What's new

Best pomade.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'll be really interested to hear about your experience with the oil based pomade. I have always shied away from them, for obvious reasons. I always figured our grandmothers put doilies on the backs of chairs for a reason!:lol:

:lol:

I'll post some thoughts when my Lockhart's will arrive. Actually, I also have my eyes on Uppercut Monster Hold, the extra strong oil based pomade from Uppercut.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I like Monster Hold, too. I definitely have PAD...

This morning I had a haircut at my Barbershop and Eliseo, the Master Barber, used Uppercut Monster Hold for the first time with me. Highly impressed. This stuff seems very hard, but gets quickly manageable and easy to spread all over the hair. Excellent hold, excellent scent and beautiful looking tin. By the way, I'm moving from a traditional Flattop that I've been wearing for years now to an Executive Contour inspired on the classic hairstyle of the 1930's. Very Old School. :001_cool:

My favorite pomades (top five in no particular order)

- The Iron Society Old Fashioned Men's Grooming Aid (regular or firm hold)
- DAX Wave & Groom
- Grandad's Old Fashioned Pomade (heavy hold)
- The Classics 40's Style (vanilla tobacco scent, medium hold)
- Schmiere Rumble 59 "Garage Grease" (heavy hold)

Ben

For the base - either Grants Golden Pomade, Paul Mitchell Shaping Cream or Mr. Natty's Paste.

To Finish - Gatsby's Moving Rubber - Wild Shake, the purple container.

I've an abundant mope of very fine, medium long hair. The above puts in me in control but does not look overly styled - and washes out easily at night.

Currently, I really dig Kustom Kreeps' Monster Attack for hold, but I throw a little Slicker Thn Hell on top for fragrance and shine. Both grease-based.

Water-based: Uppercut Deluxe for sure.

But there are so many I haven't tried...

Looking for some recommendations on a pomade, friends. I have short hair that I wear in a side part, but it has started to thin. I've used American Crew Fiber on occasion, but feel that the hold is too strong so as to make the hair above my forehead even thinner and receding, so I generally don't use any product. However, I'm looking for something that will keep it in place and styled for my wedding day in a month without worrying about it, but not something that looks unnatural since I don't otherwise really use a pomade. Any recommendations are most appreciated!

Edit: Has anyone tried the Nancy Boy Styling Cream? I use their shave cream exclusively, so curious as to how the cream performs, particularly given the description that recommends the product for men with thinning hair: http://www.nancyboy.com/Styling-Cream-8p27.htm.

Last edited:
Any recommendations are most appreciated!

Hey sir, you might look into some hair tonic. Pinaud Greaseless Hair Tonic has some holding qualities without making it too crispy. Lucky Tiger Three-Purpose Hair Tonic has a more flexible hold but is a little more greasy.

Good luck and congrats!

JHillhouse on Etsy makes some pretty good pomades, you can get a custom scent and color from him, and they are reasonably priced.

Also, Chicago Classics Pomade does a good job too, just got 2 tins from them.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Got my 3 jars of Lockhart's Goon Grease on Tuesday and coudn't be happier. This stuff is AMAZING: nice, fresh "lemony" scent with a hint of avocado (contains avocado oil), soft texture that allows an easy application but great hold (!). Super easy to comb for a long lasting hold and a lovely shine.

Top Bottom