What's new

Haslinger Schafmilch the same as other Haslinger soaps?

I've been using sandalwood and I'm really enjoying it. It's a thirsty soap but once you find it's sweet spot it's amazing.

Since this thread began I've also tried (in addition to the Schafmilch, which I've used for a while) the Ringelblumen and Aloe Vera. They are both excellent, lather just as easily as the Schafmilch, have mild, pleasant scents and a great post-shave feel.

Still like the Schafmilch just a wee bit better, but it seems this company puts out a great product up and down the line.

I was saving my puck of Haslinger Sandalwood until fall but this thread simply was too much of an influence on me. The sandalwood puck has been very nice. Can anyone tell me the difference between the standard sandalwood puck and the spa sandalwood?

Dichotomy: Interesting, all of my Haslinger soaps (Schafmilch, Ringelblumen, Aloe Vera) list potassium tallowate as an ingredient, yet the Haslinger web site (translated) says:

"Early on [Haslinger] renounced not only raw materials of animal origin, but has researched and developed balanced and well-tolerated cosmetic formulations on pure vegetable oil base."

Clearly, the Schafmilch has not only potassium tallowate, but also sheep's milk and lanolin--obviously products of "animal origin."

After a half hour of searching, it became obvious that getting actual ingredients lists for Haslinger shave soaps is very difficult. One retailer has ingredient lists for all the varieties, but each is the same, leading me to suspect they just copied and pasted one of them.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against tallow soaps--far from it--nor am I a chemist. I'm just curious. Is there such a thing as vegetable-based potassium tallowate?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Can anyone tell me the difference between the standard sandalwood puck and the spa sandalwood?

I think they are the same, just a newer label on the spa version, although I haven't tried both yet.

beruhigen = calming

Last edited:
In the general talk forum there is a thread about tallow - someone there suggested that some companies make a "tallow" from vegetable fats. Not sure what the deal is in this case, though. Maybe they do use tallow but want to appeal to the veggie brigade?

I visited the Haslinger factory in Vienna (I used to live there) last December - very nice people!

They have the ingredients list on the back of each puck - I threw mine out...if somebody can post a picture, I am more than happy to translate.

Usually ingredients laws are super strict in Austria, so everything should be listed.

The 2 Sandalwood soaps (and also the aftershaves) are the exact same, just different packaging - I had the same question and asked them directly there. They just use different packaging for different audiences.

BTW: you get a couple % discount if you pick up directly and the person to contact for English speaking people, if you have any more questions is Gabriele Bergauer

I visited the Haslinger factory in Vienna (I used to live there) last December - very nice people!

They have the ingredients list on the back of each puck - I threw mine out...if somebody can post a picture, I am more than happy to translate.

Usually ingredients laws are super strict in Austria, so everything should be listed.

The 2 Sandalwood soaps (and also the aftershaves) are the exact same, just different packaging - I had the same question and asked them directly there. They just use different packaging for different audiences.

BTW: you get a couple % discount if you pick up directly and the person to contact for English speaking people, if you have any more questions is Gabriele Bergauer

Thank-you, sir. My question about the two sandalwood pucks is answered :thumbup1:

I have Haslinger's, Schafmilch & Lanolin and the Sage and really like them. The puck is small though (60g/2.12oz) and overpriced in North America at $10US a puck. In Germany/Austria you can get Haslinger for around 3,25 EUR/$4.30US and that includes their 19% sales tax.

The Schafmilch is on my to purchase list and one of the two soaps I plan to pick on on September 1st between restraints. I am a tallow fan and have heard nothing but great things about it. They are consistently sold out of the Schafmilch at Merz...

Top Bottom