What's new

8/8 W&B For Barbers

Here is my 8/8" for barber's use. It's currently having horn scales made for it at this very moment. Super clean. Original grind. The scales that were on when I received it were a wood coffin style that were made for it by the previous owner.
$IMG_20140322_182802_572.jpg

I just finished one exactly like that... Did a restore on the scales ... It's amazing you'll get the old horn scales brown and crusty, an hour in neats foot oil and a light sanding and buffing and it magically turns black again! Add a dinosaur bone wedge and you have something real special!

PS don't let mycarver see this thread bc he'll put us all to shame!

I just finished one exactly like that... Did a restore on the scales ... It's amazing you'll get the old horn scales brown and crusty, an hour in neats foot oil and a light sanding and buffing and it magically turns black again! Add a dinosaur bone wedge and you have something real special!

PS don't let mycarver see this thread bc he'll put us all to shame!

I've tried to make/restore scales but I just don't have the tools available. First set I made with a dremel did not turn out great. I have about 6 blades right now waiting on scales. I'd hate to spend a fortune to get custom ones done by somebody. Maybe I'll buy a table grinder and scroll saw if I ever find a space with some ventilation to put them.

I've made 20 different scales with hand tools... Minimum I think one would need sand paper, clamp, handsaw (coping saw ideally), dremel .... I should do a tutorial... Hrmm

Yeah I can get the scales cut. It's the wedge that gives me issues. Can't quite get it the right width.

Measure on the blade where you want it to stop on the scales, make the widest part of the wedge that thickness... Next sand you're wedge on each side laying sandpaper on a perfectly flat object and re beach side until you've lapped them flat .. Then lap the inside of your scales touching the wedge flat

You only need a slight angle to the wedge.. Just as long as the end is thinner than the other end

Thank you sir! Btw I never noticed your avatar is Lord Baden Powell. Very cool. I was just going through some of my old OA stuff earlier this week.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Matt, if you don't mind a quick piggyback.... Does this razor have any potential? Same as yours, just more crusty

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 62
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 62
Top Bottom