Overall Weight: 27g
Body: 17g

Length capped: 5.8 inches
Body: 5.3 inches
Posted: 6.5 inches

Nib is 14k gold

Parts

$2014-08-01 22.41.40.jpg

The usual body kit is here, although you can see some things that set this pen apart. The pen has an elongated feed to make up for the longer grip section that houses the adjuster, and you can also see the gold adjuster in protruding from the feed itself.

$2014-08-01 22.42.03.jpg

As usual you will not have to worry about alignment with the feed. As with most of Pilots higher end pens the end of the nib is "pinched" that fits into a notch in the feed to make sure it seats itself correctly.

$2014-08-01 22.42.48.jpg

seated into the grip section, the most obvious difference here is the addition of the adjuster, which not only changes the pens tines from a soft to hard, but also collects ink and acts like a reservoir much like the sailor emperor nib does, this set up truly makes for a wet flowing nib that will not skip, or hasn't yet on me, and has yet to railroad once so far.

$2014-08-01 22.44.03.jpg

The caps pocket clip also has something different then I have seen on a Pilot before, and I had no idea that they had done this, it was a nice surprize and detail to the pen. You can see the gold has been etched to add a little detail to an otherwise bland area of the pen. I really like this touch.

Of course Im not even close to done

Last edited:
$2014-08-01 22.45.11.jpg

This, is the stripped version, as the pen also comes in a beautiful barley version as well. I would have leaped all over the barley but it wasn't in stock when I bought this pen from Engeika (234.00 vs the 312.00 most NA dealers want). Well turns out this wasn't in stock either so I should have ordered the Barley version after all, because really, Im not a fan of the stripped, I would have prefered a solid polished body like my Custom Heritage 912.

$2014-08-01 22.43.53.jpg

the pen is longer then my CH92, its a little fater, and quite a bit longer do to the adjuster mechanism that is housed in the grip section. Its extremely well balanced and comfortable in my hands, and even posted (Which I almost never do) the pen writes beautifully, as well as holding the cap securely to the body when posted.

$2014-08-01 22.44.19.jpg$2014-08-01 22.44.48.jpg

As with all the Pilot pens, the ring is engraved nicely, with Pilot Japan on one side, and Justus on the opposite. always a nice detail although I think the Custom Heritage markings on my 912 are nicer looking, this is a step up from my 92 for sure.

So How does it write ??? well give me a few to get that written up, thats almost a whole new thread in itself... but heres a writing sample I whipped up real quick for you to gander at while I get some first impressions of the nib.

$2014-08-01 22.59.17.jpg

So First lets get one thing out of the way, as a flex pen, well as of right now, it sucks (more on this at the end). The pen has two things against it for a proper flex pen. when in soft mode, the tines do flex much more easily, but unfortunately they also have the pen start with a thicker line so the difference isnt really great enough to be worth the effort, and when in hard mode, well it almost works other then a bit to much pressure problem two springs up. The pen writes wet, really nicely wet, not a problem when writing larger letters, but when writing at a normal spacing the nib will pull from the ink in the flexed out areas and carry it over to where you unflex, making the difference in line width, well not there not when doing cursive anyway,... if you lift the nib from the page and kind of start fresh for every letter it will work as it doesn't drag that extra ink out since you remove the nib from it by doing that. It takes writing space to eat up that extra ink and have the pen return itself to the fine lines, and thus, it doesnt work out to well on either hard or soft setting,... again at the moment.

So is this thing a Gimmick ?, not at all, I watched a few videos on the pen, and the people stated that there is no difference in the line looks just the feeling of the pen, but in both cases they had the mediums,... ao maybe that is the reason I see a difference. in my fine thread there is a difference between the H and S settings, even halfway through rotating those settings you can tell the difference. In the line width you will go from (An asian) fine (Maybe even EF) to a fat Medium, the lines also get wetter, some of this is do to the soft nib letting some of its pinch free even without the nib to page, and I think the "reservoir" effect of the adjuster changes how the pen flows between its positions as well.

The nib writes flawlessly no matter what position you have the adjuster in, Its incredible, I like it better then my 92, or my 912 FA nib, even for a fine, it is a fantastic no scratch nib, and I have yet to be able to make it skip. Its a big performer that hasn't let me down yet.

