What's new

Help me make a decision, please.

I am ready to upgrade my gear from my starter Van der Hagan set...I have analysis paralysis. Do I go with a nice Merkur set (long handle 180, best brush, stand - about 100 bucks) or, get a really nice Muhle w/ barber pole handle and a nice "best" badger brush from some other vendor...the second option is more expensive. 3rd option, keep my basic VdH razor and spend a good bit on a really nice brush, maybe even a silver tip. As usual, no wrong answers and all input appreciated.

For a beginner razor I would recommend the Muhle R89. It was my first razor and is still my favorite to shave with! Order from the vendor shaving.ie or another european vendor and you will get it much cheaper than anywhere in the states and I received mine within like a weeks time.

Then I would recommend a good boar brush (semogue or omega) don't ignore the boar.

None of this gear is going to be your last. Jagger R89 or Muhle is fine. For brush I suggest a Semogue Boar 1305. Cheap and and awesome performer. All boar brushes require some break in but the 1305 is pretty quick.

Merkur Progress is a great razor with it's adjustability. The B&B essential boar is a nice brush thats quite inexpensive.

I'm about one month in and really enjoy the Merkur 180. I've been getting great shaves (liking the PolSilvers) and it is very forgiving. I love the feel of the boar brush on the skin. And because no one has yet said it in this thread, YMMV.....

I would get a cheap vintage gillette. Techs are very cheap and quite nice. I like the pre war fat handle myself. As far as a brush goes I would get a cheap vintage handle and reknot it with a whipped dog silvertip or a tgn finest.

You could always go the vintage route and look on Ebay for some nice deals.
Vintage gets my vote. Get a Tech, a Long Comb New or an Injector. $25 should cover the razor. Spend $15-30 on a quality Omega or Semogue boar. Any money left over can go towards software.

Vintage gets my vote. Get a Tech, a Long Comb New or an Injector. $25 should cover the razor. Spend $15-30 on a quality Omega or Semogue boar. Any money left over can go towards software.

+1.

You can also pick up an EJ DE89 for about $25-$30 bucks. With a $20-$25 boar brush, you have half of that $100 left over for lots of software goodies!

Vintage never worked for me :sad: so my vote goes definitely to the Weber PH. It might not be your last razor, but it will last you many lifetimes :wink2:

As for the brush: Omega 49 all the way - the best 10$ you will spend in your wet shaving journey. The only reason this will not be your last brush, is because you won't believe that one of the best brushes out there costs only 10$!

Don't waste your money on a stand, because it will limit you. What happens if you don't like the brush and/or the razor? Maybe somewhere down the track get one custom made for the razors and brushes you really love.

Instead spend the money wisely on some great soaps and maybe get your first 100 favourite blades?

Vintages are my favs. Experience the SE and Injectors just for the shave they deliver. Etsy is an excellent source. They have good people to work with and prices are reasonable. Take it slow there is no rush. Just enjoy!

Any of these in any order will do the trick when deciding what will be best for you:

$A lot of brushes.jpg

:001_smile

Last edited:
Top Bottom