What's new

Traveling Ink Box

Thanks to AllenG's generosity, I now have 9 nearly full bottles of fountain pen ink. He mentioned that he wanted to get rid of some ink. I offered to take one bottle, but he said it was an all or nothing deal. I just had to cover the shipping cost (about $20 from GA to OR). We discussed it, and we think it would be fun to start a traveling box of ink. We're both aware of the pitfalls with this idea (theft, loss, ending up with a box of only black ink bottles, nobody wanting to participate, etc.).

Anyway, I took 3 bottles of ink from the box (Edelstein Aventurine, Diamine Asa Blue, and Diamine Grey), then added 3 bottles from my collection that I don't use very often (Diamine Steel Blue, Diamine Burnt Sienna, and Noodler's Legal Lapis). I figured I might not be the only person around here with 1) too many nearly full bottles of ink and 2) a few colors I like but just don't use. So here's your chance to try some different inks and maybe trade your ink for something you like better.

The box now contains:

Diamine Steel Blue, Burnt Sienna, and Jet Black
Waterman Black
Noodler's Rome Burning, Widow Maker Red, Walnut, and Whiteness of the Whale

If you're going to play, here are the Rules:

1) The person receiving the ink pays for shipping.
2) Use a sturdy box for shipping.
3) Make sure you wrap each bottle of ink in cling film, then bubble wrap.
4) Send the box via UPS or FedEx.
5) If the box gets beat up in transit, replace it with one in better condition.
6) Keep the box of ink for no more than one week.
7) If you decide to keep a bottle or two, replace them with an equivalent number of bottles (or more) from your collection.
8) Make a post in this thread requesting an "I'm next" when you're ready to ship the box of ink.
9) Coordinate paypal payment and get the next person's address via private message (not in this thread).
9) Ship the box of ink promptly.
10) If we reach a stage where no one wants to be next, the person with the box of ink can do whatever they like with it (keep it all, PIF the ink, try to revive this thread at some point and keep it going, etc.).
11) I'd like to keep this within the continental US, since shipping outside that gets complicated and expensive.

Warning: Research all inks before you put them in your fancy pen! Some inks have a reputation for damaging pens. Play at your own risk, yadda, yadda, yadda.

So any takers? Who's next? I'll ship this box to the first person who posts "I'm next" below.

-Andy

This is an awesome idea! I will have to wait a while before stepping in line. I am about to move to a new house and would not be able to fulfill the turn around obligation until I get settled in.

This is an awesome idea! I will have to wait a while before stepping in line. I am about to move to a new house and would not be able to fulfill the turn around obligation until I get settled in.

Maybe you can get it after Brad, since you're relatively close geographically. We're moving to a "new to us" house (our first and hopefully last!) in 2 or 3 weeks, so I'm hoping to divest myself of this ink soon.

-Andy

The traveling ink box is on its way! It'll be interesting to see what ink folks take from and add to the box.

-Andy

Last edited:
Heck, I'll play too. I already have some premium inks that I wish were just a bit different. By the time it's my turn, I should have my nice pen problem sorted out. I'm in.

I'm still on assignment. I'll get the 1670 to you as soon as I return home. That's looking like it will be tomorrow (Friday).

Thanks. I learned everything I know from the Goulets. Which bottles did you end up liking?

-Andy

I picked out; the Noddler's Rome is Burning, Legal Lapis, Walnut, Diamine Steel Blue.
Replaced it them with; PR Tanzanite, Shoreline, 3 Ink Samples, Visconti Brown, Lamy Blue, J Herbin Perle Noir, Waterman Blue, Omas Blue,
Chelpark Violet,Powdered Ink.

Top Bottom