What's new

Film pif conus

Glass is good too, if you fold up a towel and put the glass on top, it gives a hand honing type buffer for the blade moving against the hone.. if that makes sense?

Now tip track down a nice piece of granite

If you have a custom cabinet maker you might be able to score a junk piece. That what I did and they even beveled the edges and cut it to size, all for free. Well I did drop off a dozen Dunkin donuts as a thank you.
$IMG_20140801_235259.jpg

I don't have any experience in this arena, but I thank you for the opportunity to try this form of honing out. I was curious if you used the 15 & 12 for bevel setting, or do you still use your 1k stone to set the bevel and use the films as progressions to finish?

Also what would you consider the ideal size "plate"? 4 X 10 granite? 3.5 X 9 glass, etc?

Thanks for the info!

Mine want really super in need of a bevel set, but the 15 seemed to cut pretty fast. I found that the float glass I used was a pretty good size - 3" x 12" I think. 3" or 4" x 10" would be about perfect.

I used the 15u to set the bevel. It's quick and works and feels like it's working- which is nice since I'm also a novice.

I used the 12u right after bc I wanted to feel the diff after each grit was maxed out, and the fresh film really shows it.

Oops- hit sent. On my phone so I can't edit.

I used the 15u and 12u for fun. But yes, I also use a 1k stone. In fact I have a 2k stone getting here tomorrow. I love the course grits bc I feel they are easier to gauge success on. The finer grits are what make me wanna quit straights every other month. :)

As for bases, glass is so cheap- I'd get one for each size, 9.25, 6.75, 13.25". Then no matter what size you get or cut it to, you're set.

I think film is great for honing and cheap.

Also, I wouldn't have even tried setting the bevel on the 15u of it weren't already in good shape.

Just got my envelope of fun today! Now to find a suitable piece of glass, and off to the races. I'm going to try and touch up a razor during the week before going for the full progression from bevel to finish on a project razor this weekend. Very excited! Thanks again Isaac!

Yeah I got my envelope today too. I didn't realize I got it today at first because the envelope was small that I thought. lol

Last edited:
Got my envelope today. Many thanks Isaac. Hopefully I'll have a chance to put them to use this week. I got two razors waiting for a little tlc. I'll post progress as soon as I'm able. Thank you again!

Top Bottom