What's new

Cast Iron Corn Bread

Using a large heavy cast iron skillet is a fantastic way to make corn bread. +1 on pre-heating the skillet with oil before adding the batter.

I haven't done it in a while and don't have the recipe handy, but I used a coarse stone ground corn meal. No flour. No sugar. Sometimes honey, sometimes not. Buttermilk, not regular milk. That is corn bread to me. I don't care for the sweet cake-like corn bread.

EDIT: This is the brand I used, though looks like they've changed it some.

http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/organic-corn-meal/organic-yellow-corn-meal-71518-05103-001_group

You can zoom on the picture of the reverse side and read the recipe, just for the idea. I used a large skillet and doubled the recipe.

As someone already pointed out, there's lots of corn bread variations, just like BBQ, and sometimes strong opinions, just like BBQ.

Last edited:
Of course I assume you mean a member of that pin-striped baseball organization from New York.

Having been born and raised and still having residence in New England, I know you can't possible mean this Red Sox fan. Not for one second did I think your parents lacked food. I ate peanut butter on saltines for lunch today because I wanted to. But peas and cornbread would have been wicked bettah. I wish I had some cornbread handy.

I saw that remark also and found it at best a bit uniformed. I think that the post to which you are responding to may be making some uninformed assumptions. If he knew anything about New England culture, he would know that there are plenty of humble meals that date back centuries.

Wow. Thanks all for your guidance everyone. I'm off to the shop to stock up on ingredients.

I've given the pan a decent seasoning and cooked a few things without much sticking so hopefully it'll be right.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Wow. Thanks all for your guidance everyone. I'm off to the shop to stock up on ingredients.

I've given the pan a decent seasoning and cooked a few things without much sticking so hopefully it'll be right.

good luck!

let us know how it goes!

It'll be fine. It will also be one of the most delicious things that you've eaten in a long time. :001_smile

My skillet is now in oven with cornbread batter. I admit I cheat, but a Trader Joes mix is pretty good, includes whole kernels, and most importantly, my daughter eats it.
Never done it in cast iron before, 35 minutes to go...

Cast iron skillets are to cooking what DE/SE razors are to shaving! Last forever and just work better.

When making cornbread in mine I like to preheat the skillet in the oven, then take it out and put a couple pats of butter in it to melt before I put the cornbread batter in it.

Maybe 5 minutes overdone. Got thumbs up from the girl :)
"Moist in the middle but crunchy on the outside. I like it"

$uploadfromtaptalk1406417588544.jpg

Costco has Marie Calenders corn bread mix in big bags in October or November.

It always comes out great in Cast Iron, I spray Pam in mine for this, I add butter to the mix once in skillet.

Honey & Butter, Jelly/Jam & Butter, mushroom soup gravy.

I don't drink regular milk, I wonder how Vanilla Soy milk gravy would be?

I wonder how Vanilla Soy milk gravy would be?

As one who has consumed hundreds of gallons of soy milk over my life, and tried to use it everywhere, I will tell you that it's not a great substitute in baking.

If you fiddle with it enough you can get it right, probably. And certainly if the recipe specifies water or milk it should work fine, since it's mostly water.

But if the recipe is dependent on the milk solids for anything, like proper browning, it's problematic.

I always use the unflavored instead of the vanilla.

Of course I assume you mean a member of that pin-striped baseball organization from New York.

Having been born and raised and still having residence in New England, I know you can't possible mean this Red Sox fan....

Oh, I know the difference between Yankees & Yankee$ ... about 4 million dollars a year salary difference ... :laugh:

As one who has consumed hundreds of gallons of soy milk over my life, and tried to use it everywhere, I will tell you that it's not a great substitute in baking.

If you fiddle with it enough you can get it right, probably. And certainly if the recipe specifies water or milk it should work fine, since it's mostly water.

But if the recipe is dependent on the milk solids for anything, like proper browning, it's problematic.

I always use the unflavored instead of the vanilla.

Point taken, Vanilla Soy works good for Pancakes, but I think for the gravy I'll mix in some Cream of Mushroom soup and bacon grease, :)

Good luck on your first cornbread adventure! As has been mentioned, there are numerous ways to prepare it. The three versions that come to mind are sweet, unsweetened, and spicy. You may want to try a recipe from each camp to see if you have a strong preference. You can also change up the recipes by adding items such as corn kernels, diced onion, shredded cheese, or anything else you like. Once you become addicted to cornbread it's a slippery slope to hush puppies and hoecakes.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406497265.622682.jpg

1 egg beaten
1/4 cup veggie oil
1-3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups corn meal.

Stir well by hand. Not too much. Not too little.

450 degrees 22 minutes. Pre heat the skillet with the oven. Oil it well beforehand.

Batter will sizzle when you pour it in. Turn your skillet a time or two while it bakes.

When it starts getting golden on top, turn it over and it pops right out in your palm. Then plate it.

I put a dab of butter on mine and enjoy.

Cast iron is great for all sorts of cooking.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406497607.958640.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406497618.493894.jpg

Addicted bad to peanut oil fried chicken. Lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom