like hard, long-lasting pucks!
Absolutely! Of all the time spent on B&B and fiddling, a few extra swirls is nothing...nor should it be for the more normal Masses. Unfortunately production economics are conspiring against us.

i need to add something here. i think you all think your getting slick shaves from soaps because of conditioning and propaganda they are all relatively the same amout of slickness there are some that are worse than others but amongst the reputiable brands they are soo close in slicknes that if you were to have me lather two different soaps giving only hints at to whcih brand is which i could not tell them apart. no soap for me eith with my straight razor or safety razor has not been jittery and stop and start. its not my straight razors edges either. they pass any test i put them through with flying colors. the problems are the soaps they are all lying to us! every one of them! on "special base formula" is better than any other. its alkl subconcious mind conditioning! they need to be held accountable!

All shaving soaps are not equal. Of course, much depends on face and soap preparation prior to shaving, and each face reacts to soap differently. However, some soaps are simply better than others. Some are far slicker and some feel better on the skin. MWF was a soap that not only was slick, but it had the plus of feeling good on the skin and left a pleasant after shave feel.

I, for one, want edible lather.... or at least something that tastes good. It's a shame to wash the leftover stuff from the brush down the drain when it looks like it would be a great coffee topper.
maybe try some whipped honey.

Top Bottom