So what do I think so far. Well its kind of early, and Although I was a bit disappointed about the flex issues at first, getting into the pen I was very pleased with how it wrote, while taking nots on the phone I had it on the hard setting making for quick drying lines that I could write small. playing around I opened it up some to do some signatures and the wetter fatter lines does more to show off the inks colour I had in the pen (Sailor Jentle Sky High for the record). The pen is super comfortable, and well balances, has some great details to its look (But Im still mad I dont have the barley), and is a solid build quality from Pilot (At least in feeling, Ive only had the pen for a day).

So what about the "At least for now" stuff about the nib ?, well I want some work done to it, I want to needlepoint the heck out of the nib so even in the soft setting it is still a super dooper fine nib that I should be able to flex, but im not so sure about it yet, I may talk to John Mottishaw about it at the show to get his thoughts on the pen as he has these and has done work to them before. but its on my mind. Im happy about the pen, and glad to have it, though I am not sure going back I would spend the money again on it, although in its price range im not sure what else I would look at, I would save the pennies I think to go for,... well honestly, I dont know what else, so maybe I would end up with one of these. I do quite like it.... Just don't buy it if your looking for controlled flex​

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Very nice, congrats! Is there much difference to be felt between nib settings?

Looks good, I like black pens (my first Vac, Estie, Sheaffer were all black).

Very nice, congrats! Is there much difference to be felt between nib settings?

Looks good, I like black pens (my first Vac, Estie, Sheaffer were all black).

there is,... Im surprised I could see such a difference when I started playing,.. I edited above to talk more about this but for the simple answer,.. you can see and feel the difference as in hard the tines are pinched pretty narrow, and just backing off the adjuster relaxes the tines, even when just held in the air, so it effects everything from there out. I love black pens as well, usually I go for a silver on black, but I like the gold here

here is some comparisons for size to some other pens

$2014-08-02 01.02.01.jpg
Left to right: Pelikan M205, Pilot CH92, Pilot CH912, Pilot Justus 95, Parker 51

$2014-08-02 01.03.12.jpg
Top to bottom follows left to right above

$2014-08-02 01.11.24.jpg
And I shouldnt say this pen doesnt flex at all, its just not a great option, would be like calling the Pelikan M205 steel nib a flex option is all... compared to my FA on the 912, or my dip pens, this isnt in the same class at all

Thank you for your time and effort in doing such a thorough review. It will be interesting to see if over time it changes somewhat like I've read some comments on the Pilot Falcon nib. Great handwriting! Black and gold still looks classic & classy.

you mean the Pilot FA falcon nib... or the namiki Falcon nib ? and how do those change ? or rather what did you read about them changing... just curious for myself

I had one of those in Fine and it was a wonderfully reliable writer. It won't give a Red or Pink nib any reason to sweat but I loved the modest degree of line variation it provided. SWMBO liked it so much that she adopted it.

You can get the pen in Fine and Medium in the US market but an FM or Fine-Medium variant is available in Asia. Personally, I think the Fine offers the best results.

you mean the Pilot FA falcon nib... or the namiki Falcon nib ? and how do those change ? or rather what did you read about them changing... just curious for myself

Somewhere in my memory, maybe I'm mistaken, I thought I remembered reading some comments on the Namiki Falcon nib "loosening up" with use and having more flex.

Hi James: Thanks for the review and pics, of course. BTW... what color blue is that where you wrote... "Acura and Honda"?

WARHAWK

that is the now discontinued so get it while you can Sailor Jentle Sky High... review available in the review sticky

Somewhere in my memory, maybe I'm mistaken, I thought I remembered reading some comments on the Namiki Falcon nib "loosening up" with use and having more flex.

Great review, James. My Namiki Falcon's SF (soft-fine) nib has become softer over time, so maybe the Justus' nib will soften some. My SF is still only semi-flex, really, but it's easily the most flexible nib I've ever used. I quite like it.

-Andy

Last edited:
Your usual bang-up review, James! That's a tasty little pen and certainly a temptation. Particularly if the Barley version is the same price and availability as the striped. We'll see if I have any cash left after this weekend! :001_rolle

Your usual bang-up review, James! That's a tasty little pen and certainly a temptation. Particularly if the Barley version is the same price and availability as the striped. We'll see if I have any cash left after this weekend! :001_rolle
Its coming with me to the show Larry, so you can get some hands on with it while there

I wish Pilot would do that barley pattern on other pens, not just the Justus.

-Andy

I would have a few more CH series pens if they did for sure lol

Top Bottom