What's new

Are Wilkinson Sword and Wilkinson Sword Classic the same blade?

Title says it all. I have a large supply of Classics, and was researching other blades to try and have found both names used by different vendors. Amazon actually has both types. What is the difference? Any clarification will be much appreciated.

I tried this in the newbie check-in and had looks but no answers. Perhaps someone here can help.

Thanks,

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
It seems to me that the "regular" German-made Wilkinson Sword is the same as "Classic", but there is also Gillette Wilkinson Sword.

Last edited:
The Gillette Wilkinson Sword is a budget blade contract manufactured by Gillette in Shanghai for the Indian mass DE budget market. The focus is to be the leader cheapest mass market blade which is dominated by Super-Max. The consumers are like once in a week shavers and look for a cheap use and throw blade. The Indian Permasharp Green and Super Platinum Black are premium products. Hence the shaves are best DFS and won't last beyond a shave or two for most medium to heavy beard growths.

You will also find the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Saloon edition which is still manufactured in India. This is traditionally for road side saloons who use it for one time in a shavette.

Just tried the Gillettes for the first time this morning. Picked them up in a sampler. My opinion is don't bother. First pass with my 37c wasn't comfortable and to the touch you could barely tell it did anything. Threw it away and used a Lord Plat to finish.

The Gillette Wilkinson Sword is a budget blade contract manufactured by Gillette in Shanghai for the Indian mass DE budget market. The focus is to be the leader cheapest mass market blade which is dominated by Super-Max. The consumers are like once in a week shavers and look for a cheap use and throw blade. The Indian Permasharp Green and Super Platinum Black are premium products. Hence the shaves are best DFS and won't last beyond a shave or two for most medium to heavy beard growths.

You will also find the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Saloon edition which is still manufactured in India. This is traditionally for road side saloons who use it for one time in a shavette.

just tried Wilkinson Classic for the first time this morning and it was a great shave. from the first pass i got a smoothness i usually only get with the second pass. only had to do a few touch ups on the neck and didnt feel the need for a second pass.

Hmm, the Classics I have are made in England. The black box variety I have are German made. I haven't used the England blades yet. The German ones seem to me like a smooth but very mild blade. My stubble returned faster than almost any other blade when using these, but they were very kind to my face. So I think I will keep at least a handful for when I need to let my face recover.

My question on these is whether there is a difference between the plastic black boxes made in Germany and the silver metal dispensers also made in Germany.

Last edited:
Hmm, the Classics I have are made in England. The black box variety I have are German made. I haven't used the England blades yet. The German ones seem to me like a smooth but very mild blade. My stubble returned faster than almost any other blade when using these, but they were very kind to my face. So I think I will keep at least a handful for when I need to let my face recover.

My question on these is whether there is a difference between the plastic black boxes made in Germany and the silver metal dispensers also made in Germany.

The English-made Classics are quite good (although not to the level of the vintage blades from the 60's and 70's). I don't know anything about the German ones, sorry.

Okay, after 4 shaves from the same German Wilkinson blade, my opinion of them is still positive. Definitely planning to keep some of these around. I just hope all of the German Wilkinson blades are the same. So far I have found a white box with black insert and a black box with white insert, both on blister cards. I've found a black box with white insert that uses a different box style and comes packaged in 100 packs like Derby. I have also found metal dispensers on blister cards.

Whether they are all the same I have no idea.

Just tried the Gillettes for the first time this morning. Picked them up in a sampler. My opinion is don't bother. First pass with my 37c wasn't comfortable and to the touch you could barely tell it did anything. Threw it away and used a Lord Plat to finish.

+1 - I tried one that came with a razor off the bay, and it was HARSH.

Top Bottom