What's new

Uneven Cadet open comb top plate

Hi All,
Got my magnifying glass out and looked at my Cadet open comb razor.
The blade gap either side is very uneven. On the right hand side the blade is almost flat. The handle was tightened down firmly.

I then swapped the top plate with a Weber polished head plate and it looks a lot more even.
I'm going to shave with the combination tomorrow and see what it's like. Hopefully It should be an improvement.

$cadethead2.jpg$cadethead1.jpg

Yep, mine was the same. I took the cap from my DE87 and it worked perfectly, giving a very even gap and exposure on both sides. I then transferred the DE87's imitation ivory handle to it and it gave the razor a whole new look and feel.

$100_1206.jpg$100_1204.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of the first things I check when I acquire a new razor. If the cap's edge is not perfectly flat, you are going to have issues. Remember, the cap is holding the thin blade in place. I have fixed a few razors that had issues with blade gap by using a file to "true up" the edge of the cap. Of course these were razors that already needed to be replated, so I was not worried so much about the finish.

Yep, mine was the same. I took the cap from my DE87 and it worked perfectly, giving a very even gap and exposure on both sides. I then transferred the DE87's imitation ivory handle to it and it gave the razor a whole new look and feel.

View attachment 477976View attachment 477977
That's an interesting combination. I might have to try it with my 'Cannibal' (it likes to eat human flesh - mine) Cadet.

Hi All,
Got my magnifying glass out and looked at my Cadet open comb razor.
The blade gap either side is very uneven. On the right hand side the blade is almost flat. The handle was tightened down firmly.

I then swapped the top plate with a Weber polished head plate and it looks a lot more even.
I'm going to shave with the combination tomorrow and see what it's like. Hopefully It should be an improvement.

View attachment 477830View attachment 477831

That's a great looking razor you've put together there!!!!
Aha! So pirating is still being practiced in Penzance by at least one Cornishman. (Apologies to Gilbert and Sullivan)

Top Bottom